Just re-watched AvP 2004.....

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 29, 2018, 05:01:22 PM

Author
Just re-watched AvP 2004..... (Read 32,777 times)

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 01, 2018, 03:08:54 AM
In appearance, Wolf is a spectacular action-figure.

But little else.

True. But AVP didn't even get the appearance right.

The Old One

The Old One

ADI never have, and I loved their work on Aliens and A3.

SiL

SiL

ADI didn't work on Aliens, though. Gillis and Woodruff and some of the guys did, but it was through Stan Winston's studio, and Stan was running the show. Huge difference.

The Old One

The Old One

Indispensable distinction. Apologies.

Corporal Hicks

There are some moments when it's just Ian Whyte and the suits don't look soooo bulky. But yeah, it's not a terrible film but it's not the AvP I wanted. I still like the shifting pyramid/maze angle and I think that's pretty interesting.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 01, 2018, 08:13:34 AM
There are some moments when it's just Ian Whyte and the suits don't look soooo bulky. But yeah, it's not a terrible film but it's not the AvP I wanted. I still like the shifting pyramid/maze angle and I think that's pretty interesting.
Awesome location for a film. Dark, dingy and intricate. Much better than some generic suburb.

Samhain13

Samhain13

There are some moments when it's just Ian Whyte and the suits don't look soooo bulky.

In some parts Celtic actually looks pretty good, after he removed part of his armor he didn't bother me. But Scar, now that was a failure, his armor looked even bulkier than the other 2 for some reason, those fat dreads together with the big backpack, he looked like a stocky robot.

I still like the shifting pyramid/maze angle and I think that's pretty interesting.

It was way underused after the alien vs predator conflict started, I suppose the lack of more fights is to blame, just another idea that wasn't brought to its full potential. Despite not liking them bringing the pyramid stuff to AVP2010, the shifting pyramid multiplayer map was fun.

Naginata

Naginata

I'll say this for AVP: They tried. They knew it wasn't Shakespeare, they didn't have pretensions of being anything other than a fun video game romp, and they tried to make it as good as they could under those circumstances... That's the difference between AVP and AVPR; AVP was a failure, yes, but at least it had ideas. Reqium was just... "duh, what if the predalen barfs babys into the ladys tummy and dey eat the other babys huh duh."

SM

SM

Seems little contradictory.  How is egg-barfing not 'ideas'?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

It is more like AVP had good or at least well intentioned ideas while Requiem had terrible ideas.

Russ

Russ

AVP:R was in poor taste. I get that they wanted to react to the horrorless AvP but I though that their ideas were juvenile. Like kids thinking up the "sickest shit" they could.

I watched Alien for the first time with my daughter last night. It's amazing how much you DON'T see. Yet, she was on the edge of her seat, getting the nark with Ripley every time she didn't pick up her flame unit. I wish I hadn't shown her Aliens first a while back to be honest.

SM

SM

Juvenile is the most apt description of AvP:R.

Naginata

Naginata

Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2018, 12:41:40 AM
Seems little contradictory.  How is egg-barfing not 'ideas'?

Because it's stupid. I guess I should have specified "good ideas" (shape shifting pyramid, 'Grid' alien, Predator choke wire, etc.) Setting it in Antarctica, for example - Setting it in the present day is still stupid, but by going for the Lovecraft homage, they at least gestured towards Alien's pop culture lineage. The egg-barfing is just 'dude, what if the Predalien's face was the facehugger...?'

SM

SM

An idea is an idea.

426Buddy

426Buddy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed