Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 09, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All (Read 94,774 times)

BlueMarsalis79

It does benefit considerably that's obviously part of the discussion at large he makes that clear in multiple instances in his work.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 17, 2021, 01:55:01 PM
It does benefit considerably that's obviously part of the discussion at large he makes that clear in multiple instances in his work.

Tommy has not created even one game where gameplay mechanics and gameplay loop is considered the best of the best or even just one of the best.

Do you know why A:Iso did not sell well or why the majority of gamers are not asking for more games with such gameplay?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

This discussion's going nowhere.

You can not like it but you will never convince me that it's not one of the best survival horror stealth titles.

Especially not over someone's who's got the proof that they really know what they're talking about and I just honestly feel like you don't.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

AI didnt sell well because it was ambitious and not part of the watered down, hand holding Call of Duty brigade that the modern gamer loves. Fireteam elite will outsell it by miles just because of the type of game it is, regardless of final quality. I applaud CA for attempting to recreate an Alien experience rather than an Aliens one like every other game does. I played through AI last week and it is just as brilliant as it ever was. The unpredictability of the AI is a large part of replicating such a terrifying experience every time.

Reisdent Evil Remake is regarded as not only the best game in that franchise, but one of the greatest survival horror experiences of all time, but its sales figures are poor compared to something like RE6 which is considered one of the poorest and most superficial games in the series.

AI not selling well has absolutely nothing to do with 'poor' gameplay.

Hemi

Hemi

It sold/Is selling pretty damn good actually.. it just didn't make enough money for Sega standards. They had high hopes and flushed it all on marketing.

I think people are just a bit sour after ACM and were expecting more pew pew, not hide and seek.

Personally I replay it a lot, just to feel te terror of that wonderfull creature. Nothing like it.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm not in any way a game pro and I'm not very versed in all of the technical details. I'm not gonna claim that Isolation has THE BEST gameplay mechanics in the genre. All I know is that hiding from Stompy is fun and tense and I like going back to it which for me iare the marks of a good gameplay

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 17, 2021, 02:04:50 PM
This discussion's going nowhere.

You can not like it but you will never convince me that it's not one of the best survival horror stealth titles.

Especially not over someone's who's got the proof that they really know what they're talking about and I just honestly feel like you don't.

Yes, emotionally attachment the game causes it as it is Alien themed.

Survival horror is one element and stealth another one. A:Iso is not one of the best in any of those.

FYI I have about 40 years of experience with video games. Even by playing them you can see what effectively works and what does not. And you know how specific implementations and refinement was received by players in their times.

Tommy does not have any proof as he did not create any functional game that is considered one of the best examples to follow.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 17, 2021, 02:15:35 PM
AI didnt sell well because it was ambitious and not part of the watered down, hand holding Call of Duty brigade that the modern gamer loves. Fireteam elite will outsell it by miles just because of the type of game it is, regardless of final quality. I applaud CA for attempting to recreate an Alien experience rather than an Aliens one like every other game does. I played through AI last week and it is just as brilliant as it ever was. The unpredictability of the AI is a large part of replicating such a terrifying experience every time.

Reisdent Evil Remake is regarded as not only the best game in that franchise, but one of the greatest survival horror experiences of all time, but its sales figures are poor compared to something like RE6 which is considered one of the poorest and most superficial games in the series.

AI not selling well has absolutely nothing to do with 'poor' gameplay.

A:Iso did not sell well because its gameplay is not enjoyable in a long run. BTW I am not a fan of CoD games and I have never been. The only game close to it I enjoyed was Syndicate (2012) and it has to do a lot with its gameplay refinement and aesthetic color contrasts that is better for human eye perception.

Yes, AFTE has a chance outselling all Alien franchise based games as it focuses more on enjoyable gameplay than graphics or cinematics.

To reiterate we talk about gameplay itself, not faithful representation of Alien 1979 cinematic experience in a form of video game. Also you mentioned the main reason why better AI is not always good for video games. The unpredictability. AI should always be manageable by player either by difficulty settings or getting better at it. Not just by luck. It was especially tested in fighting games 1 on 1.

REmake did not sell well for its time because it was released exclusively on Nintendo console. Less RE fans owned it. Its cinematic graphics were novelty at the time but gameplay wise is worse than the original (floaty less responsive movement, color contrasts).

RE6 is just an action RE themed shooter that aimed at wider audience.

A:Iso has everything to do with poor gameplay as it is in niche category. If the game was not Alien themed it would sell even worse.

Quote from: Hemi on Aug 17, 2021, 02:42:28 PM
It sold/Is selling pretty damn good actually.. it just didn't make enough money for Sega standards. They had high hopes and flushed it all on marketing.

I think people are just a bit sour after ACM and were expecting more pew pew, not hide and seek.

Personally I replay it a lot, just to feel te terror of that wonderfull creature. Nothing like it.

More than 2.1 million is not much for such investment.

Hide and seek gameplay on its own was always niche.

Again I do not criticize graphics or cinematic experience. Just gameplay.

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2021, 02:59:44 PM
I'm not in any way a game pro and I'm not very versed in all of the technical details. I'm not gonna claim that Isolation has THE BEST gameplay mechanics in the genre. All I know is that hiding from Stompy is fun and tense and I like going back to it which for me iare the marks of a good gameplay

And it is all good. Nowhere I said that people should not enjoy games with average or bad gameplay. Even I do this.

Kradan

Kradan

But is it bad if I enjoy it ? Unironically so ?

Ok, I'll ask it that way: why Isolation's gameplay ISN'T good ?

PAS Spinelli

What is it with the outstandingly bad takes changing the topic of threads for this game? First we have the "aliens aren't tall enough", then the "aliens sound bad", and now we have a "isolation isn't actually good" one, Jesus

Kradan

Kradan

I warned you

QuoteA feeling

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

There isnt anything wrong with AI'S gameplay in the slightest. This is all just a manner of personal opinion. What limited its sales was simply the type of game it was trying to be. The game plays perfectly fine.

A better version of Colonial Marines would always outsell something like Isolation because that type of game appeals much more to the wider demographic of the modern gamer. Isolation does not. It's much more niche. The same would be said if they made another fixed camera RE game. Hardcore RE fans would lap it up, the average gamer would not. And again, that is a testament to Creative Assembly taking that risk with Isolation.

Isolation has its faults as most games do, but suggesting the gameplay is poor is completely baseless.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 17, 2021, 04:05:18 PM
What is it with the outstandingly bad takes changing the topic of threads for this game? First we have the "aliens aren't tall enough", then the "aliens sound bad", and now we have a "isolation isn't actually good" one, Jesus

Weren't you the guy that wanted the Marines to do death blows on the Aliens?

U r the godfather of astoundingly bad takes.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2021, 03:57:01 PM

Where did I say that it is bad because you enjoy it. What other games do you enjoy with FPS hiding mechanics where other elements of gameplay are afterthought fillers?

Because hiding mechanics on its own are not compelling. Especially in first person view where you can't see if your character is visible for enemies or not.

Also its collectathon of resources, crafting and shooting mechanics are more like fillers than properly refined part of the game. Not to mention it is not clear what really is interactive without getting closer to objects and augmented reality indicator.

Not A:Iso but its gameplay.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 17, 2021, 04:50:27 PM

Weren't you the guy that wanted the Marines to do death blows on the Aliens?

U r the godfather of astoundingly bad takes.
No, I wasn't? I specifically shat on ACM and AvP 2010 for letting you punch aliens to death lol

What I said is that I find it fine that well placed blows can stagger the Runners, since someone was able to last 20 seconds while wrestling a fully grown one in Alien 3, and that, while extra unlikely, it could be in the realms of possibility to kill an alien (which would probably get you killed in the process) with a well placed attacked, NEVER did I say I want marines do punch Aliens to death.

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: molasar on Aug 17, 2021, 04:53:54 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2021, 03:57:01 PM

Where did I say that it is bad because you enjoy it. What other games do you enjoy with FPS hiding mechanics where other elements of gameplay are afterthought fillers?

Because hiding mechanics on its own are not compelling. Especially in first person view where you can't see if your character is visible for enemies or not.

Also its collectathon of resources, crafting and shooting mechanics are more like fillers than properly refined part of the game. Not to mention it is not clear what really is interactive without getting closer to objects and augmented reality indicator.

No A:Iso but its gameplay.

Yeah no, A:I is fine thanks. You just don't like videogames. XD

(that was a little joke btw)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed