Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 220,520 times)

Xeno_Killer

Xeno_Killer

I'm also enjoying the game immensely, it's not perfect but its still great fun and very playable.

Dachande

Dachande

ATTN: Byohazard.

From what i've looked through each Xeno has 3 different head customisations. the Warrior has three that look like dinosaur skulls, some of which look pretty sweet. The Spitter has 3 variations of the bulbous green sacs, with different patterns. ATM i can't remember all the Lurker one's, but the one that springs to mind was a really awesome looking one with no dome, a sort of spiked mohawk, and the original Alien face, so it looks kinda like a skull.

Darkness

Darkness

I just finished playing the campaign. Took me exactly six hours. Here's my thoughts coming from someone who has barely followed the game for the past few months.

The good:

Rooted in the Aliens universe but I don't consider it canon.

Graphics look fine to me. Environments are very nicely detailed. I liked being able to explore Hadley's Hope and the Derelict even if everything is very linear in nature.

Iron Sights and been able to crouch are a big plus.

The atmosphere, I guess.

Some alien classes that we've not seen before.

Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen. Even though they didn't have much to do. It was nice having the connection.

Ability to upgrade your weapons.

The bad:

The character models could be a lot better. How they look and move.

There's quite a few bugs. Lip-sync issues. A lot of doors seem to take to up to 30 seconds to open. Not sure if that's a bug or deliberate. The way the xenos move and die. Some seem to vanish in front of you while others explode.

Marines - I didn't like how the shooting felt. Maybe it was the sound effects. But it felt very weird when you hit a human or a xeno. For some reason it was hard getting the gun steady with iron sights. Aiming for headshots if near impossible as the gun is bouncing around. Doesn't seem to do it when you upgrade it though.

The weapon selection menu thing is a mess quite frankly. Takes way too long to get what you want. The motion tracker should also be part of the HUD, not tucked away.

The game isn't scary but I don't think the series ever can be.

The biggest complaint for me is the complete lack of story. There really isn't one. There's very few cut scenes that actually explains anything and the game ends rather abruptly. The game basically gives you the chance to explore the Sulaco, Hadleys Hope and the Derelict while doing some objectives. That's it. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it could have been so much better.

How does it compare to AvP? Hard to say as there were three separate campaigns in AVP with varied environments and gameplay. I'd say Rebellion were a lot more passionate about the franchise than Gearbox ever was. At the end of the day though, it's just a game set in the Aliens universe and in a few months, we'll have forgotten all about it. It's just not worth arguing about the things that could have been better.

Enenra

Enenra

Darkness, why can you only hurt? I could laugh off the fan reviews as people expecting too much, but I trust you. I really wanted this game to be just average, above average maybe.

Damn. DS3 and A:CM. GoW Judgement is going to be this way too. The only silver lining is at least Halo 4 is popular and I like it.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Enenra on Feb 09, 2013, 10:25:21 PM
Darkness, why can you only hurt? I could laugh off the fan reviews as people expecting too much, but I trust you. I really wanted this game to be just average, above average maybe.

Damn. DS3 and A:CM. GoW Judgement is going to be this way too. The only silver lining is at least Halo 4 is popular and I like it.

I liked Halo 4 as well but there were some things I definitely did not like. But it was still a very good game.

Skull

Skull

I got the game today . i have not yet completed singleplayer but i am pretty far in . I must say i realy like it so far . Yes sure it feels kind of dated it has some bugs here and there but i hope a patch will be released soon for this. only thing is story could have been better and the scare factor is almost except for mission 5 not present . Multiplayer is also  little buggy but i have had a blast so far :) . its realy cool to stalk and pounce your buddys from the dark .  i will give it a solid 7 out of 10 , just dont go in expecting the ultimate alien experience . still think avp 2 holds that title, for me that is .

spychi

spychi

Quote from: Enenra on Feb 09, 2013, 10:25:21 PM

Dead Space 3 is an awesome game, A:CM completly the opposite. The game just ruined my entire day. I would have rather spend my money on something different, or even give my money to charity... instead I am stuck with a box I don't want to open anymore...
I am no longer pre-ordering games... such a waste of everything including my hopes

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 09, 2013, 09:09:46 PMThe game isn't scary but I don't think the series ever can be.

Really? All of the AvP games can be exceptionally scary in my opinion.

Kalawaki

Kalawaki

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 09, 2013, 09:09:46 PM
The motion tracker should also be part of the HUD, not tucked away.
I disagree entirely. It was a seperate device in the film that the marines had to holister their weapons and hold out in front of them, it was never a part of their HUD. I prefer it this way, it adds more gameplay. "Should I keep my weapon ready, or sneak a quick glance at the tracker since it's pinging?"

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kalawaki on Feb 10, 2013, 12:55:47 AM
Quote from: Darkness on Feb 09, 2013, 09:09:46 PM
The motion tracker should also be part of the HUD, not tucked away.
I disagree entirely. It was a seperate device in the film that the marines had to holister their weapons and hold out in front of them, it was never a part of their HUD. I prefer it this way, it adds more gameplay. "Should I keep my weapon ready, or sneak a quick glance at the tracker since it's pinging?"

In fact, several mods for various games made that the way it functioned. You had to pull it out, and risk being caught off guard.

Aliens : Online, had it that way too. Which I thought was way cooler, especially because it took up a large chunk of your screen.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

alot of people are completely off topic. i clicked on here to read reviews not people bitching about a game they've yet to play.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 10, 2013, 02:06:52 AM
alot of people are completely off topic. i clicked on here to read reviews not people bitching about a game they've yet to play.
This. Every time I've looked at this thread.

Kalawaki

Kalawaki

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 10, 2013, 02:15:30 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 10, 2013, 02:06:52 AM
This. Every time I've looked at this thread.
Seconded.

SiL

SiL

Cos posting "This thread is off topic" and have it followed by two posts that contribute f**k-all but "Agreed" is helping.

I don't know how far through I am -- I just finished the mission The Raven -- and so far my only gripes stem from two things:

* It's about as tense as watching kittens frolicking in a field of daffodils
* Their attempts to make the game flow with the game are making me pick holes in it where I otherwise wouldn't care.

There's no threat from the Aliens. The only times I've died so far have been from accidentally blowing myself up with a pulse rifle grenade, a sentry gun cutting me down before I saw it, and getting trounced by the first boss thing because we couldn't see the pipe we were supposed to run through to get around him. I'm amazed at the utter, utter lack of any kind of suspense or atmosphere in the game, which is a first for me playing an Aliens-related FPS. The AvP games, particularly the first two PC ones, were tense as balls and they barely had Aliens in their first marine missions (Slash none at all for AvP2).

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: SiL on Feb 10, 2013, 04:34:59 AM
Cos posting "This thread is off topic" and have it followed by two posts that contribute f**k-all but "Agreed" is helping.

I don't know how far through I am -- I just finished the mission The Raven -- and so far my only gripes stem from two things:

* It's about as tense as watching kittens frolicking in a field of daffodils
* Their attempts to make the game flow with the game are making me pick holes in it where I otherwise wouldn't care.

There's no threat from the Aliens. The only times I've died so far have been from accidentally blowing myself up with a pulse rifle grenade, a sentry gun cutting me down before I saw it, and getting trounced by the first boss thing because we couldn't see the pipe we were supposed to run through to get around him. I'm amazed at the utter, utter lack of any kind of suspense or atmosphere in the game, which is a first for me playing an Aliens-related FPS. The AvP games, particularly the first two PC ones, were tense as balls and they barely had Aliens in their first marine missions (Slash none at all for AvP2).

I might have missed it earlier, but what difficulty are you paying as? And how does the shooting feel? The Gunplay in borderlands 1 felt too floaty, but they improved it quite a bit in the sequel and I'm curious how it compares.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed