Dan Trachtenberg’s Predator Film Now Titled Prey, Set for Summer 2022 Streaming Release!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 12, 2021, 02:26:00 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg’s Predator Film Now Titled Prey, Set for Summer 2022 Streaming Release! (Read 25,901 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 12, 2021, 03:01:11 PM
Yep, I prefered Skulls too. And didn't europeans already came to America in the 1700's ?

Columbus arrived in 1492. Vikings long before him.  America was already colonized by Europeans in 1565.

HuDaFuK

Kinda dig the title actually.

I'm still approaching this with caution but I'm kinda liking pretty much everything we're hearing.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Trouble's gonna be pissed about the title change though...

It'll be ice-cream for him for sure.

Truth teller

Lets be honest. The only good predator movies are Predator and Predator 2. From the time when one needs poweful, well trained, true warriors to take down an Yatuja. Now they put slender silly teens to do the same job. Politically correct garbage.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Prey - to me at least - is the first one since Predator 2 that actually seems to understand the appeal of the original film. Take a film genre/setting, drop a Predator in, and watch chaos ensue.

Among many other problems that they have, Predators and The Predator try too hard to worldbuild and establish a fully realized universe. I admittedly like Predators' game preserve planet concept, but the film itself can't support the weight of that and just kind of fizzles out by the middle and never picks itself back up (maybe if Rodriguez had personally directed the film he might have been able to inject a bit more energy into it, who knows). And I don't even know where to start with The Predator...

Predator 2's worldbuilding, on the creature side of things, isn't a narrative crutch and instead works in service of letting us explore a bit about the film's particular Predator's personality (he's kind of a dick! :D).

Quote from: Truth teller on Nov 12, 2021, 06:52:23 PM
Politically correct garbage.

Yawn.

skhellter

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 12, 2021, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 12, 2021, 03:01:11 PM
Yep, I prefered Skulls too. And didn't europeans already came to America in the 1700's ?

Columbus arrived in 1492. Vikings long before him.  America was already colonized by Europeans in 1565.

The battle was still going on in the 1700s in the Texas area of the country. Mexico I believe too. Colonists from Spain versus the Comanche.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

America is petty big though, so I suppose it's possible that this girl's tribe had not yet come into contact with Europeans.

If it was filmed in Canada it may be set in the American North-West, which was still mostly unexplored by Europeans at that time. First Europeans only landed in Washington in 1775.

Wysps

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 12, 2021, 07:39:12 PM
America is petty big though, so I suppose it's possible that this girl's tribe had not yet come into contact with Europeans.

If it was filmed in Canada it may be set in the American North-West, which was still mostly unexplored by Europeans at that time. First Europeans only landed in Washington in 1775.

The Plains are South Central and Southwestern, so there would have already been Spanish colonists there during that period.  If they're setting it in early 1700's, then there would probably not have been contact.  If it's set in the mid-1700's, then there would have been contact with the Spanish.

So they're probably just setting it during the early 1700's, just prior to first contact with the Spanish.  Either way, the claw marks on the Prey script looks like bear claws so, here's hoping we get to see a Grizzly  :)

Truth teller

Lets be honest. The only good predator movies are Predator and Predator 2. From the time when one needs poweful, well trained, true warriors to take down an Yatuja. Now they put slender silly teens to do the same job. Politically correct garbage.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

i think the scale of the predator in the photo released is intentional. NGL, if the predator is gigantic its going to pull a really interesting twist to the whole franchise. But then maybe the female lead is suppose to be super tiny. like 4 foot 3 or something.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 12, 2021, 07:11:25 PM
Prey - to me at least - is the first one since Predator 2 that actually seems to understand the appeal of the original film. Take a film genre/setting, drop a Predator in, and watch chaos ensue.

...and have that prey view the Predator through a mythological / supernatural prism.

Yep, agreed, it feels like "Prey" will be the first film since "Predator 2" to check all the right boxes.  1. Unique setting, 2. Unique protagonist and 3. Mythological prism 

skhellter

let's not hype ourselves up too much.....

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed