'Suprise' Revealed! *Spoliers*

Started by War Wager, Dec 21, 2007, 04:59:36 PM

Author
'Suprise' Revealed! *Spoliers* (Read 39,556 times)

yautjarod

yautjarod

Quote from: brad873 on Dec 22, 2007, 06:02:40 PM
havent we already seen ms yatuni. as far as i can tell, that was the first bit of AVP-R we ever saw. it was in that show, and we see the mfilming her

I supose she is japanese , no ?  :)

Porkus Maximus

She is supposed to be Japanese but the actress looks Chinese.  I often wonder if Asian people get insulted when they get asked to play a difference race?  It's the same principle as asking an African to play a Jamaican, they're both black so who'll tell the difference amirite?

That Yellow Alien

Wait, you can tell the difference?

WisePredator

The actress who play Ms. Yutani is Chinese-Canadian.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Dec 22, 2007, 06:19:53 PM
Wait, you can tell the difference?

To a certain extent, it's not hard.  It's especially easy when you know their last name.  In this case, Yip.  So yeah, Chinese ancestry.

Colin_Strause

Quote from: War Wager on Dec 21, 2007, 04:59:36 PM
Do you think the 'suprise' promised a while back has already been seen? I can remember Greg said that it would be 'something sci-fi fan's will go nuts over.' So could it have been the new reproduction method, the multiple burstings, the "get to the choppa" line, that we see Ms Yutani and the end or something else?

I sure hope it'll be something we haven't seen yet...  :-\

95% of the people who will see this movie don't sit on the internet all day long watching every clip that they can get their hands on, so for them none of the surprises have been ruined.

But the hard core fans spoil the movie for themselves by watching clips that we only suppose to be for over-seas markets, and by reading  spolier reviews. I see there are over 800 views on the spoiler thread... which is really sad. Why ruin the movie like that? You'll never be able to fully enjoy it now, so what's the point?

windebieste

windebieste

Colin, I can understand that the marketing of movies has changed a lot over the past quarter Century since the original ALIEN was released in 1979; but back then, Scott decided to hold all the cards very close to his chest regarding the creature's design. 

Also, Fox never released any details about the creature's appearance publicly until well after the fiilm was released.  It took a dedicated Fan to search through magazines of the day to find out anything about the creature at all.  I know, because I have been an ALIEN fan since then.

Now we just have to open Google and voila!  ...instantly, anyone can find details of what the creatures appearing in the movie look like.  Hey, even the movie trailer I have seen in cinemas probably shows the audience too much.    It aint exactly a big secret what the Predalien looks like, now is it?

I would have been a lot happier if more information on the movie's Human characters had been publicly released and all the publicity stills regarding the creatures had been held onto until after the film's release.   We have seen very little about the main Human characters, but it would seem an over-abundance of Alien/Predator action has already graced our monitors.

I still think that a lot can be learned from how ALIEN was marketed back then - when marketing a movie meant a lot was done with very little revealed.

-Windebieste.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 23, 2007, 12:34:40 AM
Do you think the 'suprise' promised a while back has already been seen? I can remember Greg said that it would be 'something sci-fi fan's will go nuts over.' So could it have been the new reproduction method, the multiple burstings, the "get to the choppa" line, that we see Ms Yutani and the end or something else?

95% of the people who will see this movie don't sit on the internet all day long watching every clip that they can get their hands on, so for them none of the surprises have been ruined.

But the hard core fans spoil the movie for themselves by watching clips that we only suppose to be for over-seas markets, and by reading  spolier reviews. I see there are over 800 views on the spoiler thread... which is really sad. Why ruin the movie like that? You'll never be able to fully enjoy it now, so what's the point?

"enjoy"?

:D

War Wager

War Wager

Colin, 95% of people that see this do sit on the internet all day long! It wouldn't have been as bad if 7, (yes 7) clips of the movie had not been shown. Plus way too much was shown in the trailers. I know you don't have any control over the marketing, so it's not your fault, but "one of the best marketing agencys in Hollywood" haven't marketed the movie, they've spolied it. Not to mention stripped it of all it's horror and suprises.

Colin_Strause

Quote from: War Wager on Dec 23, 2007, 12:58:58 AM

Colin, 95% of people that see this do sit on the internet all day long! It wouldn't have been as bad if 7, (yes 7) clips of the movie had not been shown. Plus way too much was shown in the trailers. I know you don't have any control over the marketing, so it's not your fault, but "one of the best marketing agencys in Hollywood" haven't marketed the movie, they've spolied it. Not to mention stripped it of all it's horror and suprises.

All of these websites don't add up to the hundreds of thousands and millions of people that have to see this movie to make it successful.

War Wager

War Wager

I know that, but you're average movie goer who see's the trailer in cinemas has already had some horror staken away. I mean when they first see Molly's dad in the movie, aren't they meant to care about him and hope that he survives? There'd be no point because they already know exactly what happens to him. Plus that scene would have been a big scare in the cinema, imagine how high people would have jumped...

Colin_Strause

Quote from: War Wager on Dec 23, 2007, 01:09:22 AM
I know that, but you're average movie goer who see's the trailer in cinemas has already had some horror staken away. I mean when they first see Molly's dad in the movie, aren't they meant to care about him and hope that he survives? There'd be no point because they already know exactly what happens to him. Plus that scene would have been a big scare in the cinema, imagine how high people would have jumped...

I agree with that. We didn't want that shot in the tailer, but at the same time we need to make an impact with the marketing. But you could say that of almost any film, where usually many of the biggest shots/moments are in the trailers.

windebieste

windebieste

Sure, it is all in the way the marketing of the film is handled, but more characterisation above spectacle would have been a better way of presenting the trailer. 

From what I have seen of AvP-R marketing so far, it looks like a big Japanese audience targeted monster-fest with any real Human story elements pushed into the background.

I am not sure the marketing is working in the favour of telling the Human side of the story.

-Windebieste.

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 23, 2007, 01:11:56 AM
Quote from: War Wager on Dec 23, 2007, 01:09:22 AM

I agree with that. We didn't want that shot in the tailer, but at the same time we need to make an impact with the marketing. But you could say that of almost any film, where usually many of the biggest shots/moments are in the trailers.

That scene's good in away, it's a really good shot, one of my favourites.  8) I like it how theres only quick glimpses of the PredAlien too, that was a good move.  

But do you see what I'm getting at? You say it's part horror / part action, but it's really just action now, all because of the marketing. I'm sure that there'll plently more shocks though...

crumbs

crumbs

Well I think you've done an awesome job Colin, despite what the naysayers think. And I hope I'm pleasantly entertained for 95 minutes in less than 48 hours when I check it out.

I also notice my local cinema has entrusted AVP-R as its tentpole release for their super sized cinema (about 1000 seats -- called 'VMAX', the largest cinema in the southern hemisphere, and I work there!!) for Boxing Day, which draws crowds of about 10,000 people! So I'll be hoping to rip as many tickets for your film as I can!

Some of you obsessive fanboys are hilarious. Contradictory at every turn... you spend 8-10 months whinging you know nothing about the film, and now you complain that you know too much (whose fault is that? YOURS, for looking!). You haven't even seen the movie in its entirety and you feel like you can already make judgments against it. And worst of all, Colin and Greg both appear to be the only directors to stand up to Fox's 'creative' script notes like the Predalien inheriting Predtech and behavioural patterns (skinning victims), and cut it out of the film. Let me assure you, winning a battle like that against Fox execs? Bloody hard.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed