Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,882 times)

Ultramorph

What a nasty situation. Can't say they aren't aware of this back during the Defiance days, but this is a horrible situation.

Nostromo

Anyone else found Wood's writing and stories kinda rushed and short...hope a better writer shows up.

Just received Aliens Resistance TPB, same ole fast writing small storyline and the art is definitely not Tristan Jones caliber.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 01, 2019, 12:33:53 PM
Anyone else found Wood's writing and stories kinda rushed and short...hope a better writer shows up.

Yup, same. Hoping that moving forward Jones is brought on for more Aliens projects, and that they're of a higher caliber of writing.

Hed-Veta

Had everyone heard that Alec Holowka had committed suicide because of such fake accusations that had never been proven? How many people must die for such situations to be properly investigated? If Brian is really guilty , he should be punished. Oh yeah... exactly. I had forgotten that the punishment for a misdemeanor and public censure must follow BEFORE the Commission of a misdemeanor has been proved. Or should it be the other way around?
It's like a Fallout 76 - buy it now and we'll finish it later. Here - we will accuse you, you will lose your job, and your work (and not only yours, by the way) will fly into the garbage, and we will prove our accusations later (and maybe we will not prove, especially if you commit suicide like Alec).
I'm not saying these girls are really lying. But given other precedents, this possibility should not be overlooked.
Bullying is basically bad. But MAY BE you should apply this AFTER the FACT of the presence of convincing evidence of deviant human behavior? Or instead of the presumption of innocence, do we now have the presumption of guilt?
Now on the Internet you can do and say anything. That's just Brian now it is necessary to PROVE that he is not guilty. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Yes, there are screenshots of correspondence. But now a man with skills can put Tobey Maguire in a Infinity War.

Ben Brown

Cancel culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Hed-Veta on Sep 01, 2019, 01:13:45 PM
Had everyone heard that Alec Holowka had committed suicide because of such fake accusations that had never been proven? How many people must die for such situations to be properly investigated? If Brian is really guilty , he should be punished. Oh yeah... exactly. I had forgotten that the punishment for a misdemeanor and public censure must follow BEFORE the Commission of a misdemeanor has been proved. Or should it be the other way around?
It's like a Fallout 76 - buy it now and we'll finish it later. Here - we will accuse you, you will lose your job, and your work (and not only yours, by the way) will fly into the garbage, and we will prove our accusations later (and maybe we will not prove, especially if you commit suicide like Alec).
I'm not saying these girls are really lying. But given other precedents, this possibility should not be overlooked.
Bullying is basically bad. But MAY BE you should apply this AFTER the FACT of the presence of convincing evidence of deviant human behavior? Or instead of the presumption of innocence, do we now have the presumption of guilt?
Now on the Internet you can do and say anything. That's just Brian now it is necessary to PROVE that he is not guilty. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Yes, there are screenshots of correspondence. But now a man with skills can put Tobey Maguire in a Infinity War.

It is not a criminal proceeding before a criminal court. Nobody is getting punished in the legal sense, there are no preliminary proceedings etc. The dude is getting fired not put into jail.

You are confusing criminal charges with dismissal on grounds of conduct which is an entirely different animal.

DH believed the accusations and the correspondence was convincing evidence enough for them to fire him. They don't have to establish the same quality of evidence  as a prosecution department has to, and they can't, they don't have any authorization to investigate or have any specialized departments   etc, they are not the cops. Don't know what's so bad about the screenshots anyway. How is that no evidence? Sure it can theoretically be faked, but so can be theoretically any form of evidence. With that logic nothing is evidence enough.

If he finds his dismission wrongful, he can bring it before a civil court. There he can bring his evidence, DH brings their's, judge decides.

Hed-Veta

Quote from: The Kurgan on Sep 01, 2019, 01:41:13 PM

It is not a criminal proceeding before a criminal court. Nobody is getting punished in the legal sense, there are no preliminary proceedings etc. The dude is getting fired not put into jail.

You are confusing criminal charges with dismissal on grounds of conduct which is an entirely different animal.

DH believed the accusations and the correspondence was convincing evidence enough for them to fire him. They don't have to establish the same quality of evidence  as a prosecution department has to, and they can't, they don't have any authorization to investigate or have any specialized departments   etc, they are not the cops. Don't know what's so bad about the screenshots anyway. How is that no evidence? Sure it can theoretically be faked, but so can be theoretically any form of evidence. With that logic nothing is evidence enough.

If he finds his dismission wrongful, he can bring it before a civil court. There he can bring his evidence, DH brings their's, judge decides.

I'm not saying he went to jail. I'm talking about the fact that people and DH are somehow too easy to put Brian in the shoes of the culprit. I'm not saying that Brian is now legally punished. But you must admit, losing your job and seeing dozens of people speak negatively about you in the comments is absolutely unpleasant. And dismissal can be considered a form of punishment. Not in a legal way.
I'm talking about people's attitudes. As soon as the news appeared on the network - all immediately began to call Brian all possible negative epithets. Why does NO one ask the question - " is it true?" "and may be worth investigating?" "what if it's all a lie?"
There was an article with accusations. Good. But why not try to understand the situation? Both the publisher and the people in the comments who are now pouring shit on Brian. I'm talking about that attitude. Alec Holowka experienced this attitude. It wasn't his fault. It's good to know it wasn't his fault. Except the man's dead. And if people at least tried to fully understand the situation-maybe the guy would be alive. But in the end he was driven to suicide.

Naginata

To be clear, this isn't an isolated incident with Wood; there have been rumblings about his creepy behavior for years.

Ultramorph

Wood got a pass after similar allegations came out a few years ago and he admitted it and apologized. DH's best interest is to cut ties now that new allegations have come forward. I don't find it difficult to believe he's abusive, it's happened many, many times in this industries. Look at Dark Horse's last EIC.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Hed-Veta on Sep 01, 2019, 03:48:44 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Sep 01, 2019, 01:41:13 PM

I'm not saying he went to jail. I'm talking about the fact that people and DH are somehow too easy to put Brian in the shoes of the culprit. I'm not saying that Brian is now legally punished. But you must admit, losing your job and seeing dozens of people speak negatively about you in the comments is absolutely unpleasant. And dismissal can be considered a form of punishment. Not in a legal way.
I'm talking about people's attitudes. As soon as the news appeared on the network - all immediately began to call Brian all possible negative epithets. Why does NO one ask the question - " is it true?" "and may be worth investigating?" "what if it's all a lie?"
There was an article with accusations. Good. But why not try to understand the situation? Both the publisher and the people in the comments who are now pouring shit on Brian. I'm talking about that attitude. Alec Holowka experienced this attitude. It wasn't his fault. It's good to know it wasn't his fault. Except the man's dead. And if people at least tried to fully understand the situation-maybe the guy would be alive. But in the end he was driven to suicide.

People are always quick to kick when others are down, there is often prejudgment by the public, even if not legal punishment the effects on a life are servere following such allegations, all that is true.

But in this case you have the history, the mails, multiple victims, what would you accept as suitable evidence before DH  should act?

If this is not enough evidence, what is?

You can't really produce much more than that.

Even criminal convictions sometimes have as much or less evidence. You have few cases with 100 percent certainty most off the time.

On top of that he still has the possibility to bring it to court if he so desires.

So it's not all in DH's hands.

Naginata

Naginata

Also, like, HE ADMITTED TO IT at one point...  :P

People act like a guy who's a total creepazoid to one woman and abuses his position to cover it up is this unthinkable thing, but, like...

Does anyone honestly think 2013 was an isolated incident? This bizarre, completely out-of-character anomaly that happened out of nowhere one time and then never again? Again, this is one of many accusations - with evidence, with backup from other people, with an admission - and yet Dark Horse (who gave him the benefit of the doubt before, let's remember) is wrong for giving him the boot from the book? A work-for-hire video game tie-in, at that?

Come on::)

They're a private corporation removing an employee from a work-for-hire assignment because that employee's history and continued behavior makes them a PR liability. Welcome to Capitalism 101. Again - VIDEO GAME TIE-IN. I'm sure it would have been kinda cool, but it's not like we're missing out on a The Cold Forge or a Labyrinth here...

EDIT: Also, I can't believe I actually have to say this, but "well why didn't you call him out back when it happened" isn't even close to being a viable argument.

SM

You've failed in your first sentence.

You're dismissing or downplaying the accusations and pretending this is a court of law.  It isn't.  Dark Horse is obviously satisfied the accusations are accurate enough to terminate their working relationship.  If Wood believes it's unfair - he can sue.

You're either arguing in bad faith or a moron, and it's probably time to stop digging.

Engineer

I can't even believe there is a debate going on about whether or not dark horse made the right call...

OF COURSE THEY DID! Evidence aside, he has admitted to this behavior. He apologized after the first time, but he didn't learn from his past mistakes and repeated the behavior. That's called a pattern; his punishment THIS time was to be fired from the job. No one ruined his life; he was responsible for his own actions and knew what the consequences of his actions would be. If any thing it's HIS fault.

Do not blame the victims or the employer. Brian Wood knew what he was doing and what would happen to him as a result.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Disappointing.

I feel so sorry for Anne Scherbina, Laura Hudson and Tess Fowler.

No one should be treated like that ever, threats to their career for not granting sexual favours.

Sad and pathetic people sticking up for him when he is so obviously guilty.

Naginata

Also, as far as "what if the probable abuser kills themselves because its all an anti-man conspiracy YOU MEANIES" is concerned... You think nobody's ever done that as a RESULT OF being creeped on/assaulted/silenced/whateverthef**k? I know everyone's desperate to prop up this idea that we live in a PC-gone-mad ESS JAAY DUBBAYOO dystopia, but honestly, this is, like, the worst possible 'example' you could seize on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed