Script in the works for PROM Seq

Started by draken161, Feb 27, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Author
Script in the works for PROM Seq (Read 64,424 times)

StrangeShape

Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 06, 2013, 07:19:27 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 05, 2013, 05:17:16 PM
Yes, as most of us keep repeating, we accept that its different. We accept that it being different makes sense and have reasons. But what we're saying is that the new design is crap. Sorry to say that, but like someone else said, it looks like a 2 year old design
Really? I'm sure there are plenty of two year olds who could have matched the quality of design on Prometheus...  ::)
There is nothing wrong with the design on Prometheus other than it's not Alien...

For the tenth time, I dont mind its not ALien, I dont mind making it different. What I keep saying is that if they wanted to make it different, why didnt they come up with creative and competetive design to what Giger had done? He created an interesting and intricate bony ribbed pattern with details. I dont thing a zig zag lines and square blocks are as good of a design or a good design at all

Im not saying 2 year old can design Prometheus, its a well designed movie with great sets, Im saying a two year could surely come up with that pattern above for Juggernauts interior

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2013, 01:52:42 PM
No. The juggernaut simply doesn't look the same on the inside at all. Beyond repeating patterns, the patterns and the texture are very different. It has nothing to do with decay. It has to do with different design philosophies. The biomechanoid nature of the original craft was evident and apparent. It isn't in the Juggernaut, beyond the base idea that the Engineer interfaces with the craft.

This.

I think what we are all trying to say again and again is that Biomechanical Giger design is far far more interesting and creatively forward thinking than the generic blocks and zig zags that the current design team used.

As the above poster said, it's nothing to do with decay it's about design philosophies and I'm with H.R Giger on this one. The guy had to smoke opium for gods sake to keep that shit out of his head. It's better for that reason alone.

Alien³

Alien³

I saw more respect to Giger's previous work in Prometheus, than any other Alien movie since Aliens. It felt very Gigeresque, but I guess the 'esque' part plays a big part for most people.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I'll admit that the Prometheus interior was VERY well done and a great homage to Ron Cobb's style.

Giger, though? Cardboard whatever walls? Bizarre creature thing turned into a tapir suit? Nnnnnewp.

...But the Engineers are straight out of a Giger painting [sort of]! So was the viper pit in Resurrection -- and the detailing on the Dog Alien.

Darth Vile

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 06, 2013, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 06, 2013, 07:19:27 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 05, 2013, 05:17:16 PM
Yes, as most of us keep repeating, we accept that its different. We accept that it being different makes sense and have reasons. But what we're saying is that the new design is crap. Sorry to say that, but like someone else said, it looks like a 2 year old design
Really? I'm sure there are plenty of two year olds who could have matched the quality of design on Prometheus...  ::)
There is nothing wrong with the design on Prometheus other than it's not Alien...

For the tenth time, I dont mind its not ALien, I dont mind making it different. What I keep saying is that if they wanted to make it different, why didnt they come up with creative and competetive design to what Giger had done? He created an interesting and intricate bony ribbed pattern with details. I dont thing a zig zag lines and square blocks are as good of a design or a good design at all

Im not saying 2 year old can design Prometheus, its a well designed movie with great sets, Im saying a two year could surely come up with that pattern above for Juggernauts interior
I'm not even sure what's been argued now... I don't think anyone is claiming that Prometheus improved upon the designs of HR Giger. I don't think anyone is stating that the design in Prometheus is as ground breaking or will be as influential as Alien... Of course it won't. What I'm saying is that Scott purposely attempted to move away from the aesthetic in his original film. Retro fitting or not - his logic is sound as he wanted to move away from the look of Giger's xeno, which was so obviously related to the Space Jockey and the Derelict, to a more industrial and less esoteric aesthetic. I don't prefer the less bio-mech look, but I understand the choice that the filmmaker made and I appreciate the move away from a design in order to be its own thing (I don't just want a carbon copy design of everything in the previous film). From an aesthetic POV I can see the juggernaut and derelict and say "aha - before and after the influence of the slime dribbling xeno". 

Gazz

Gazz

I don't think there's anything I would describe as being cardboard looking as seen in the film. Probably a little bland when under a microscope and isolated to a small panel but I thought the production design worked wonders for the film. Ridley still has a great eye, just not for the same material he used to be into. It wasn't all Giger and that was certainly clear but there were definitely inspirations throughout.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Gazz on Mar 06, 2013, 08:11:37 PM
I don't think there's anything I would describe as being cardboard looking as seen in the film. Probably a little bland when under a microscope and isolated to a small panel but I thought the production design worked wonders for the film. Ridley still has a great eye, just not for the same material he used to be into. It wasn't all Giger and that was certainly clear but there were definitely inspirations throughout.
Completely agree.

Alien³

Alien³

Amen.

What were people's thoughts on the Juggernaut exterior?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I have no complaints with it. I think it was haunting and cool to see it again.

The only thing I hated were the engine bursts they gave it. That ship did not need 'visible' engines.

Darth Vile

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2013, 09:53:33 PM
I have no complaints with it. I think it was haunting and cool to see it again.

The only thing I hated were the engine bursts they gave it. That ship did not need 'visible' engines.
Yep - I'd agree with that one... Seemed a bit obvious given the uniqueness of the design.

Deuterium

Deuterium

I think they should get a bonafide sci-fi author to pen the script.  I would like to see Greg Bear take a shot at it.  Or, perhaps Peter Watts.

Another potential candidate would be Neal Asher...and he already incorporates a lot of horror into his novels.

Also, Ian Banks or Alistair Reynolds.

Gash

Gash

Given that the ship looks itself like a mechanism, or a biomechanism, the visible engine flare was disappointing. The whole ship could have twisted and morphed (horrible word - sounds like cheap CGI - but you get my drift) into something equally weird and spiraled into space. The juggernaut/derelict is unique and needs to be more interesting in movement than the Millennium Falcon.

Design-wise though it is great and the portals distinguish it again from being the same as the derelict.

Previously though I always thought of the derelict as being a one off, and that other craft would be different but with similar exterior detailing.

Alien³

Alien³

I love their similar designs, and I agree the thrusters are annoying. I thought it'd be haunting if it shot off the way it did, but silently and with no other signs of activity.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Something more akin to this visual and audio combo would have been great, imho.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10954836/DerelictRising.wav

Alien³

Alien³

Hope on the horizon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed