Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 53,375 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: swarm87 on Oct 30, 2015, 10:49:43 AM
YAY!!!!! no fanboy retcon fanfilm.
Pretty much this. Alien3 lives on (for now) and I couldn't be happier.

whiterabbit

Well we ALL know what this means.... NB for AVP³!

Seriously dudes.

Kel G 426

FOX probably doesn't want to spend the money and resources for two separate Alien movies at this point.  It's one thing for a crew to film two sequels back to back, but this would've involved the work of two entire production crews working on separate but similar projects.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Oct 30, 2015, 04:12:47 AM
aaaaaand this movie is not happening.
The director saying he is going to do other things just doesnt mean him alone. This means everyone else is now going out to do other things.

Now they will have to reschedule everything again when this thing restarts. And that will probably delay it even more.

This thing is not happening.

No one else was attached to this movie aside from Blomkamp, Scott and Weaver. It's not like they already had a cast and film crew signed on or were busy building props and sets. The first draft of the script was only handed in recently.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Oct 30, 2015, 04:31:54 AM
Yeah, no, not really. I'm not surprised this thing has evaporated after his last two bombs.

Elysium and Chappie bombed?  ???

Quote from: Kelgaard on Oct 30, 2015, 11:15:51 AM
FOX probably doesn't want to spend the money and resources for two separate Alien movies at this point.  It's one thing for a crew to film two sequels back to back, but this would've involved the work of two entire production crews working on separate but similar projects.

Most likely, as I said a while back, it's likely just an issue of funding and scheduling.

viendammage

Scott has a long standing relationship with Fox, producing and directing. If The Martian hadn't done as well I bet they would have given Blomkamp the go ahead with return of Ripley. I honestly don't know who at the studio is amped for Prometheus 2 or that Scott himself is chomping at the bit to do it. It makes sense business wise since Pro has the young  cast and recent exposure but word around an Aliens 2 has generally been positive and stirred up excitement since the artwork dropped months ago. Whereas Prometheus garnered some bonafide anger from viewers even though I liked it well enough.
As a bigger fan of Aliens over Alien or Prometheus, I couldn't help but smack my lips at the prospect of Ripley and Hicks 30 years later, the possibilities of a new, broader world with an old school action grit could really be something interesting. Versus offering a half baked origin story about the space jockey that should have already been answered if Prometheus wasn't half prequel, half reboot.
The Terminator comparison has some merit but in that case having Arnold might have hurt the film as he's way too much in the public eye after governor, divorce, love child, etc. People just don't want to pay to see him even when he's been making excellent films. Plus the concept isn't as fresh and the CGI is no longer groundbreaking.
Having Weaver and Biehn back is a hardcore fans dream come true while neither is gonna guarantee or repel seats in butts. If the trailers looked good and Blomkamp does his job, the concept and visuals would be enough to sell it. I also think it could be a smaller picture and investment but who knows. I still want to see Aliens 2 and maybe it will happen but it just lost all of its momentum in favor of a movie that it seems no one is clamoring for.

Kel G 426

^Good post.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 30, 2015, 11:12:04 AM
Well we ALL know what this means.... NB for AVP³!

Seriously dudes.

Bring it!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 30, 2015, 09:35:11 AM
I'm actually kinda surprised by this, given that Scott was only recently dropping 2017 as a release date for Blomkamp's film.

I was actually kinda surprised by Scott's "2017" release date. Was figuring it would release sometime in 2018, because in order to get it into cinemas by 2017, Blomkamp would have needed to start filming hot off the heels of Paradise Lost which already has a development lead of about 2 years.

Whiskeybrewer

Well I think this is good news. Means we have Alien 3 for longer and it fits with the fact that Blomkamp had to change elements of his planned story because of what Ridley wanted to do with Paradise Lost.

Also means I can get back to my script (Provisionally titles; Alien : Bloodlines)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 30, 2015, 01:19:18 PMI was actually kinda surprised by Scott's "2017" release date. Was figuring it would release sometime in 2018, because in order to get it into cinemas by 2017, Blomkamp would have needed to start filming hot off the heels of Paradise Lost which already has a development lead of about 2 years.

Fair point, but still, it implies the film was still on course when he said it, and that was only recently.

RakaiThwei

I am hearing a lot of people say that the Alien 3 retcon  not happening even if Blomkamp does his movie later on. Where on any film news site do they stay this?

Corporal Hicks

It doesn't. People keep saying the delay is indefinite which isn't what Blomkamp said.

Perfect-Organism

I like that Blomkamp specifically mentioned "Ripley" in his post which implies that she will factor into his film.  However, this is probably the worst news of the year so far with regards to the Aliens universe.  While there is nothing to suggest that the film is permanently off the rails, this does not bode well.  I think it is literally the most important thing to reset the continuity after the Aliens film if the franchise is to be saved.  Many people share this opinion, and many don't.  Anyway, it's just opinion.

I make a point of not posting this often to not be a pain in the ass, but given today's happenings, I would like to invite people who are in favor of a franchise reset post-Aliens to join the page on Facebook dedicated to this.  Look for Aliens.Continuity.Change on Facebook if you support the idea of a retcon or just want to see how this plays out.  Cheers!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 30, 2015, 02:28:08 PMI think it is literally the most important thing to reset the continuity after the Aliens film if the franchise is to be saved.

To suggest that is literally the only way for things to move forward is ridiculous in the extreme.

Perfect-Organism

Huda why are you disparaging my opinions?  I don't disparage yours.  They're just opinions.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

What the hell has 'Genisys' got to do with this? The reasons that failed have nothing to do with it being a retcon and everything to do with poor script, direction and casting.

'Terminator 2' effectively retconned some of 'The Terminator'. Are we also going to say retcon = success because of that, too? A lot of people also seemed to like how the recent 'X-Men' film has also retconned a lot of that history, too - and that was successful. Silliness...

The reason for this undoubtedly has everything to do with Ridley Scott being a producer on Blomkamp's enterprise. He won't be able to do an effective job of that if he's simultaneously so immersed in helming the 'Prometheus' sequel. To say that slight delay therefore must mean the other film will no longer happen, has no basis in reality. It's been green-lit - the budget has been authorised. It's simply a matter of timing, no more, no less. Hardly a first in Hollywood.

Also, look at the quote: "Alien is kinda holding/pending 'Prometheus 2'."

That means P2's schedule is responsible for altering A5's. It's nothing to do with whether or not there is/isn't a retcon or whether it would/wouldn't work. Assuming a retcon features, any potential problems Fox might have with that would have already been dealt with.

It's just Scott having his fingers in too many pies and needing more time to commit. Possibly also some story elements he's told NB he'd like to have crossed over, but which need revealing in P2, first. But almost certainly finding time for obligatory producer duties.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed