Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 315,285 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 20, 2021, 10:07:50 PM
Yes people do complain (and complain about people complaining like I did) here about everything.

Personally I try to be mindful about how often and how I go about my criticisms, even with things in the franchises I really don't like.

We've driven away franchise creators from this forum before who were kind enough to engage with us because of how poorly we've gone about criticisms, and although StudioADI doesn't currently have a social media manager active here like they did before, that may not always be the case. Hell I regret how I went about things with NECA even though I thought I was being civil.

As SizzyBubbles mentioned, just gets tiring, there are threads to discuss it till heart's content. And like her, I also agree with some of the criticisms of ADI designs, as much as I overall love that studio. There's a distinct difference between constructive criticism in the appropriate places and endless trolling/bullying.

Are you suggesting the recent activity in this thread as endless trolling/bullying? I think the matter at hand is, if you weren't a fan of ADI Predators, it wouldn't be bothering you, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I doubt Phillip Kennedy Johnson and artist Salvador Larroca will be interested in talking to us after some of the things and jokes you have said in these forums, but you're never calling the creators 'names' and neither do the people who criticize ADI Predators. They criticize the work, but have nice things to say about the people themselves and other work.

The point is, we can't get angry over people not liking ADI Predators but be fine with people not liking the creative team over Marvel Comics. We have to be true to ourselves. Otherwise we'll be accused of kowtowing to creatives like some other outlets will be.

SiL

SiL

Nobody's getting angry at people disliking anything.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I'm saying the recent activity compounded with the history of this sort of activity could be considered as such to some.

Sure I'm a fan of ADI, call me biased if you like. But if people constantly brought up complaints in this, that, and the other thread about a specific thing that plenty of people do like, I'd say "maybe ease up a bit?" as I'm attempting to say here.

If I thought the Winston designs were shit (I'd be crazy) and brought it up any time that studio was mentioned even in passing, I'd wager you might get a bit irritated yourself.

So to say akin to: "If you didn't like the thing you like that we constantly bash you wouldn't be annoyed." I mean... yeah, that's correct.

Sparingly I think it's fine to poke at things we dislike when the topic arises, but ad nauseum it's... well, nauseating.

But as I said, there are threads for it too should folks want to rant about it endlessly. Not trying to silence anyone, just sharing perspective here.

With Larroca it's an ethical issue, so that's a bit different I'd say. Tristan Jones who is friendly with PKJ has called out the art publicly. We probably wouldn't want to talk to Larroca either.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 20, 2021, 11:42:23 PM
I'm saying the recent activity compounded with the history of this sort of activity could be considered as such to some.

Sure I'm a fan of ADI, call me biased if you like. But if people constantly brought up complaints in this, that, and the other thread about a specific thing that plenty of people do like, I'd say "maybe ease up a bit?" as I'm attempting to say here.

If I thought the Winston designs were shit (I'd be crazy) and brought it up any time that studio was mentioned even in passing, I'd wager you might get a bit irritated yourself.

So to say akin to: "If you didn't like the thing you like that we constantly bash you wouldn't be annoyed." I mean... yeah, that's correct.

Sparingly I think it's fine to poke at things we dislike when the topic arises, but ad nauseum it's... well, nauseating.

But as I said, there are threads for it too should folks want to rant about it endlessly. Not trying to silence anyone, just sharing perspective here.

With Larroca it's an ethical issue, so that's a bit different I'd say. Tristan Jones who is friendly with PKJ has called out the art publicly. We probably wouldn't want to talk to Larroca either.

We'll disagree if its "ad nauseum." But again, I didn't even start the conversation. Let me repeat that, I didn't even start the conversation. And many participated. And none of it was mean spirited. So unless we're going to be banning our community from saying how they feel about creature designs, or banning me from participating, I'm not certain where we're going here.

Again, I always suggest for anyone to take a step back from any topic we're passionate about, if they sense their starting to feel heated about it, feel their skin may be thinner on the particular topic, especially if they're one seemingly in the minority opinion. A community member did the very same thing in our Marvel Alien comic thread that I very much like, and unfortunately lashed out. So I gave him the same advice. Because I do think there was definitely some lashing out today, even if it was edited afterwards.

It's important for all of us to remember we're all fans here. Cheers mate! Cheers to all. I really do love everyone here. This whole community. The crazy and the extra crazys. The confident. The insecure. The artists. The haters and the lovers. The nihilists and the existentialists. Can't express how much I appreciate everyone in our AvPGalaxy community and what makes everyone special in their own way. Just love ya all!

SiL

SiL

Nobody has mentioned banning anything. Maybe Sizzy got "heated" with the "grow up" comment but she corrected herself.

At best there's been an appeal for people to maybe be more aware of getting hung up on a particular topic that seems to rear its ugly head at the slightest provocation, and leave it to relevant threads rather than let it permeate every tangentially related topic.

Why is this being characterized as anyone advocating banning speech? That feels like a fairly disingenuous attempt to make the conversation sound less reasonable than it has been.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Sizzy's a she fyi 😋

SiL

SiL

Corrected! Thank you.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

I might be extra crazy, but I love this community as well.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 21, 2021, 03:00:06 AM
Sizzy's a she fyi 😋

Yep! They be a couple!  ;D

Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 02:54:54 AM
Nobody has mentioned banning anything. Maybe Sizzy got "heated" with the "grow up" comment but she corrected herself.

At best there's been an appeal for people to maybe be more aware of getting hung up on a particular topic that seems to rear its ugly head at the slightest provocation, and leave it to relevant threads rather than let it permeate every tangentially related topic.

Why is this being characterized as anyone advocating banning speech? That feels like a fairly disingenuous attempt to make the conversation sound less reasonable than it has been.

Maybe I didn't convey it properly but it was not supposed to be taken literally. It's an overreaction to answer an overreaction if that makes any sense. It's a where do we go from here? The silliness of it all.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 21, 2021, 03:50:57 AM
I don't get the feeling this was supposed to be broadcast quite so loudly my dude, nor do I see how it's relevant here :-\

QuoteMaybe I didn't convey it properly but it was not supposed to be taken literally. It's an overreaction to answer an overreaction if that makes any sense. It's a where do we go from here? The silliness of it all.
You'll need to explain, I'm afraid. I don't think what RidgeTop said was an overreaction; he's not the first to mention feeling that this particular dead horse gets dragged out all too often, so clearly he's not alone. The solution was clearly stated -- think before one posts, and perhaps take it to a relevant thread if the unquenchable urge arises. These are pretty standard things to request, I'm not sure why they're being chategorized as unreasonable here :-\

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

We've driven away franchise creators from this forum before who were kind enough to engage with us because of how poorly we've gone about criticisms, and although StudioADI doesn't currently have a social media manager active here like they did before, that may not always be the case. Hell I regret how I went about things with NECA even though I thought I was being civil.

Sure, people should be civil about how they feel, but its also being aware that there will always be fans who are more uncivilized about these kind of things than others. That alone shouldn't never get them to run away due to the poor behavior of others. Its also not fair for the ones who are behaving as well, as now they are lumped into this negative group they never asked to be part of. Its something that big studios and creators should be aware of by now.

As SizzyBubbles mentioned, just gets tiring, there are threads to discuss it till heart's content. And like her, I also agree with some of the criticisms of ADI designs, as much as I overall love that studio. There's a distinct difference between constructive criticism in the appropriate places and endless trolling/bullying.

I mean....yes, but also I doubt that ADI actually looks here and cares about our thoughts on this. I don't know, they don't strike me as the kind of people that bend easily due to some trolling here and there (if there is any, as some light jokes aren't real toxic stuff.)

I mean, I guess I don't see how our talks about ADI's handling of Predator design be truly negative in the sense some make it out to be. Tiresome, maybe for me as I don't heavily frequent here. I say this with the experience of being a Predator Hunting Grounds fan and looking at the horrendous mess in the Illfonic Predator Hunting Grounds Community Forums, that right there is real trolling/bullying, by comparison, we are organized and civil with each other here with some slight heated ideas here and there. Its kind of like that theory of mine that Predators can live for tens of hundreds of years convo I had in one of the PHG threads, I try to convay my thoughts as heatless as possible and I never see anyone else there give me any kind of heat there, least that's how it was for me.

I just think the point is that in this fandom or any fandom, its just expected that passionate debates will happen and people must keep in mind that its just talk between fans that no one shouldn't get angry about ever. Especially for any big franchise creator out there, they too should keep this in mind so that it doesn't grind them either.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 04:00:19 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 21, 2021, 03:50:57 AM
I don't get the feeling this was supposed to be broadcast quite so loudly my dude, nor do I see how it's relevant here :-\

Geez SiL, leave it to you to twist such a nice joyous thing you knew nothing about (you didn't even know she's female) into something bad and then question it's relevance. If RT has a problem he will let me know.

I'm done taking your bait brother. Sheesh.

SiL

SiL

People in a relationship is nice and joyous.

Posting unsolicited personal information about forum members, not so much.

I'll leave you to work out which I have a problem with.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 04:15:38 AM
People in a relationship is nice and joyous.

Posting unsolicited personal information about forum members, not so much.

I'll leave you to work out which I have a problem with.

I wouldn't and didn't share someone's personal information nor share what's come up previously in forums, Twitter and I believe the podcast. We're not using real names. How do you take such a nice thing and turn it into something so awful?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

If it's any consolation it went totally over my head at first, I laid thinking for a whole solid minute, about how Sizzy the individual could be a couple I'm very tired.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed