Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 218,871 times)

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 14, 2013, 12:48:23 AM
And the best part is, none of you really know, because none of you have really played it ;)

Probably because games like this aren't made for MP.  It's usually just something they throw in to please a minority.  I imagine most folks who have been waiting for this game aren't interested in the MP.

Unfortunately this time it seems like the MP is the only thing keeping the game afloat, sad as it is.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 14, 2013, 12:53:12 AM
This is the Aliens game we've been waiting for.
Maybe what you've been looking for. For the majority though, not so much.

Dusk

Dusk

I honestly never wasted a thought on MP. I wanted this for the co-op. And with Gearbox developing, I was sure they would put some effort into it. They didn't.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Cal427eb on Feb 14, 2013, 12:54:53 AM
Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 14, 2013, 12:53:12 AM
This is the Aliens game we've been waiting for.
Maybe what you've been looking for. For the majority though, not so much.

We're all individuals. I've been a fan of this franchise since I was 4 years old. Now at 24 I couldn't care less what the majority feel, this game fills a void that I've been waiting for. Go figure.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I'm just glad you have a broad spectrum of opinions now. :laugh: The ratio is about right, because the game really does fail on a lot of what it promised to deliver.

But I'm just sharing my experience, because the magic is in the multiplayer. Lots to do, and bugs yes but patches and DLC should make a decent product great.

I don't regret buying this game strictly because of the mp, though I'm enjoying the coop for what it is (which isn't much.) I've already had some of the most awesome Aliens moments in the mp, more than I've almost ever had in a game, and I'm so happy I did. It does get it just as close if not closer than any game in the past, and sometimes it genuinely shines.

Dat all. Good luck with your decision dude, hope we were helpful. :laugh:

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 14, 2013, 12:27:30 AM
A lot of the reviews have some fundamental problems:

1 - They don't play it on a difficulty that makes the game challenging, or the Xenomorphs remotely dangerous, then they bitch that it was too easy. How could you bitch about how easy a game was without playing it on the hardest difficulty setting?

2 - Hardly any of the reviewers even mention the multiplayer, other than to say "oh it's pretty alright" and move on, which is hilarious give the amount of content actually in the multiplayer portion of the game. By all rights, that's the main focus here, and the campaign is just an afterthought typical CoD or BF style. But no, people have to shit themselves over the campaign mode.

Campaigns usually suck ass anyway. These reviewers are mostly losers for not delving deeper into what the mp had to offer. They played the campaign and ragequit, shitting all over the game like the most butthurt fanboys.

Sad, but let's hope players stick around. My games have been all full so far, and I've hardly had any problems with people dropping out.

No worse than a lot of other games that get better scores, people just like to shit on it because of the hype they tried to build. It's by no means a 2/10, but in order to realize that you have to play mp.

Might as well play through the Battlefield 3 campaign on normal and then say the whole game is a piece of shit. ::)

I'm an avid gamer, and with friends, the mp is waaaaay more fun than a lot of stuff out there. Sad that so many fans are going to miss out because of Johnny Wackit's IGN review with about 20 minutes of multiplayer under his belt.

I agree to an extent. Hardened mode on my own was a bitch. And I had a far better time playing MP than SP. But in the end it's still not a great game. I give it a 6. Pretty much the same score I would give AVP 2010.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Effectz on Feb 13, 2013, 04:45:06 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

Best thing to come out of the game.
That shit was hilarious.

Slaine

Slaine

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 14, 2013, 01:08:00 AM
I'm just glad you have a broad spectrum of opinions now. :laugh: The ratio is about right, because the game really does fail on a lot of what it promised to deliver.

But I'm just sharing my experience, because the magic is in the multiplayer. Lots to do, and bugs yes but patches and DLC should make a decent product great.

I don't regret buying this game strictly because of the mp, though I'm enjoying the coop for what it is (which isn't much.) I've already had some of the most awesome Aliens moments in the mp, more than I've almost ever had in a game, and I'm so happy I did. It does get it just as close if not closer than any game in the past, and sometimes it genuinely shines.

I got rid of the game today, but I will say that the multiplayer is fun once you get the hang of it. I could see myself playing it a bit more, but since I the trade-in price for the game is high, i got rid of it..for now. I would have been much happier if they sold the multiplayer alone, as a budget downloadable title- because as simple as it is, the multiplayer is okay.

The campaign really was pointless.

I'll probably buy the game at a later date when it's really cheap.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Slaine on Feb 14, 2013, 01:46:07 AM

I got rid of the game today, but I will say that the multiplayer is fun once you get the hang of it. I could see myself playing it a bit more, but since I the trade-in price for the game is high, i got rid of it..for now. I would have been much happier if they sold the multiplayer alone, as a budget downloadable title- because as simple as it is, the multiplayer is okay.

I may do the same. How much did they give you for it? Mine would be unopened.

Slaine

Slaine

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 14, 2013, 02:00:04 AM
Quote from: Slaine on Feb 14, 2013, 01:46:07 AM

I may do the same. How much did they give you for it? Mine would be unopened.

I'm in the UK, went to CEX and they gave me £30 credit for it, or cash is £28.

It'll likely go lower during the week I bet, as more people trade it in...

Funny thing is when I traded it in, I already saw 4 pre-owned copies of it on the shelf. I went in the morning, too, which means those people must have traded it in on the same day of release!

Alien³

Alien³

Or the staff at CEX bought it to have on shelves.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 14, 2013, 02:15:48 AM
Or the staff at CEX bought it to have on shelves.

OMG, SHUT UP DUDE. STOP. We get it. You love this mediocre game.

Bugnubbinz

Bugnubbinz

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Feb 13, 2013, 08:35:42 PM
Quote from: Bugnubbinz on Feb 13, 2013, 08:32:44 PM
Quote from: teras on Feb 13, 2013, 12:47:52 PM
Quote from: Bugnubbinz on Feb 13, 2013, 05:18:06 AM
New here, but not to the Aliens franchise.

I got my pre-ordered copy of the game today, and have played through half of the campaign as well as trying out each of the multiplayer modes.

While IGN and Metacritic will have you believe that this is a terrible game with graphical issues and poor presentation, let me dispel any apprehension you may have right now. THIS GAME IS FANTASTIC!!

Critics are misguidedly looking for the next-gen FPS CoD-killer, whereas die-hard Aliens fans will be looking for a true sequel to James Cameron's Aliens. This game represents that, more than any movie-adapted video game I've ever played. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a stalwart example of atmosphere and story done right. With a wonderfully-crafted narrative and a deep, tension-driven, and exciting campaign just ooooooozing with all the fan service and spine-shuddering chills that we've been waiting for with an Aliens franchise game. No true fan will should be disappointed.

Gameplay-wise, you're looking at a campaign mode filled with tight shooting, dark corridors, and some superb voice acting including the return of several actors from Aliens including Lance Hendrickson and Michael Biehn. Weapons feel powerful and accurate, the arsenal of the true badasses that the Colonial Marines are (with the one notable exception of the Assault Rifle...with its wimpy 3-round burst, ineffectual sound design, and the fact that it's completely extraneous since the Pulse Rifle is better in every way). The sound design is dead-on, with everything from doors opening to motion tracker pings to pulse rifle blasts sounding exactly like their movie counterparts.

As for the Multiplayer (otherwise known as "why I will keep playing this game after i'm done with the 6-hour campaign"), the game offers some great sustainability in the way of many different game modes (all of which are teams of xenos vs. teams of marines; some of which the marines have only 1 life while xenos respawn constantly) and a TON of unlockable content for customizing your weapons and armor, xeno attacks, and appearance for both sides. The game modes offer a varied assortment of objectives and gameplay styles, and are a ton of fun.

As for the downsides....which every game has. As of today, the communications aspect of multiplayer is buggy (I tried chatting multiple times and the mike connection only worked about 1/3 of the time). There seems to be some lag or frame stuttering during mutliplayer matches during the downtime between rounds, but i'm not sure what caused it. All in all, any issues are minor compared to just how fun the game is!

The Verdict: 8.9/10 for me, the best Aliens game of the last fifteen years.

You are being sarcastic right? Right?  ???

No, I am not. I enjoy this game thoroughly. Stop hating

No where in the post you quoted does he say he 'hated' the game so why call him a hater. One thing about this whole debacle is that it has really helped me weed out the 'ignore user' posters.

Sick to death of this 'hater' shit that gets thrown at any form of criticism. Take A:CM for example;
''The graphics are poor'' stop hating
''AI is bad'' stop hating
''Story is bad'' stop hating.

Hate is a very strong word to describe what is fair and constructive criticism of this deeply flawed game.

You know what? You're actually right. I'm sorry (seriously, no sarcasm intended). People are free to have their opinions on the game, and it IS definitely a flawed one. I just get fed up with the lack of support that so many fans show, and it feels like a lot of people are unwilling to look past minor imperfections a lot of the time.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Bugnubbinz on Feb 14, 2013, 03:31:48 AMI just get fed up with the lack of support that so many fans show, and it feels like a lot of people are unwilling to look past minor imperfections a lot of the time.
This game has WAAAYYY worse than minor imperfections. The game is broken.

Bugnubbinz

Bugnubbinz

Quote from: Cal427eb on Feb 14, 2013, 03:34:32 AM
Quote from: Bugnubbinz on Feb 14, 2013, 03:31:48 AMI just get fed up with the lack of support that so many fans show, and it feels like a lot of people are unwilling to look past minor imperfections a lot of the time.
This game has WAAAYYY worse than minor imperfections. The game is broken.
I know, I'm not saying it doesn't. I just meant I was sick of people griping about graphics (seriously, they weren't god-awful or unplayably bad graphics, just...lackluster).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed