Titan To Republish Original Aliens Bantam Novels

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 16, 2015, 08:11:11 AM

Author
Titan To Republish Original Aliens Bantam Novels (Read 73,513 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Corporal Hicks

Whiskeybrewer

Its working now. Thanks Hicks

Darkness

Are these novels all part of the same story and continuity?

Perfect-Organism

These novels are indeed part of one continuity.  They are adaptations of graphic novels of the same name.  Now keep in mind that the graphic novels are derived from an earlier graphic novel version of the trilogy.  The key difference between the graphic novels, was that the original version was intended to be a continuation of the story of Hicks and Newt after the Aliens film.  When Alien 3 came out, effectively negating the existence of Hicks and Newt post-Aliens, the names of these characters were changed to Wilks and Billie.

Randomizer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 07, 2016, 10:26:00 AM
Quote from: Randomizer on Jan 19, 2016, 07:33:30 PM
Does anyone know if these are available as eBooks, or were made for the sole purpose of being back in stores?

There does appear to be Kindle versions of these now.  :)

I know, already picked one. I think they've been available since the 12th of March.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I've avoided Female War for like 20 years or more lol. but I finally caved and ordered the comic version, because I have all the other "Library Edition" Graphic novels. Even as a kid when I was lucky enough to be in a comic book store down state, I would be trying to decide on an aliens graphic novel and I would always put Female war back on the shelf. The art is just so terrible I didn't want it even though I needed it to complete my set. Oh well its on the way now, soon i'll have to decide whether or not to read the novels.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 07, 2016, 05:03:50 PM
They are adaptations of graphic novels of the same name.  Now keep in mind that the graphic novels are derived from an earlier graphic novel version of the trilogy.

Wrong way around. The novelizations are based on the original versions with Hicks and Newt. The Perrys did the retcons first. Then the newer versions of the graphic novels came out and used the novelization names.

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 07, 2016, 04:28:50 PM
Are these novels all part of the same story and continuity?

Yeah they were based on the very first Hicks and Newt comics. To be fair, all the older Bantam novels and Dark Horse graphic novels were in the same continuity, there were just some contradictions and Resurrection wiping them all out.

Quote from: Randomizer on Apr 07, 2016, 05:32:37 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 07, 2016, 10:26:00 AM
Quote from: Randomizer on Jan 19, 2016, 07:33:30 PM
Does anyone know if these are available as eBooks, or were made for the sole purpose of being back in stores?

There does appear to be Kindle versions of these now.  :)

I know, already picked one. I think they've been available since the 12th of March.

Ah, fantastic!

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 07, 2016, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 07, 2016, 05:03:50 PM
They are adaptations of graphic novels of the same name.  Now keep in mind that the graphic novels are derived from an earlier graphic novel version of the trilogy.

Wrong way around. The novelizations are based on the original versions with Hicks and Newt. The Perrys did the retcons first. Then the newer versions of the graphic novels came out and used the novelization names.

Is that right?  It's so long ago, I don't remember which came first at this point.

Just fixed the quotes. Cpl Hicks.

LordCassusSnow

Funny, i'm sure Alien 3 wiped all that out. Not Resurrection as it came after  ::)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Alien 3 only wiped the idea of newt and hicks in the EU, which is why it was retconned. The rest of the EU could get along with Alien3 until Alien Res came along and said there hadn't been any aliens found in 200 years since alien3.

I wish darkhorse hadn't been so keen on keeping the EU inline with the films. You would think after Alien3 came out that they would have realized that Fox had no interest in maintaining a canon EU with the franchise.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Apr 07, 2016, 08:42:14 PM
Funny, i'm sure Alien 3 wiped all that out. Not Resurrection as it came after  ::)

Thanks, Mr Helpful. :laugh: I'm not referring to the death of Hicks and Newt, I'm talking about the whole existence of any story taking place between Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.  ::)

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 07, 2016, 06:32:12 PM
Is that right?  It's so long ago, I don't remember which came first at this point.

Yeah, that's right. I wondered about the correct order of events a few years back and looked into it. I also looked it up again recently when I made the comments in my reviews. Original comics with Hicks and Newt > novelizations with Wilks and Billie > reprinted graphic novels with new titles and new character names.

LordCassusSnow

LordCassusSnow

Lol sorry hicks, couldn't resist  ;D But i think i know where your coming from since if the events in the Aliens comics would have passed the alternate events in Alien 3, thus putting female war and so on smack dab in the middle of those two movies(3 and Resurrection. So my bad  :-X

420buddy, in my opinion, i think we weren't meant to take what Perez said seriously. The whole project on Auriga seems to be the baby of Dr Ren with Perez as head of security. When we hear him make the statement that Ripley died trying to wipe the species out, he's pretty annoyed and agitated even going as far as being sarcastic with Ren. So i'm pretty sure he was just talking out of his ass as i've heard people say similar things when frustrated by an individual or event or their just being over dramatic. Also, the military might not even be well informed as they might have made the xeno pens acid resistant and would have had better fail safes installed. I like to think the big deletion event in Civilized Beasts happened and wiped out alot of history. It would also fit with Tim Lebbons new trilogy as he reference something similar. Side note, Perez could also be intentionally keeping Ren in the dark. Oh and i just saw a video on youtube that might prove Firefly is canon to everything Alien as one of the moniters from the ships canons displays a Weyland Yutani logo. Sorry if thats already been discussed ;D

Number13

I have nothing against Perrys, I just prefer the stories the way they were when they were first released in the comic books. The whole thing about changing Newt and Hicks' names was dumb and then making Ripley a robot just doesn't make sense.

Which is why, I'm glad they're rereleasing the Mark Verhieden comic books the way they were when they were released. No more Billie and Wilks. Course, I already have the comic books, my half brother gave me Volume 1 and told me where to get the rest. They're one of my most prized possessions. Too bad they're not as valuable, you'd think reprinted comic books would be more rare. But, as they say on Pawn Stars, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable.

Trying to decide whether I wanna get rereleases and give the old ones back to my half brother, or just keep the ones I got. Love those books.

LordCassusSnow

Ripley was an android in that series??  :o Wow now i understand what you guys meant about resurrection! Sorry again!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed