Do Predators stink?

Started by overthere, Nov 06, 2021, 04:24:09 PM

Author
Do Predators stink? (Read 7,720 times)

overthere

overthere

I always thought in that scene where Dutch is hugging a tree and the Predator is right behind him that he should be able to smell him.
All that dripping and slime on them, mouth full of spit etc, that's bound to smell foul, right?
I bet Predators have a distinctive smell about them. Do the comics ever mention that?

Likewise, do Predators have a sense of smell? Jungle Hunter should have been able to smell Dutch. Days without a shower in the jungle? You don't need infrared to spot him.

SiL

SiL

I don't know if you've been in a jungle but there's a lot of ambient smell in there. Dutch would smell like mud, of which there is plenty, and the Predator probably isn't going to smell much worst than the composting organic matter around the place.

I do imagine Predators would not smell nice, though.

Master

Master

Why? Maybe they do use Old Painless Spice  ;) ;D

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: overthere on Nov 06, 2021, 04:24:09 PM
I always thought in that scene where Dutch is hugging a tree and the Predator is right behind him that he should be able to smell him.
All that dripping and slime on them, mouth full of spit etc, that's bound to smell foul, right?
I bet Predators have a distinctive smell about them. Do the comics ever mention that?

Likewise, do Predators have a sense of smell? Jungle Hunter should have been able to smell Dutch. Days without a shower in the jungle? You don't need infrared to spot him.

There is no overt mention of them smelling bad. So I would assume no, they don't. Perhaps that evolved an ability to mask their scent naturally, or maybe the body netting does it?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

They smell hot and musky probably 🥵

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 06, 2021, 09:49:20 PM
They smell hot and musky probably 🥵

:P ::)

I always figured a bit of a rotting meat smell, given their stated diet and the amount of skinning they do.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Perhaps we can do this for the Predator?

Huggs

Huggs

Like rotten/sweaty crotch leavin's, I imagine.

JH got a bath when he was chasing dutch though, so the general viscosity of his assness was somewhat reduced.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I would argue.., probably. Predator 2 kind of addresses this with how the OWLF tracked City Hunter.
And really they'd probably stink from collected skulls since we've seen them still bloody or meaty while on their person which can't smell good especially since they operate in hot environments generally. Just a mixture of dead bodies and the Predator's own body odor. McKenna in The Predator is also taken aback when he smells some of Fugitive's blood so there's also the possibility the blood might also smell.

I'd imagine they would have a sense of smell but given they'd be dealing with dead bodies all the time I doubt foul smells are a big deal. It's probably weirder for them to notice something smelling good. Man could you imagine how weirded out a Predator would be if it walked into a bakery?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Nov 07, 2021, 02:34:51 AM
I would argue.., probably. Predator 2 kind of addresses this with how the OWLF tracked City Hunter.
And really they'd probably stink from collected skulls since we've seen them still bloody or meaty while on their person which can't smell good especially since they operate in hot environments generally. Just a mixture of dead bodies and the Predator's own body odor. McKenna in The Predator is also taken aback when he smells some of Fugitive's blood so there's also the possibility the blood might also smell.

I'd imagine they would have a sense of smell but given they'd be dealing with dead bodies all the time I doubt foul smells are a big deal. It's probably weirder for them to notice something smelling good. Man could you imagine how weirded out a Predator would be if it walked into a bakery?

Given the lack of a nose, and the rarely-sighted snakelike tongue, I'd guess no sense of smell but a highly perceptive ability to taste the air.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 07, 2021, 03:35:23 AM
Given the lack of a nose, and the rarely-sighted snakelike tongue, I'd guess no sense of smell but a highly perceptive ability to taste the air.

I get what you're saying from a biological (and behavioural) point of view, but in practical terms that seems like splitting hairs to me. The ability to "taste" objects through the air amounts to a sense of "smell" in my books. The two aren't entirely divorced in humans anyway.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Fair point. I'm driving at a Jacobson's Organ or something like one, but it's not at all hard to argue that the end result is essentially the same thing regardless of the presence of nostrils.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

I guess the real elephant in the room is the fact that they tend (and try) to wear a mask at all times, meaning they aren't going to be relying on scent as a sensory tool under ideal circumstances. Our atmosphere might even have such a strong smell of its own (when compared to their native one) that they can't discern much through it anyway.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I just remembered the skill has a weird notch in it. I remember some debate about whether they had nostrils as a result of the skull. So maybe they have it but just not in a place you can immediately see? It's not present on the Super Predator skull however. Though given they are built different that might be a trait they lack if they did have nostrils.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Nov 07, 2021, 02:48:58 PM
https://www.sideshow.com/storage/product-images/400048/classic-predator-skull_predator_gallery_5ed037b3a18d9.jpg

I just remembered the skill has a weird notch in it. I remember some debate about whether they had nostrils as a result of the skull. So maybe they have it but just not in a place you can immediately see? It's not present on the Super Predator skull however. Though given they are built different that might be a trait they lack if they did have nostrils.

Could just as easily be a spot where soft tissue attaches to the bone. Certainly doesn't look any deeper than the notches for the quills.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed