Ridley Scott talks Prometheus

Started by Darkoo, Nov 07, 2011, 07:01:23 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus (Read 35,339 times)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ash 937 on Nov 09, 2011, 02:55:41 AM
I think that the DNA that Ridley is talking about is the same sort of stuff that fans of Star Wars saw with The Phantom Menace and the other two films in the new trilogy...

...We might get to see Ash get his original orders to "bring back the life form" as a top priority in his mission...

Quote from: Damon Lindelof
...with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, "Luke, I am your father", by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don't need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can't guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 08, 2011, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Nov 07, 2011, 09:07:46 PM
So, DNA is scriptwriter's speak generally means "core ideas"

Always has been. It's never been referenced in any quotes to infer literal genetics. Always in reference to the DNA (in other words, structure and story formula) of the original film.

And I suspect that any creatures we end up seeing will essentially be based on a concept shown in another of Giger's films; 'Species'. The genetically 'untainted' and relatively pure stock of Alien creature, before successive generations genetically adapt to host DNA assimilation.

It's the only way he'll realistically be able to achieve what he's talked about wanting to do, ever since his first DVD commentary about the original film: Redesign the same creature's look.

Hear, hear.

harlock

harlock

Methinks from the interview, probably like some others do, that the main Engineer was locked up for giving humans the gift of fire by the other SJs and its the Prometheus crew that lets the Engineer out from their "punishment" which is what we would have originally thought to be their hypersleep pod.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the thing they are stuck in (suitably Gigeresque and biotech in appearance) feast on its organs only to regenerate them with biotech only for the same to happen the next day, over and over again through the hundreds of thousands of years past that time. Dark stuff, just trying to picture the biomechanical structure that would do that is pretty heavy (also the thing would regenerate the Engineer as a whole so they stay alive across that vast amount of millenia...)

It also goes with that if the plynth shown in leaked screen caps with its numerous pods had more than one Engineer on it, that some of these pods had no Ragnarok proofing and broke down, leading to the death of the other imprisoned Engineers (or even leading to an Elder and Younger one released as stated in other rumours).

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 08, 2011, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Nov 07, 2011, 09:07:46 PM
So, DNA is scriptwriter's speak generally means "core ideas"

Always has been. It's never been referenced in any quotes to infer literal genetics. Always in reference to the DNA (in other words, structure and story formula) of the original film.

Okay. well, quite honestly I'm not up to date with screenwriters speak, I think probably when Ridley talked about it, it's the first time I've heard of it and it sounded like someone's private little language. But I did find a page about it the other day. http://johnaugust.com/2010/writing-from-theme

williammcnasty#awesome92

williammcnasty#awesome92

just gonna ignore the leaks for the sake of actually enjoying the movie guys

nendo

nendo

Quote from: Engineer1 on Nov 08, 2011, 07:48:30 PM
Quote from: nendo link
But how can an android be of higher being than Humans? If anything they are lower. Just because hes an android doesn't make him a higher being than us

A being that his faster, stronger and probably more intelligent than any human is in my mind a higher being.
Also his judgement and actions are not clouded by emotion and if he start to think on it's own then we are in trouble.
The creation becoming more powerful than its creator and taking over him as the next step in evolution is a recurent theme in scifi especially with artificial humans. If the replicants did not have a expiration date, they would definitly be the ruling class.
It fits the Prometheus myth and what we know of the movie so far perfectly.

Strength and speed have nothing to do with being of a higher being. Just means there strong and faster. That just like saying if a heavy weight boxer who can run extreme fast and having a PhD is of higher being than a bum who failed school and can't run.

If anything the lack of emotion makes a robot of lower being than humans. Humans are truly capable of independent though compared to a robot. Robots/ androids whatever are pre programmed with a set of pre defined behaviours. So even though they appear to be independent there are not.I don't see how that is of being of higher being when they have no independant thought

Engineer1

Engineer1

QuoteThat just like saying if a heavy weight boxer who can run extreme fast and having a PhD is of higher being than a bum who failed school and can't run.

Well your exemple won't work with me since i would tend to believe that the boxer is a higher being than the bum.
Physical abilities have everything to do with a superior being.
Prometheus was stronger than a regular human.
Take Ozymandias from Watchmen (the book not the movie) he's the pinacle of human evolution, he's free of emotion, he's like a mirror to Dr Manhattan who is actually a higher being, who is also not bound by human emotion.

The replicants are considered lower by their human creator who are in fact affraid of them.
If you did not get by the end of Blade Runner that the Replicants are higher beings than the humans that hunts them then Scott missed his point ^^

I keep quoting Blade Runner because from their interviews (and also those from Fassbender) it's the way Lindelof and Scott are going to deal with their artificial characters.
Scott did not hire Fassbender to play arigato mister roboto or some dumb pre programed machine but definitly to ask the same question as those in Blade Runner.

It just seems obvious to me that in the movie Scott is shooting (but you might be right in any other story) :

Gods = Engineers,
Prometheus = the artificial human David or Meredith
Humans = the human crew

It's fine if it's not for you.
We'll have to agree that we disagree ;)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Engineer1 on Nov 10, 2011, 02:50:23 PM
We'll have to agree that we disagree ;)
Of course, let's all remember that every one of us is essentially arguing from a point of ignorance  :)

nendo

nendo

Quote from: Engineer1 on Nov 10, 2011, 02:50:23 PM
QuoteThat just like saying if a heavy weight boxer who can run extreme fast and having a PhD is of higher being than a bum who failed school and can't run.

Well your exemple won't work with me since i would tend to believe that the boxer is a higher being than the bum.
Physical abilities have everything to do with a superior being.
Prometheus was stronger than a regular human.

Prometheus was a titan who ruled the earth before the gods. Prometheus was not a human he was the second generation of gods. Gods came after Titans.

If the prometheus story plays a bigger role then there could be 2 different types of alien in this. Human space jockey and then something else.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: nendo on Nov 10, 2011, 08:54:42 PM
there could be 2 different types of alien in this. Human space jockey and then something else.
Ridley hinted at this in the Alien Anthology booklet.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I keep wondering if Ridley actually said the movie was a kind of "Back to the future" in response to a question about the plot back in the Blick Interview last year in May. I suppose we'll never know. It was probably still an Alien prequel at the time though.

http://www.blick.ch/unterhaltung/kino/robin-hood-gabs-wirklich-146589

English translation from German.
72 he is. No age to give up big plans. The biggest: Alien, Part 5 "I am working on it. . It will go fast "After Hollywood era that means: The movie will come out in two years. The plot? A kind of "Back to the Future." Long before Sigourney Weaver was taking on board their space ship with the alien. Very long before. Scott is based on Erich von Daniken: "He has guessed right. Millions of years ago, there have been standing here and elsewhere more creatures. " It is a time when HR Giger's do not all monsters. "I have to create something new."

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Nov 10, 2011, 10:51:56 PM
I keep wondering if Ridley actually said the movie was a kind of "Back to the future" in response to a question about the plot back in the Blick Interview last year in May. I suppose we'll never know. It was probably still an Alien prequel at the time though.

http://www.blick.ch/unterhaltung/kino/robin-hood-gabs-wirklich-146589

English translation from German.
72 he is. No age to give up big plans. The biggest: Alien, Part 5 "I am working on it. . It will go fast "After Hollywood era that means: The movie will come out in two years. The plot? A kind of "Back to the Future." Long before Sigourney Weaver was taking on board their space ship with the alien. Very long before. Scott is based on Erich von Daniken: "He has guessed right. Millions of years ago, there have been standing here and elsewhere more creatures. " It is a time when HR Giger's do not all monsters. "I have to create something new."

Even if it was in relation to a more direct Alien prequel it seems the core ideas have carried over.
"Millions of years ago, there have been standing here and elsewhere more creatures".

What if the uncivilised place the explorers end up going to have many many many species populating it. Like on earth we have millions of animals and different races of humans. What if things are overpopulated and chaotic like in Blade Runner.

I personally hope that we've been thinking too narrowly about things in relation to Jockeys, ALIENS, Humans.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: tmjhur on Nov 11, 2011, 01:30:26 PM

Even if it was in relation to a more direct Alien prequel it seems the core ideas have carried over.
"Millions of years ago, there have been standing here and elsewhere more creatures".

Well, I'm trying to work out whether Ridley was saying that in the film they were going back to the future and the Icelandic interview misunderstood, or did he actually say, "ahem,it's a "Back to the Future" style plot but without a time traveling Delorean car"

(sorry Swiss-German, not Icelandic, I've been too busy caught up trying to make head or tail of some Icelandic to English translation of some article about Prometheus)

T Dog

T Dog

Well it's Lindelof so it's highly possible. And they made a comment in regards this showing what a modern tentpole science fiction can be. Which would indicate that it could have everything in it. Strange worlds, terraforming, creation-organic/biomechanoids/replicants, gods, time travel.

The Back To The Future comment most likely meant that he's going back to the franchise he started and that, now in the future (more than 30 years later) he's doing another one.

But it could also mean that the characters in the movie are going back within the movie and have to change events.
Maybe the the fight to save the future of the human race happens early on and for the rest of the film they have to go back and do things differently until BAM! they change something dramatically forever and create the ALIEN.

But we have to figure out first what the technology is that Prometheus gives to the humans. DNA CODE?

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: tmjhur on Nov 11, 2011, 02:32:40 PM
Well it's Lindelof so it's highly possible. And they made a comment in regards this showing what a modern tentpole science fiction can be. Which would indicate that it could have everything in it. Strange worlds, terraforming, creation-organic/biomechanoids/replicants, gods, time travel.

I wonder if Ridley said the title to make people think that it's Lost style time travelling as a red-herring. Endless piddling

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed