Io9 Full Trailer Report

Started by ikarop, Mar 17, 2012, 09:39:11 PM

Author
Io9 Full Trailer Report (Read 19,822 times)

ikarop

ikarop

http://io9.com/5894182/weve-seen-the-first-full-trailer-for-ridley-scotts-prometheus

QuoteWe've seen the first full trailer for Ridley Scott's Prometheus!

The trailer for Prometheus, director Ridley Scott's epic return to science fiction and the Alien universe in particular, is set to debut later tonight. But we got an early sneak peek at WonderCon, and here's our spoiler-y report!

The trailer begins with a shot of waterfalls on an alien world, while Charlize Theron's corporate character Meredith Vickers observes in voiceover: "A king has his reign. And then he dies. It's inevitable." The starship Prometheus lands on the planet as its crew emerges from Alien-style cryogenic sleep. The crew includes archaeologists who are there to examine a number of ancient alien civilizations discovered throughout the planet.

Logan Marshall-Green's character Holloway notes that, though the civilizations are separated by centuries, they all feature the same exact pictogram. His colleague and love interest, Noomi Rapace's archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw thinks something on the planets wants the humans to come find it. They find a map in one of the caves, but Shaw says it isn't a map: it's actually an invitation But as another crewmember wonders, it's an invitation from who? As they examine the catacombs of one of the lost alien civilizations, Idris Elba's starship captain Janek says they have suddenly detected a lifeform.

And then, basically, all hell breaks loose. Elizabeth Shaw mournfully observes, "We were so, so wrong", and the trailer ends on a massive montage of chaos and carnage from forces still unknown. People are attacked, entire landmasses start pulling themselves apart, the starship tries to leave the planet but runs into resistance, there's a mishap in the cryo-chamber, and there are a couple brief shot of Noomi Rapace in underwear that is a clear visual shout-out to Sigourney Weaver at the end of Alien. I think there was also a very brief shot of one of the Space Jockeys.

All the while, Michael Fassbender's android character David is experimenting with a strange goo that is apparently the recovered lifeform from this planet. At the very end of the trailer, he looks upon a bit of goo on the end of his finger and coldly observes, "Big things have small beginnings." Altogether, the trailer looked epic, with tons of striking imagery, big questions, and huge action set-pieces. It'll be a tall order for Prometheus to live up to all the hype, but things are looking good so far.

The following panel featured director Ridley Scott, writer Damon Lindelof, and stars Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender. Scott and Lindelof started by tackling the big ongoing question about this movie - what exactly is its relationship to Alien? Scott said the common explanation that it features "the DNA of Alien" is a good description, but that as he and Lindelof worked on the story it evolved into a whole other universe. Scott said there may well be a sequel, and that this movie leaves you with some big open questions to ponder.

Some of the more concrete information came regarding Michael Fassbender's android David. Lindelof mentioned that David is a robot pretending to be human, though it wasn't made clear whether this referred to his human-like appearance or if the rest of the crew actually is meant to think he's human, much like Ian Holm's in Alien. See the "Birth of David" viral video at the left.

When asked what it was like to play a robot attempting to seem human, Fassbender explained that he wanted to see how the character's personality might evolve in response to interaction with humans, and how he might start to develop more of a unique personality. He also said that he based David's movement on, of all people, Olympic diver Greg Louganis. Fassbender said the way Louganis approached the end of the diving board showed an economy of movement, with not a single step or muscle wasted, and he wanted to give David that same type of motion.

The full Prometheus trailer should be online tonight. The movie is due to be released June 8

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Sounds great.  Really looking forward to what sounds like an epic trailer.  It looks like the report from so long ago about David lifting his finger and the "Big things have small beginnings" lines was absolutely spot on.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

I Can't wait any longer.

eyesofthedemon

eyesofthedemon

The Viral stuff is good but i need this trailer! :laugh:

aliens13

aliens13

I Can't wait!

Berserker Pred

Berserker Pred

Not long to go until we see this trailer!

bunnyavpg

bunnyavpg

I'll wait to see the trailer because it seems that report got a few things confused.

BUGZ

BUGZ

When do we get to see the trailer? UK time?

BRi ;D

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Looking through that, I'd say Prometheus may not just be the name of a ship after all. Not only does it appear we weren't meant to find the Gods, but the fact we did means there may also have been a traitor in their midsts. The REAL Prometheus perhaps, who we associated with Greek Mythology, who just may be the individual the head also belongs to...!!

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 17, 2012, 10:19:02 PM
Looking through that, I'd say Prometheus may not just be the name of a ship after all. Not only does it appear we weren't meant to find the Gods, but the fact we did means there may also have been a traitor in their midsts.  The REAL Prometheus perhaps, who we associated with Greek Mythology, but just may be the individual the head also belongs to...!!

It is what I've been hoping for.

Also, the eagle 'ripping at his belly' over and over could be taken in any number of ways.

deepelemblues

deepelemblues

So is that just a typo, or are there multiple (well, more than Space Jockeys and Engineers if the two actually are different) "ancient alien" civilizations discovered on the planet? Shit just gets more confusing the more is revealed.

Also, the slime sounds like the "DNA" of Alien thrown in. So the proto-xeno is possibly just goo. That maybe turns into the tiny worm and then the bigger worm. Well whatever, I'm not going to get myself down via speculation about what everything in the trailer is. I just want to see it naow naow naow!

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

You know what I'm going to do watching the Trailer ?
Spoiler
Smoke a massive joint of Weed.
[close]
:laugh:

zuzuki

zuzuki

I am a little confused. They found those civilisations on the alien planet and they all have the same pictogram? Or are they saying that our ancient earth civilisations have the same pictogram?

The same with the map: they find it on earth in a cave, or on the alien planet? Cause if they find on the alien planet and imediately after all hell breaks loose, i guess they don't have time to go and follow the map, unless they are already planning the sequel and have the story figured out wich i doubt.

So far i'm thinking that pictogram isn't a invitation but a warning, stay away from that place, and that is why Shaw is so sorry. It is also reminiscent of the alien signal in ALIEN, when they misinterpreted it

El Diablo

El Diablo

The ancient civilizations were found on earth, the same pictograph I believe is meant to imply they had a similar "creator."

Also, there's a quick shot in the trailer of a crew member shining a flashlight across a sculpted wall inside the Ampule room that appears to show a stylized carving of a Xeno. I looked out for this when they played it again and my friend and I both swear that's what it  was.

bunnyavpg

bunnyavpg

It was pretty obvious that the ancient civilisations were on Earth, I knew they were confused.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed