The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 20, 2018, 08:14:45 PM

Do you think they should make another AVP film?

Yes, continuing from the previous films.
Yes, but disregarding the previous AVP films (New continuity)
No, they should be kept seperate.
No, the  AVP movies messed up the franchise.
Not sure/maybe.
Author
The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise (Read 23,181 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 25, 2018, 09:23:06 PM

An AVP continuity which counts only the first two Predator films, and leads into the Alien films but not the prequels.

May I ask why?

Even if you like the atrocious AVP films, which discount the inclusion of all lore established since Prometheus-
What's the rationale behind not including "Predators" then?

genocyber

It's easy to pick up off after AVPR. All evidence of the xenomorphs is erased so they are still a mystery, but more can be explored with the government trying to learn more about the Predator races.

SM

QuoteSo it's definitive then... There's two timelines/universes then... Always nice to hear from someone enlightened. I sincerely mean that. Thanks SM.

No worries.

The Old One

The Old One

If it was easy to pick off after AVPR they would have done, it was easier to do a quasi reboot of each franchise due to AVP/R's poor quality.

Huggs

Since it's likely that avp could be referenced even in a minute way in The Predator, does anyone care to take bets on whether or not an xeno easter egg might make it into the film? I'm not talking p2 sized stuff like a skull, but maybe something small. Maybe "raptus" displayed on a computer in the background somewhere.

Surely they wouldn't pull a "fallen kingdom" with the sunken queen from avp? Nah, too big. But that I'd like to see. Maybe just a frozen claw or something behind glass. Odds are against any reference though.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 25, 2018, 09:52:05 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 25, 2018, 09:23:06 PM

An AVP continuity which counts only the first two Predator films, and leads into the Alien films but not the prequels.

May I ask why?

Even if you like the atrocious AVP films, which discount the inclusion of all lore established since Prometheus-

Reply #36 at the end of the first paragraph. I guess he just doesn't like Super Predators.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

May I ask why?

You may.

Probably the same reason why the other side of the spectrum doesn't want the AVP films lumped with either Alien and Predator.. They didn't like them. It's the inverse here.

I mean... come on... Why lie about it?

Anyway, I've said my peace here on this thread and that's all I have to say about it.

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 25, 2018, 10:11:14 PM
Since it's likely that avp could be referenced even in a minute way in The Predator, does anyone care to take bets on whether or not an xeno easter egg might make it into the film? I'm not talking p2 sized stuff like a skull, but maybe something small. Maybe "raptus" displayed on a computer in the background somewhere.

Surely they wouldn't pull a "fallen kingdom" with the sunken queen from avp? Nah, too big. But that I'd like to see. Maybe just a frozen claw or something behind glass. Odds are against any reference though.
Someone said something about Lex's spear in a preview screening, but there wasn't any confirmation.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 25, 2018, 10:11:14 PM

How about an ancient artifact

On the other hand, I would love to see a Deacon's skull in 'The Predator'. You know, for the lulz.

The Old One

The Old One

A Neomorph skull could at least exist at the time, so far as we know.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Also, it is the only way (or one of the few for now) to establish a solid link with the Alien timeline. Although it's not like they are having that particular plan right now :P but instead with the AVP concept. But honestly if I were them, I would go for the AVP reboot from the scratch, because:

1. One AVP film is mediocre and the other just horribly bad.

2. The Alien prequels are there, and such movies are canon no matter what.

The Cruentus

Quote from: genocyber on Aug 25, 2018, 10:00:56 PM
It's easy to pick up off after AVPR. All evidence of the xenomorphs is erased so they are still a mystery, but more can be explored with the government trying to learn more about the Predator races.

But that means allowing the egg barfing life-cycle to remain.  :P

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Aug 25, 2018, 10:43:05 PM
Also, it is the only way (or one of the few for now) to establish a solid link with the Alien timeline. Although it's not like they have that particular plan anyway  :P but instead with the AVP concept. But honestly if I were them, I would go for the AVP reboot from the scratch, because:

1. One AVP film is mediocre and the other just horribly bad.

2. The Alien prequels are there, and such movies are canon no matter what.

Indeed, but if it was up to me, I would have the new AVP continuity ignore the Alien prequels as well, because David creating the Xenos, as well as other issues I personally think the Prequels brought, affects the tone and mythology of the Alien too much to keep it in.
Have AVP with its own continuity and its own lore for the Xenomorphs, the best part about it is that each continuity would be unique in its setting and lore rather than just a crossover.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 25, 2018, 11:11:04 PM
Indeed, but if it was up to me, I would have the new AVP continuity ignore the Alien prequels as well, because David creating the Xenos, as well as other issues I personally think the Prequels brought, affects the tone and mythology of the Alien too much to keep it in.
Have AVP with its own continuity and its own lore for the Xenomorphs, the best part about it is that each continuity would be unique in its setting and lore rather than just a crossover.

One of the coolest things in that alternate timeline is the return of such cosmic horror of the unknown. The Alien as a primordial horror again and the Space Jockey as a cryptic and kinda surreal living artifact. Having said that, I'd love to see Predators hunting in a Scorn style planet  :)

Btw, I'm aware that the future of our beloved franchises is ambiguous due to the Disney thing. But at the same time, I can't help dreaming in the wildest way. Sorry but just, I can't  :'(

The Old One

The Old One

I believe separating them in that manner is ultimately unnecessary.
There's nothing in the Alien prequels that couldn't simply be recontextualised in further entries.

Wysps

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 25, 2018, 10:12:12 PMProbably the same reason why the other side of the spectrum doesn't want the AVP films lumped with either Alien and Predator.. They didn't like them. It's the inverse here.

I mean... come on... Why lie about it?

Anyway, I've said my peace here on this thread and that's all I have to say about it.

Spoiler
No don't go! But I hear you, in the end it will be people's own opinions on the individual movies that will guide them on what they believe should or shouldn't be included in the franchises. Topics like these can sometimes bring out the most blatant of clinical narcissism on the internet :laugh:
[close]

I wouldn't mind seeing AvP as a distinct entity from Alien and Predator, no true need to have them all live in the same universe, especially with the direction that the two latest Alien prequels took us. Continuity would be nice, but I sort of always approached AvP as its own "thing" anyway. Especially with the lore that was introduced in the first AvP movie...most definitely doesn't match up with what was introduced in the comics way back when.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed