Best viewing order for first time watching?

Started by Obama, Jun 07, 2021, 03:53:12 PM

Author
Best viewing order for first time watching? (Read 13,455 times)

Obama

What does everyone think is the best viewing order for a first time viewer? Currently I think it should be:

Predator
Predator 2
Avp
Avp Requiem
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
The Predator
Predators
Alien Resurrection

But I am a interested in knowing what other fans think is the best order.

SiL

Why break up the Alien franchise with Predator movies?

Personally I'd go more along the lines of

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Resurrection
Prometheus
Covenant

Predator
Predator 2
AvP
AvPR
Predators
The Predator

As the AvP films fit better into Predator's timeline. Or just go through the individual franchises in release order, then the AvPs.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Obama on Jun 07, 2021, 03:53:12 PM
What does everyone think is the best viewing order for a first time viewer? Currently I think it should be:

Predator
Predator 2
Avp
Avp Requiem
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
The Predator
Predators
Alien Resurrection

But I am a interested in knowing what other fans think is the best order.

I can dig it! 👍

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

A number of ways exist in terms of viewing the films in an order, but if someone's completely unfamiliar I do not know if a strict timeline's best being that for AVP to work, they ought to know the original entries first:

Alien Theatrical Edition 4K Blu-ray
Predator 4K Blu-ray
Aliens Special Edition Blu-ray
Predator 2 4K Blu-ray
Alien³ Special Edition Blu-ray
Alien Vs Predator Unrated Blu-ray
AVP Requiem Unrated Blu-ray
The Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predators 4K Blu-ray
Alien Resurrection Blu-ray
Prometheus 4K Blu-ray
Alien Covenant 4K Blu-ray

Stitch

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 07, 2021, 11:56:35 PM
A number of ways exist in terms of viewing the films in an order, but if someone's completely unfamiliar I do not know if a strict timeline's best being that for AVP to work, they ought to know the original entries first:

Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predator 2 4K Blu-ray
The Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predators 4K Blu-ray
Prometheus 4K Blu-ray
I disagree on your medium for Prometheus. That film should always be viewed in 3D. It's shot fantastically.

BlueMarsalis79

3D's a complete waste of time and money.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 08, 2021, 01:49:22 PM
3D's a complete waste of time and money.

100% disagree dependant on the disc.

BlueMarsalis79

Even on the very best ones like Avatar, Prometheus and Dredd it is still, a complete joke to me honestly.

Stitch

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 08, 2021, 02:36:42 PM
Even on the very best ones like Avatar, Prometheus and Dredd it is still, a complete joke to me honestly.
A good disc, and a good screen can transform a bad 3D viewing into something amazing. I do agree, though, that bad 3D films and a bad environment and/or viewing equipment can ruin your perception, and possibly taint your opinion on the medium as a whole.
It's clearly on the way out, though, unfortunately. New WB blu rays aren't being released in the UK in 3D, and films which were originally going to be in 3D have been dropped. Still, I'm looking forward to importing Godzilla vs Kong and watching it in 3D, and I enjoy watching Prometheus in 3D, because it looks fantastic.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I am fairly sure I have witnessed the best the medium's got to offer, and that it is in my view ultimately not worth the price of the whole setup, like HFR I hope 3D never returns although it will probably with prices raised higher once again but hopefully not in such a massive way as it did in the early 2010s. I will take a higher quality picture presentation every time.

Voodoo Magic

To each her own, but nothing has surpassed a the viewing options of both Predator and Guardians of the Galaxy than their 3D presentations on my high res 3D television. Theater 3D presentations, no thanks, but at home, these two discs, especially Guardians? It's the film on a whole 'nother level I can't even begin to describe.

Obama

Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predator 2 4K Blu-ray
The Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predators 4K Blu-ray
Prometheus 4K Blu-ray

I think Prometheus a Covenant where meant to be watched before Alien, not sure if Ridley Scott said it explicitly, but it seems to be what he was going for. I think its possible go as far as to watch Prometheus before Predator, not sure if its a good viewing experience, though.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah but if someone's watching the entire franchise for their first time, the Prequels remain incomplete, and you want the first time seeing the creatures come to life on-screen to be their true first (and best) times on-screen.

I also arranged it so they dip in the middle in quality instead of leaving it on a sour note hence suburbia being back to back.

And with the Prequels being incomplete I elected to go with the thematic collective tissue between the last three listed.

Given a real conclusion and Skulls it might look different...

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Obama on Jun 08, 2021, 07:09:43 PM

Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predator 2 4K Blu-ray
The Predator 4K Blu-ray
Predators 4K Blu-ray
Prometheus 4K Blu-ray

I think Prometheus a Covenant where meant to be watched before Alien, not sure if Ridley Scott said it explicitly, but it seems to be what he was going for. I think its possible go as far as to watch Prometheus before Predator, not sure if its a good viewing experience, though.

TQ has detailed some of the why, but in general the franchise is messy, unplanned and the prequels aren't finished (and may never be).

You should watch them in the order they were released, not the order of what year they are set in.

BlueMarsalis79

Pretty much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed