Prey: BTS Thread

Started by ace3g, Aug 05, 2022, 09:57:57 PM

Author
Prey: BTS Thread (Read 42,524 times)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: shadowedge on Oct 18, 2022, 04:46:19 PMSo I watched this and a lot of the Predator effects,  even in the last fight were CGI entirely? In this video for those shots it shows an empty background and then they add in the Predator? Was there no practical suit actor augmented with CGI for much of the movie?

If this wasn't filmed in Studio I can completely understand why they went this route.
Night time shooting are difficult, you are 30% as efficient as you are in daylight (finding anything in the dark is slow, even with Frontal lamp) dressing in a Predator costume must be hours of prep and choreography/fight scenes are a very slow process of filming, each re-set between takes is about 10 time as long as a normal take with a very efficient team, especially if what you've planned doesn't work and you have to brainstorm out how to surpass that difficulty to have the choreography work.
Since you are tired too, you are far more subject of hurting yourself and this can create huge troubles on set.
From these standpoints, I could completely see why they would go full CGI. For practical the easy route would be to film in a controlled environment / studio like most blockbuster do so everyone is at their best but this is a very expansive rent.

SiL

SiL

There are plenty of BTS shots of Dane in the suit at night.

bobcunk

bobcunk

I think most of the predator scenes were mostly practical with cgi enhancements, the only times it looked bad was when it gets its mask knocked off and the close up of his face at the end, I still don't know why they replaced the practical mask is you brighten the that scene it looks like cgi from the Scorpion king or some other 20 year old film.

pmaz11

pmaz11

Quote from: ace3g on Oct 15, 2022, 03:23:56 AMPractical

https://www.mpcfilm.com/app/uploads/2022/10/BB0250_0005_TD195plate.1062-1280x495.jpg
CGI

https://www.mpcfilm.com/app/uploads/2022/10/BB0250_0006_TD195.1062-1280x495.jpg

^The practical still takes the win here. I'm sorry. I mean I'm all for the CGI enhancements/touch-ups to make things more organic, real, or what have you in this case. I can absolutely appreciate taking the time to do that. But sometimes, the focus needs to be better on when that's applied exactly & how subtle those fixes are done, goes a long way. Too much kinda was done with the Feral's face IMO.

Still, an example that I slightly love/hate, is how the Feral predator's hands got the CGI treatment when holding the ashes, which looked great! But not in other parts :-X (which is still totally fine). But I say that ADI or whoever could have corrected that practical (issue?) when sculpting the latex hands? Why waste money later having to fix the hands and add the CGI ashes to them as well, etc.? Maybe easier to pull off the effect they wanted? But just pointing it out.

But at the end of the day, I gotta say here, with brightening up the "Practical" shot (picture below). I mean... :o !!!

ace3g

pmaz11

pmaz11

Thanks for the post of that @ace3g! I've recently followed the Stan Winston School on fb & think I saw some of that post before, which is fantastic that they covered the Prey film 8)

Also, I noticed looking online at a random TV spot from Canada I think. There was a new shot of Feral Predator dropping a spear into the spear gun. I snapped 2 shots of it from the TV spot below, anyone else see these?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I never saw this, cool !

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Looks a little wider than the previous shots of that we've seen? Or am I misremembering.

SiL

SiL

It originally appeared in some social media square aspect videos.

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

Kradan

Kradan

Almost 4 months ago when the movie just came out Feral's face reveal was quite a shock but now when I see images of it I go "Oooh, it's that guy"

ace3g

ace3g

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That was brilliant!

Kailem

Kailem

It almost makes me want a version of the movie now with that footage edited in of Sarii just running past Feral, allowing him to spear Naru and fly off home! :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed