What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 586,071 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Around here, "Wolf Spiders" is somewhat of a general term for all the "big spiders" that show up in the fall. For the most part, they're basically the fat bodied ones that make their webs near gutters, corners and overhangs, so you have to be careful when you go outside or open a window at night. The rest are the spindly legged orange ones that crawl onto the cold surfaces like concrete and die during the night. It's not unusual to find 3 or 4 of them dead every morning in the later months.

We also have "writing spiders" the size of my hand, but they hide in the bushes and tend to be less present in the fall. We've got lots of the ones in that picture, especially with all the fields around here, though the ones here are about 30% bigger. They love to hang out on door frames, so you have to watch out when you open the door to go outside. The worst part is that we've got tons of "fiddle backs" and the occasional black widow.

The humidity has everything down here growing like a jungle so we've got every kind known to man. In the fall, that problem just gets bigger. But, it's nothing a can of raid can't handle. And now that I've thought about this, I won't be able to sleep for 2 or 3 days.

TheSailingRabbit

That's a lot of N O P E.

You need Drake and his smartgun to take care of all that.

I'd be whacking everything with a frying pan.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I've always known wolf spiders to be the big fast f**kers that run around all over the place.

I think other english speaking countries call them Huntsmen spiders. 

Nothing like almost falling asleep in the field under the stars, slowly nodding off to sleep and then feeling one of the f**kers run across your face instantly waking you back up. 

Different terms for different areas in the States.

It's like the Coke, Soda, Pop thing. 

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 14, 2019, 03:55:48 PM
Nothing like almost falling asleep in the field under the stars, slowly nodding off to sleep and then feeling one of the f**kers run across your face instantly waking you back up. 

SM

SM

I've always known wolf spiders to be the big fast f**kers that run around all over the place.

Huntsman are different to wolf spiders.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Have you ever rubbed up against a Gympie Gympie?

SM

SM

Fraid not.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Sep 14, 2019, 09:43:44 PM

I knew that at one time when I was a kid.  Over the years a huntsmen (called a wood spider here) and a wolf spider combined into one thing due to their similar size and appearance. 

TheSailingRabbit

There was a little spider on my desk.

I smushed it.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Sep 15, 2019, 04:27:35 PM

I smushed it.

You go girl.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 15, 2019, 05:19:57 PM

I smushed it.

You go girl.

Thanks.

SM

SM

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 15, 2019, 04:43:34 AM

I knew that at one time when I was a kid.  Over the years a huntsmen (called a wood spider here) and a wolf spider combined into one thing due to their similar size and appearance.

They're all ugly bastards.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Sep 15, 2019, 10:12:59 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 15, 2019, 04:43:34 AM

They're all ugly bastards.

Nah, they are pretty compared to other arachnids  :P

Opiliones

Amblypygi

Solifugae

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 15, 2019, 10:32:07 PM

Nah, they are pretty compared to other arachnids  :P

Opiliones

Amblypygi

Solifugae

Spoiler

[close]

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I smushed it.

Enjoy suffering through all the mites and flies it won't kill now.

You heartless monster.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed