Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 218,800 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: [T)A]DarkDragon on Feb 13, 2013, 04:34:23 AM
Quote from: Mister T on Feb 13, 2013, 12:26:16 AM
we were led to believe that it would be "canon" to the film and "a true sequel."

you believed that?

That's not really the point is it?

Why do we let game developers off the hook for that kind of crap? Would you let someone sell you a lemon of a car after hyping it up to you? You get it out of the dealership and breaks down, even though he told you it was in excellent shape with only a few miles on it. You're gonna drive back there and tear him a new a**hole, right?

Aceburster

Aceburster

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 13, 2013, 04:40:25 AM
Quote from: [T)A]DarkDragon on Feb 13, 2013, 04:34:23 AM
Quote from: Mister T on Feb 13, 2013, 12:26:16 AM
we were led to believe that it would be "canon" to the film and "a true sequel."

you believed that?

That's not really the point is it?

Why do we let game developers off the hook for that kind of crap? Would you let someone sell you a lemon of a car after hyping it up to you? You get it out of the dealership and breaks down, even though he told you it was in excellent shape with only a few miles on it. You're gonna drive back there and tear him a new a**hole, right?

I kinda agree. Software guys can get away with murder. Whats to stop someone from putting together a slick fake demo with a high poly count in a specific genre and literally delivering pong at the last minute. Not much.

As long as they put an asterisk that says "may not represent finished product" I dont think anyone can do anything about it. Video game makers are starting to dev the same way chinese devs make the clone games/systems sold at flea markets.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Multiplayer is surprisingly good so instead of a 4/10 I'll give it an 6/10. The xeno controls are horrible as is the matchmaking system but if they can fix this the multiplayer could be very fun.

Bugnubbinz

Bugnubbinz

New here, but not to the Aliens franchise.

I got my pre-ordered copy of the game today, and have played through half of the campaign as well as trying out each of the multiplayer modes.

While IGN and Metacritic will have you believe that this is a terrible game with graphical issues and poor presentation, let me dispel any apprehension you may have right now. THIS GAME IS FANTASTIC!!

Critics are misguidedly looking for the next-gen FPS CoD-killer, whereas die-hard Aliens fans will be looking for a true sequel to James Cameron's Aliens. This game represents that, more than any movie-adapted video game I've ever played. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a stalwart example of atmosphere and story done right. With a wonderfully-crafted narrative and a deep, tension-driven, and exciting campaign just ooooooozing with all the fan service and spine-shuddering chills that we've been waiting for with an Aliens franchise game. No true fan will should be disappointed.

Gameplay-wise, you're looking at a campaign mode filled with tight shooting, dark corridors, and some superb voice acting including the return of several actors from Aliens including Lance Hendrickson and Michael Biehn. Weapons feel powerful and accurate, the arsenal of the true badasses that the Colonial Marines are (with the one notable exception of the Assault Rifle...with its wimpy 3-round burst, ineffectual sound design, and the fact that it's completely extraneous since the Pulse Rifle is better in every way). The sound design is dead-on, with everything from doors opening to motion tracker pings to pulse rifle blasts sounding exactly like their movie counterparts.

As for the Multiplayer (otherwise known as "why I will keep playing this game after i'm done with the 6-hour campaign"), the game offers some great sustainability in the way of many different game modes (all of which are teams of xenos vs. teams of marines; some of which the marines have only 1 life while xenos respawn constantly) and a TON of unlockable content for customizing your weapons and armor, xeno attacks, and appearance for both sides. The game modes offer a varied assortment of objectives and gameplay styles, and are a ton of fun.

As for the downsides....which every game has. As of today, the communications aspect of multiplayer is buggy (I tried chatting multiple times and the mike connection only worked about 1/3 of the time). There seems to be some lag or frame stuttering during mutliplayer matches during the downtime between rounds, but i'm not sure what caused it. All in all, any issues are minor compared to just how fun the game is!

The Verdict: 8.9/10 for me, the best Aliens game of the last fifteen years.

JayHy17

JayHy17

just finished the story...

its cool to have hicks back, but the game was so bad it took away what we all wanted.  mp is ok...

5/10

And stuff

And stuff

The negatives:

Overall the game was a huge, steaming pile of shit.  From the audio to the animations, the game was a failure.  Not only was it very very short (I got to the end of the game thinking I was finally on the first boss), but it was riddled with glitches and bugs.  I died due to getting stuck on surfaces way too many times.  After waiting about 5 years for the game to come out, I'm very disappointed in the final product.  I don't even understand how a game this short and simple took so long to complete.  It's pretty much the same two level designs (the creepy alien hives and the creepyish human complexes) over and over again.  I had to turn the brightness down to the first tick above the lowest setting to feel any ambiance at all.  The sound effects were minimal - there were no foodstep sfx, no sfx for alien attacks, and poor world sfx.  Poor script and poor voice acting as well.  In other words, the audio for this game (other than the stuff they ripped from the movies, and the soundtrack) is complete shit.

And this is all without mentioning the ugly new alien designs.

The positives:

The graphics for the levels were pretty sweet, as were the aliens themselves.  I liked going through the levels and feeling like something could jump out at me and look damn good doing it.  However I was let down, because very few times does anything jump out at you like xenomorphs tend to do.  It felt more like I was playing the Halo 1 flood levels with alien skins over everything.  Also, the soundtrack and the audio they took from the movies was pretty good, as I mentioned before.

All in all it was a bad game.  Even with all the sloppy programming I would've been able to enjoy the game if it had some alien'esq ambiance, but it didn't.  The game felt like it was a demo awaiting a beta stage or executive producer to tighten it up.  It seemed to me like no one was hired to play the game and tell the developers what needed to be fixed, like a song before the mastering process or a book before it's been proofread.  And the saddest part of it all is that the game does have a lot potential - if they would've finished it.  But that would've taken another 2 years.

If you're on PC, do yourself a favor and check it out before purchasing it.  See if you think it's worth your money.  Piratebay, type "colonial marines" into the search and find Mr.Stifmeister's upload.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Iv only played MP so fat and it's fun as hell. I watched my bro play the campaign and after all the negative stuff I heard about the graphics I had my worries. However I'm actually surprised as they're better than I thought they were going to be. Environmental lighting is very good and the indoor sections are interesting. The marine models are terrible though eexpressionless faces arent good. MP is a huge improvement on AVP. Better matchmaking system, that can be sosomewhat slow. It works well most of the time. It's also much more balance and fun to play. Alien controls are fiddly as a muthaf**ka but once I got used to the wall climbing they were fine. Hit detection can be off but it's not driven me up the wall yet like black ops 2. Maps are very good. Not too big and not too small, I like how it promotes players to usr basic tactics in order to win. In my opinion I'd give the MP a 7/10, and from what iv seen the campaign is a 5/10 because it's so generic. Why is O'Neil such a hussy when he looks like a bad ass?!?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: And stuff on Feb 13, 2013, 05:33:55 AM
The negatives:

Overall the game was a huge, steaming pile of shit.  From the audio to the animations, the game was a failure.  Not only was it very very short (I got to the end of the game thinking I was finally on the first boss), but it was riddled with glitches and bugs.  I died due to getting stuck on surfaces way too many times.  After waiting about 5 years for the game to come out, I'm very disappointed in the final product.  I don't even understand how a game this short and simple took so long to complete.  It's pretty much the same two level designs (the creepy alien hives and the creepyish human complexes) over and over again.  I had to turn the brightness down to the first tick above the lowest setting to feel any ambiance at all.  The sound effects were minimal - there were no foodstep sfx, no sfx for alien attacks, and poor world sfx.  Poor script and poor voice acting as well.  In other words, the audio for this game (other than the stuff they ripped from the movies, and the soundtrack) is complete shit.

The positives:

The graphics for the levels were pretty sweet, as were the aliens themselves.  I liked going through the levels and feeling like something could jump out at me and look damn good doing it.  However I was let down, because very few times does anything jump out at you like xenomorphs tend to do.  It felt more like I was playing the Halo 1 flood levels with alien skins over everything.  Also, the soundtrack and the audio they took from the movies was pretty good, as I mentioned before.

All in all it was a bad game.  Even with all the sloppy programming I would've been able to enjoy the game if it had some alien'esq ambiance, but it didn't.  The game felt like it was a demo awaiting a beta stage or executive producer to tighten it up.  It seemed to me like no one was hired to play the game and tell the developers what needed to be fixed, like a song before the mastering process or a book before it's been proofread.  And the saddest part of it all is that the game does have a lot potential - if they would've finished it.  But that would've taken another 2 years.

If you're on PC, do yourself a favor and check it out before purchasing it.  See if you think it's worth your money.

You might want to remove that link. And did you really think that it had GOOD graphics?

Dusk

Dusk

You probably shouldn't quote the link either.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Shit you're right.  :laugh:

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Cal427eb on Feb 13, 2013, 05:37:03 AM
Quote from: And stuff on Feb 13, 2013, 05:33:55 AM
The negatives:

The positives:

If you're on PC, do yourself a favor and check it out before purchasing it.  See if you think it's worth your money.

You might want to remove that link. And did you really think that it had GOOD graphics?

Thanks for the warning..  And yeah, I mean, they weren't Dead Space 3 graphics, but they were okay for what they were.  Yes, they were really repetetive but they weren't terrible.  Some layering of more environmental effects would've been the icing on the cow shit cake though.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Biggest problem I saw was the dumb AI. Everything else wad serviceable. It feels much less clunky compared to AVP. No longer is it like your surrounded by treacle

Dusk

Dusk

I still haven't played this game. I'm waiting for the price to go way, way down. But AvP was clunky? I'm currently playing the game again and think that everything Rebellion did was pretty solid. IMO, everything is in place. The only reason the game sucked was because the story was so utterly lackluster.

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 13, 2013, 05:50:18 AM
I still haven't played this game. I'm waiting for the price to go way, way down. But AvP was clunky? I'm currently playing the game again and think that everything Rebellion did was pretty solid. IMO, everything is in place. The only reason the game sucked was because the story was so utterly lackluster.

Do you play on PC?  If so don't buy it, just pirate it.  At least not before you decide if you like it.

Dusk

Dusk

Already got in trouble because of piracy. Lesson learned.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed