Will Sigourney make it into the Blomkamp Alien film?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 19, 2015, 04:44:40 AM

Author
Will Sigourney make it into the Blomkamp Alien film? (Read 4,579 times)

Corporal Hicks

I think it was just the wording of that original article. According to Variety it takes place years after Prometheus 2. But to be fair...there's some years between Prometheus and when we finally ended Resurrection.

Xenomorphine

We already know the goal is to include Ripley, going by the art.

Keyes

Prometheus 2 was the last media reported film in development for the Alien franchise, so the Variety article stating that this new Neill Blomkamp film takes places years after is only a general way of explaining the chronology separation to the casual reader.

Besides, comingsoon.net already received confirmation from Fox of the intent....

UPDATE: 20th Century Fox has since confirmed the news, clarifying that this is, indeed, a sequel to the original Alien franchise and not the Prometheus sequel currently set for release March 4, 2016.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/411255-neill-blomkamp-is-officially-taking-on-an-alien-sequel#/slide/1

The Cruentus

So its going to be set after Resurrection? I would rather that film be retconned as it was too silly to fit in with the franchise but then Ripley woudn't be in it but that is not a bad thing, her story ended in Alien 3.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 19, 2015, 04:26:11 PMSo its going to be set after Resurrection? I would rather that film be retconned as it was too silly to fit in with the franchise but then Ripley woudn't be in it but that is not a bad thing, her story ended in Alien 3.
No, she can totally be in, since last time we saw her was on Aliens :D

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 06:05:55 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 06:02:55 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 05:58:07 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 05:55:08 AM
I think there's zero chance this would be a prequel. Fox initially announced Prometheus as a prequel, it turned out it wasn't, they can't come out now and say "hey, here's the true prequel!". People would be like T______T

Well, no matter what they say, Prometheus is a prequel. It's just a semantics game. It's set before Alien, and features Weyland, the apparent creators of the Alien.
Everything is "apparent" in this movie. Nothing truly connects to the facts of Alien.

Examples?
We didn't saw the Jockey from Aliens, the one who landed on LV-426. We didn't even saw the standard xenomorph.

We can assume something relatively similar to the post-credits scenes happened to the Jockey that appeared on Alien, but it's still not a true prequel as it doesn't connect with any of the events from the original Alien.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 19, 2015, 04:26:11 PM
So its going to be set after Resurrection? I would rather that film be retconned as it was too silly to fit in with the franchise but then Ripley woudn't be in it but that is not a bad thing, her story ended in Alien 3.

Technically Fox and even Sigourney even puts Resurrection as a canonical film within the franchise. So technically the franchise isn't over. Alien 3 marked Ripley's death but since Resurrection continued on from that story and brought Ripley back as a clone without a definitive end it has yet to be finished.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Chronicle on Feb 19, 2015, 05:40:19 PM

Technically Fox and even Sigourney even puts Resurrection as a canonical film within the franchise. So technically the franchise isn't over. Alien 3 marked Ripley's death but since Resurrection continued on from that story and brought Ripley back as a clone without a definitive end it has yet to be finished.

You seem to love Ripley Clone 8

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

To general audiences, an Alien film means Ripley. So yeah, I think they'll at least try and get her.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Chronicle on Feb 19, 2015, 05:40:19 PM

Oh I accept its canon, I just wish it wasn't  :laugh: Ripley 8 is not Ripley though, different character, different personality but sharing some memories, I just don't like her hybrid nature, if she didn't have super-powers, I would be fine with it and interested in seeing how things pan out but I just don't like borderline supernatural elements in a series that is supposed to be as realistic as possible for science-fiction. The first three films kept to it, Resurrection was a complete change in direction. I actually enjoyed the film for what it was, I just don't think it fits well with the previous films. Its like a parody  :laugh:

Magegg

I completely agree with The Cruentus.

Immortan Jonesy

Alien: R It was like Buffy the Vampire Slayer in space

Intrepid-Traveler

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 19, 2015, 08:04:12 AM
So it's going to be his next project but they won't start it until Prometheus 2 is done filming? That's like another 2-3 years man.

No they are wrongly referring to this quote: "the new "Alien" takes place years after the "Prometheus" sequel

Keyword here is "takes place" except the Fox people already said that its a separate entity than prometheus so I have no idea why people are making a big deal with there is 0 connection.

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 05:09:45 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 19, 2015, 04:26:11 PMSo its going to be set after Resurrection? I would rather that film be retconned as it was too silly to fit in with the franchise but then Ripley woudn't be in it but that is not a bad thing, her story ended in Alien 3.
No, she can totally be in, since last time we saw her was on Aliens :D

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 06:05:55 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 06:02:55 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 05:58:07 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 05:55:08 AM
I think there's zero chance this would be a prequel. Fox initially announced Prometheus as a prequel, it turned out it wasn't, they can't come out now and say "hey, here's the true prequel!". People would be like T______T

Well, no matter what they say, Prometheus is a prequel. It's just a semantics game. It's set before Alien, and features Weyland, the apparent creators of the Alien.
Everything is "apparent" in this movie. Nothing truly connects to the facts of Alien.

Examples?
We didn't saw the Jockey from Aliens, the one who landed on LV-426. We didn't even saw the standard xenomorph.

We can assume something relatively similar to the post-credits scenes happened to the Jockey that appeared on Alien, but it's still not a true prequel as it doesn't connect with any of the events from the original Alien.

Oh right, you want prequels that have little child Darth Vader building C3PO? That sort of shite?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed