Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 115,817 times)

Original Predator

"an original science fiction epic"

Game, set, match.

No Alien.

Good call Ridley.

Let FOX get some crappy/slappy D-list fanboys to direct the AVP's and any other future Predators or Aliens pieces of crap.

Long live your legacy to the Alien franchise.

Thank you.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 25, 2011, 06:39:04 PM
"an original science fiction epic"

Game, set, match.

No Alien.

Good call Ridley.

Let FOX get some crappy/slappy D-list fanboys to direct the AVP's and any other future Predators or Aliens pieces of crap.

Long live your legacy to the Alien franchise.

Thank you.

So you don't want any future AVP/Aliens/Predators films to be directed by A or B-List directors who actually make the film good?

This fanbase is really leaving me quite confused.  ;)

Ghostface

As much as I hate to admit it, I'd say this is probably a good move for Ridley. I honestly doubt he could match Alien, and would be slammed for not matching previous efforts. By keeping this in the same universe, he still keeps the Alien fanbase while moving away from the not-as-good-as-Alien criticism he would have inevitably received.

locusta

Guys, look here http://www.alienprequelnews.com/ and stop to much worring about loose rumors!

Valaquen

Weird. Hope it's true. Ridley said years back that he wished he could use real-life locations for an alien world:

'Studio landscape is bloody difficult. You're constantly staring at plaster rocks and saying, "Christ, this doesn't look right." I would have preferred to do some of it on location and then do a studio link. In fact, I 'd been looking at some spots for another picture that would have been beautiful for Alien, particularly in Turkey where there are these pyramid-like dwellings – huge mountainous structures which cover hundreds of square miles. Absolutely extraordinary. But it was a practical budget decision not to go away on location, and so we just did what we could in the studio.'
Ridley Scott, Cinefex, 1979.

redalert51

Get smeone else to direct it , Alien was 1979, most of what
Now it is 2011 . Alien 79 was a happy accident and Ridley
Scott became the new kid on the block,but a lot has change
I just hope Fox find some else and since the passing of
Dan O' Bannon who was Alien ............

Vulhala

Happy accident?

Mr. Clemens

Somebody hasn't seen The Duellists.

Kimarhi

Quote from: redalert51 on Jan 27, 2011, 10:10:36 PM
Dan O' Bannon who was Alien ............

Dan O'Bannon wrote a cheesefest with one good idea.

His own concept of the creature didn't even make it into the film.  Scott's influence can be felt through the rest of the series.

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 28, 2011, 05:12:33 AM
Dan O'Bannon wrote a cheesefest with one good idea.

Blasphemy. f**king blasphemy.

Kimarhi

Have you even read Starbeast?  Shit was ridiculous.

Only good scene,  the ONLY good scene was the chest bursting scene because it was new, and it also didn't involve some incredibly lame idea like a crewman transforming into a monster or a monster simply sneaking aboard the spacecraft.  The rest was the same shit you'd seen in a hundred films before with even more cheeze.

It's terrible.  O'Bannon definately deserves credit, because to put it simply, the chest bursting idea is one of two things that define the Alien (the other being Giger's design), but his story was god awful. 

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Someday doesn't have much appreciation for Metal Hurlant.

Starbeast rules. Sure, it was hella cheesy (not a bad thing in 70's sci-fi) but the core of Alien was always there. It got refined, the way all good screenplays do. The result was Alien. Yay.

Kimarhi

I take the somewhat unpopular opinion that Hill and Giler, douche's that they are, deserve far more of the credit for the finished product than O'bannon does.  O'bannon was a guy you wanted to root for, because he WAS wronged (with giler and hill trying to take credit for his ideas), but to put it bluntly his story wasn't that good.

You put that shit out and nobody but saturday evening horror aficionado's know what it is.  It'd be the Leviathan of the seventies.

Don't get me wrong.  I like cheese ranging from the aforementioned leviathan to JCarpenter classic cheese like Ghost of Mars.

But I can also recognize that on every level Alien trounces those movies.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 28, 2011, 05:57:49 AM
but to put it bluntly his story wasn't that good.
Yet we wound up with fundamentally the same story.

Hill and Giler cleaned O'Bannon's execution up, yes, but from a plot level their only major contribution was Ash and the Company. All of Alien's memorable sequences are right there in Star Beat, just cheesier.

Sharp Sticks

The story barely changed, in its essence and themes. Giler and Hill just made Roby a babe, changed all the names, played up the corporate aspect and added a Soviet spy twist called Ash. Good screenplays don't leap out fully formed, they require revision and different perspectives. Ultimately it's thanks to the unforgettable texturing that the filmmakers provided that Alien isn't remembered as a Roger Corman debacle, but the foundation is the story, and the story is O'Bannon's.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed