Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2017, 06:40:24 AM

Author
Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58 (Read 28,611 times)

SiL

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 10, 2017, 12:24:07 AM
They aren't AUTOMATIC indicators. Obviously, this gets quite subjective, but I think most people with a decent taste, i. e. people who are not absolute plebeians, can agree that most superhero movies suck, even though those movies rack in quite a lot of money and probably awards too.
People with taste and who understand what makes good films -- rather than plebians trying to chest-thump online -- don't think that most super hero movies suck (at least, not these days). Their issue is usually that they're cookie-cutter, generic, risk-free fair that ticks all the boxes of basic filmmaking competence, but are ultimately disposable and offer nothing substantial to viewers after the first viewing.

From there the issue isn't even that this is a bad thing in itself; it's just that it pervades an entire genre, and we're getting inundated with these things. The occasional $200+ superhero beat-em-up would be fine, but we're getting close on two a year from Marvel and one a year from DC, and they're sucking the attention and money from other movies.

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 09, 2017, 05:49:27 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 09, 2017, 05:16:00 PM
QuoteThe guy is a shit director, this is objective fact.

Lets see, District 9... 4 Academy Award nominations including best picture and best screenplay for "Blomhack". Made back more than x7 it's production budget at the box office. Yep, shit director and that's an "objective fact".

Blomkamp admitted Elysium and Chappie were bad (publicly saying this is so stupid if you want studios to take you seriously for work). I don't think he has the competence to make an Alien movie. He might if somebody else writes it.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Blomkamp - let him do some AvP films. If the result turns out to be awesome beyond the visuals, he can try to do that with a proper Alien film and then some. He obviously has talent and I loved District 9 but he needs to prove himself with another strong feature film, i'm not convinced by the Oats Studio shorts.

SM

SM

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 10, 2017, 01:20:20 AM

Lets see, District 9... 4 Academy Award nominations including best picture and best screenplay for "Blomhack". Made back more than x7 it's production budget at the box office. Yep, shit director and that's an "objective fact".

Blomkamp admitted Elysium and Chappie were bad (publicly saying this is so stupid if you want studios to take you seriously for work). I don't think he has the competence to make an Alien movie. He might if somebody else writes it.

He said Elysium wasn't executed as well as the idea he had in his head.  Saying both films were bad sounds like an exaggeration.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: SM on Dec 10, 2017, 06:23:21 AM

He said Elysium wasn't executed as well as the idea he had in his head.

Which is usually the mark of a perfectionist, not someone who hates all his work.

Scorpio

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 10, 2017, 09:04:59 AM

Which is usually the mark of a perfectionist, not someone who hates all his work.

A perfectionist would have gotten it right the first time.

SM

SM

So when did he say both films were "bad"?

Corporal Hicks

Personally, I find someone having the ability to acknowledge his own flaws and want to work on them is reassuring.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 10, 2017, 07:14:12 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 10, 2017, 09:04:59 AM

A perfectionist would have gotten it right the first time.

That's not how it works.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed