AVP2010 was originally supposed to be an AVPR movie game

Started by predxeno, Nov 23, 2010, 02:33:33 PM

Author
AVP2010 was originally supposed to be an AVPR movie game (Read 11,014 times)

AvPYoDa

Quote from: RazorSlash on Nov 23, 2010, 09:14:54 PM
While I agree it would've sold worse, some aspects of AvP:R are still there.

The main Predator(Wolf in AvP:R, I believe it was named Dark in AvP2010) goes to -insert planet here- because of an Alien infestation

the main pred of the game is not wolf, wolf is only available in multiplayer. i think i know what you mean though, the opening pred cutscene is the same as the avpr movie.

The main Pred soon learns that one of his fallen comrades is infected with the chestburster, thus creating the PredAlien

not in the game, none of the preds in game have been infected by a chestburster.

The "big baddie" of, atleast the Pred campaign in the game, is the PredAlien

The PredAlien in the game is clearly heavily inspired by the Chet

this i totally agree with, i think they made the models with an idea but due to either being a friday or legal resons or bosses being changed they whacked a new story together. i reckon it was supposed to be an alternate avpr, as in the preds crash in another planet instead of earth.

I would say that Wolf is a boss and multiplayer skin aswell, but I don't think that counts. Thats more of a homage.

wolf isnt a boss, just a skin in multiplayer and fingers crossed now an available skin in undels/avpgalaxy's new skin pack :)
the boss of the game is dark, the guy you are when you play who becomes a lord after/during ruins

alanwu1233

If you had played AVP:R on PSP before
you will find that some of the moves, sound effects and map design were similiar to AVP2010

newbeing

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2010, 06:40:44 PM
I'm not saying that AVP2010 would be better as an AVPR movie game, I'm just saying that the idea is really awesome.

EDIT:
Quote from: newbeing on Nov 23, 2010, 05:17:09 PM
You're joking right?
AvP: R is a piece of garbage in my eyes and considering games that are based on movies usually turn out to be crap, a game based on a garbage movie would probably end up being a super piece of garbage crap.

The Terminator 3 Redemption game would disagree with you.

Metacritic score of 68 so maybe it would disagree with me, but the majority of people who played it probably wouldn't.

There are games based off of movies that are good Spider-man 2  and Chronicles of Riddick for example, but those were mainly good because they were capable of pulling off unique and fun gameplay mechanics using the materials provided by the franchises they were based off of. The problem with basing it off of AVP:R is that there is nothing unique to build off of and any unique gameplay elements they could add would probably be better suited in settings closer to the original Alien or Predator films.

Space_Dementia

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2010, 02:33:33 PM
http://www.ugo.com/games/the-most-recent-aliens-vs-predator-was-almost-a-movie-game

QuoteLike the movie, the game would take place in Gunnison, Colorado, and the team made some levels taking place within the surrounding forests. Again, per the movie, the game would have focused on human civilians instead of space marines

According to this article, AVP2010 was initially supposed to be a game based on AVPR (different from the PSP), but the license changed.  Personally, I thought it would have been awesome, probably cause I'm a big fan of AVPR. :D  This game probably could have salvaged something from the movie and, perhaps, made it suck a little less in the eyes of the AVP community.

Defintaly a interesting idea...for me anyway.
I'm happy with how the game turned out, ok it wasnt as good as the first two games for PC, but I enjoyed it, and it was heavly infuenced by the movies, so wouldnt suprised me if any of the above article was actually true.

Sharp Sticks

This may explain a lot.

AcidGlow

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2010, 09:14:38 PM
Still...I wouldn't mind a DLC or something that lets up play as characters from Gunnison.

I'd be Butch! ;D

Ghostface

AVP2010 was already too similar to the AVP movies IMO. I think this is why people complained that it lost the atmosphere from AVP1999 and AVP2. They were based off the old, classic movies and AVP2010 was inspired by the new movies. I think this was a move by fox to make it more like the movies. Im glad it wasn't an AVP:R licensed game. Theres no way Id use the humans because I would intentionally neck myself at the start of every level.

Badmothafcka312

Quote from: Ghostface on Nov 26, 2010, 07:43:19 AM
AVP2010 was already too similar to the AVP movies IMO.
This is true.

I think this was a move by fox to make it more like the movies.
F#cking Fox.... People hate AvP movies, so why do this?

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Badmothafcka312 on Nov 26, 2010, 02:07:08 PM
AVP2010 was already too similar to the AVP movies IMO.
This is true.

I think this was a move by fox to make it more like the movies.
F#cking Fox.... People hate AvP movies, so why do this?
Fox does this with every movie and game. Take the worst ideas, argue with the director, bully the game devs...

Brother

I wonder if Sega argued a wee bit.

Space_Dementia

Well im not too sure on how it all works, but Alien and Predator are both owned by 20th Centuary Fox, so Sega would obviously have to obey what they said stayed and went. The studio obviously wanted to try and stay true the recent AVP movies, while Sega just tried their hardest to make it as good as the previous games...maybe  :-\

Just really wished it was a longer game.

predxeno

Maybe this AVPR-ish idea made AVP2010 not match up to its predecessors. ???

Ghostface

I didn't mind them taking a few ideas, designs or sounds from the AVP movies, after all they weren't a complete write off, but these were the main source material and it retained very little of the atmosphere of the original films. This is where is failed. If your going to use dated gameplay, they needed to nail the atmosphere, which they didnt.

Brother

Quote from: Space_Dementia on Nov 28, 2010, 10:51:05 PM
so Sega would obviously have to obey what they said stayed and went.

Yeah but they coulda/shoulda argued a little bit, like "hey buddeh, we watched your avp movies and read the fan forums, they suxored!"

Quote from: Ghostface on Nov 28, 2010, 11:55:45 PM
I didn't mind them taking a few ideas, designs or sounds from the AVP movies, after all they weren't a complete write off, but these were the main source material and it retained very little of the atmosphere of the original films. This is where is failed. If your going to use dated gameplay, they needed to nail the atmosphere, which they didnt.

Reb said they want to keep as far away from the avp movies as possible, but probably it wasn't completely up to them. Agreed about the atmosphere om the game.

DragonBossk

Without playing AVPR for PSP, the only thing I saw them bringing from the film to the AVP2010 were the pred mines and the Wolf and AVPR alien skins. And the mines weren't even that good.

Even though I was disappointed with AVP2010, I'm still glad they tried to bring an original storyline to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed