Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 221,170 times)

teras

teras

Gearbox made the mistake of starting the campaign with the Sulaco.
If the first level was Hadley's hope, the reception would have been better because first impressions are most important.
Anyway, with all it's shortcomings it's still a fun game to play when you actually play.
And I insist that it's miles better than AvP 2010!

SilkySilly

SilkySilly

Avp 2010 was a AAA title.

(video games) A video game expected to sell well, typically with a higher budget than budget software.[1]

Darkness

Darkness

I must admit it took a bit too long to get to Hadley's Hope. It was nice to have a change of scenery.

SilkySilly

SilkySilly

They did drag out the sulaco section. I think level 2 was fun but pointless. They game picks up when you hit hadleys hope

Kalawaki

Kalawaki

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 10, 2013, 09:08:08 AM
Quote from: Vertigo on Feb 10, 2013, 12:40:01 AM
Quote from: Darkness on Feb 09, 2013, 09:09:46 PMThe game isn't scary but I don't think the series ever can be.

Really? All of the AvP games can be exceptionally scary in my opinion.

Perhaps when they first came out. But nowadays, we've seen the creatures that many times, they're just not scary any more.

Quote from: Kalawaki on Feb 10, 2013, 12:55:47 AM
Quote from: Darkness on Feb 09, 2013, 09:09:46 PM
The motion tracker should also be part of the HUD, not tucked away.
I disagree entirely. It was a seperate device in the film that the marines had to holister their weapons and hold out in front of them, it was never a part of their HUD. I prefer it this way, it adds more gameplay. "Should I keep my weapon ready, or sneak a quick glance at the tracker since it's pinging?"

I get that it's a separate thing in the movies but you'll barely use it in singleplayer because of that. Apart from the first encounter with an alien, you never need it because there's always so many of them around you. I think if it was on screen, it would add to the tension a bit more hearing the beeps all the time.
So let me get this straight.

You guys are all complaining that this game isn't immersive and has very little atmosphere, and yet you want to get rid of one of the only gameplay mechanics that add immersion? A gameplay mechanic that was shown to be used in the exact same way in the films, no less.

Brilliance.

Darkness

Darkness

No, the opposite. I wanted the motion tracker on the screen all the time, not hidden away.

Elicas

Elicas

I think the issue is that the tracker is useless because there are so many Aliens on screen. What's the point when they are literally coming out of the walls? You don't see them using a tracker in the Hive once the shit hits the fan. On the other hand, the tracker is excellently well done when fighting Lurkers in the Hives.

Basically all the Warriors should have been scrapped, and every level consist of 4-5 Lurkers who can kill you in one hit. Sorted.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Kalawaki, I know you're a faith-driven apologist and all, but do try to understand what people are saying. The motion tracker adds nothing to the experience because the gameplay seldom requires it. Like everything else, it's a novelty item. Try playing one of the AvP games where it's part of the HUD, and you'll see that it's of more persistent use (also having to do with the Aliens trying to stalk instead of rush).

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

It just occurred to me that being able to use the Motion Tracker is no different than occasionally glancing at a motion tracker that is a part of your hud...holy f**k this knowledge saddens me. Regardless, I think it's a nice addition, but yeah.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Let's see if it's a more valuable dynamic in MP where human wit comes into play.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 10, 2013, 10:43:29 AM
I don't think it'll sell anywhere near as much as AvP did.

Why? People wanted another game and AVP was a letdown. I can see sheer sales just because of the name alone.

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 10, 2013, 11:27:02 AM
It just occurred to me that being able to use the Motion Tracker is no different than occasionally glancing at a motion tracker that is a part of your hud...holy f**k this knowledge saddens me. Regardless, I think it's a nice addition, but yeah.

That icon is too small to tell where movement is and how far. I don't really think it's a big deal. I'd rather not have it at all though. Rely on your ears when the pings start going off.

Darkness

Darkness

We were all waiting for an AvP game forever. It already had an established franchise. The only thing ACM has is the fact it's based on Aliens. Is that enough? Plus, the marketing for ACM has been pretty poor compared to AvP.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 10, 2013, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: Darkness on Feb 10, 2013, 10:43:29 AM
I don't think it'll sell anywhere near as much as AvP did.

Why? People wanted another game and AVP was a letdown. I can see sheer sales just because of the name alone.

Not necessarily, a major part of the gaming turnover is going to be your typical 16-20 year old male right? I suggested to my nephew to wait for reviews before buying the new Aliens game as he always buys the latest shooters. Not only had he never heard of this game, he'd never heard of or seen the original Alien quadrilogy, his entire knowledge of Aliens and Predators is that AVP and AVP:R were shit, and who cares about those things anyways?

He's 17, and we're in the UK (maybe Aliens is more prevalent in the states, I do not know) but at least in my experience, anyone under the age of 25 is a very real minority in the Aliens fanbase. Even tried running a D&D campaign recently at my local FLGS based on recreating the film Aliens. We got one sign up, out of a forum with over two hundred gaming members, because it wasn't 40k or Warmachine and most of them had either never heard of Aliens or thought it was simply old and shit.

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 10, 2013, 10:46:24 AM
Quote from: SilkySilly on Feb 10, 2013, 10:20:58 AM
What is wrong with u people the game is brilliant. Seems like all u want to do is hurt the sales of this game and then will never be an aliens game ever again and this forum will have nothing to moan about seeing as u killed the franchise with ur whining.
Yeah man, I'm hoping for a good, hm, let's say six thousand unit sale loss because of my negative review of the campaign.

Quote from: SilkySilly on Feb 10, 2013, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 10, 2013, 10:25:33 AM
What a load of wank.

There's been plenty of unsuccessful Aliens games. We still ended up with this one being made. There'll always be more.

And the last unseccessful AAA aliens title was called what
The last AAA Aliens title was called what?

Aliens Infestation (DS) 10/10
Aliens Resurrection (PSX) 10/10  (just the movie killed this game for me aswell...i just couldnt play it)
/and imo Aliens vs Predator: Extinction (PS2) 8/10 /

these games imo had everything u want in an Aliens game and they are quality games

i like really AVP2 aswell because of the scary atmosphere on that distant planet but had some annoying bugs for me...eg. saved a bunch of marines in a scripted alien attack where they supposed to die...then they stood there in the hallway waiting for the colony to explode.. -.-' a big moment killer not to have a line for this situation like "we are going after you buddy or something..."
AND YES I JUST HATED THIS IN IT thats why is just a 8/10 for me :D

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I can't believe not only Aliens: Infestation but also AVP 2010 might turn out to be a lot better games than this...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed