Why does no one care about the human characters?

Started by KillingJoke, Sep 07, 2007, 01:40:42 AM

Author
Why does no one care about the human characters? (Read 31,440 times)

KillingJoke

It seems like people are forgetting that the characters are what made the original films (Alien, Aliens, Predator to some extent) great.  Even those who didn't like Alien 3 admitted that the acting was excellent and the characters of Clemens, Dillon, and Aaron were intriguing.  Hell even AR had some fun characters like Johner and Dr. Wren.

But with AvP and AvP 2 it seems like the humans are just targets for the creatures.  I know a lot of you find that "cool" or whatever, but seriously, why have filmmaking standards been set so low with AvP 2? 

Just because this is a monster movie doesn't mean that the writers and directors can make the creatures cool and everything else shitty.  Would Alien be the masterpiece its considered today if it didn't have any depth?  No, it would have been forgotten after a month.

Paul Anderson was right when he said that actors sell the horror, but unfortunately, while he had good actors with AvP, none of the characters were all that interesting.  Now with AvP 2 we have both a lame cast and a seemingly lamer cast of characters.  Scotty?  Ricky?  *sigh*

Major Alan Schaefer

Hopefully the main charaters will be great charaters this time we have more main charaters and not only a Ripley...and expedable people...we have a Dutch or Hicks in Dallas hopefully and the Sheirf might be a good charater and the Actors maybe will do good i haven't seen them in anything to judge them

pred_alien

Quote from: KillingJoke on Sep 07, 2007, 01:40:42 AM
It seems like people are forgetting that the characters are what made the original films (Alien, Aliens, Predator to some extent) great.  Even those who didn't like Alien 3 admitted that the acting was excellent and the characters of Clemens, Dillon, and Aaron were intriguing.  Hell even AR had some fun characters like Johner and Dr. Wren.

But with AvP and AvP 2 it seems like the humans are just targets for the creatures.  I know a lot of you find that "cool" or whatever, but seriously, why have filmmaking standards been set so low with AvP 2? 

Just because this is a monster movie doesn't mean that the writers and directors can make the creatures cool and everything else shitty.  Would Alien be the masterpiece its considered today if it didn't have any depth?  No, it would have been forgotten after a month.

Paul Anderson was right when he said that actors sell the horror, but unfortunately, while he had good actors with AvP, none of the characters were all that interesting.  Now with AvP 2 we have both a lame cast and a seemingly lamer cast of characters.  Scotty?  Ricky?  *sigh*
how do we know that the directers made the humans shitty...we saw a red band trailer...last time i watched it there was absolutely no characterization whatsoever...so for all we know they really develope the humans...and make us feel bad for them when they die..

but remember this is aliens and preds fighting...its not about humans...its about the fighting..who gives a f**k the humans are all fodder

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: pred_alien on Sep 07, 2007, 01:44:05 AM

but remember this is aliens and preds fighting...its not about humans...its about the fighting..who gives a f**k the humans are all fodder
I do

CelticP

Let me just say the name...

Aliens Vs. Predator. Thats what we're paying for....right?

KillingJoke

Quotebut remember this is aliens and preds fighting...its not about humans...its about the fighting..who gives a f**k the humans are all fodder

Wow, thank you for proving my point.  ::)  And I'm sorry if my standards aren't as low as yours.

pred_alien

Quote from: KillingJoke on Sep 07, 2007, 01:46:52 AM
Quotebut remember this is aliens and preds fighting...its not about humans...its about the fighting..who gives a f**k the humans are all fodder

Wow, thank you for proving my point.  ::)  And I'm sorry if my standards aren't as low as yours.
and im sorry that if a movie is called aliens vs predator that i wanna actually see a the movie have aliens and preds fighting...

and what celtic p said

Major Alan Schaefer

and have a shitty story? i'd rather have a great story with fighting then them fighting nonstop

That Yellow Alien

Because the separate franchises are about the humans trying to survive the creatures. These VS movies exist for a different reason. To show the two creatures battle each other. And of course to milk the franchises even further until their tit is dry.

Mymphisgold101

Many fans of franchises such as "Alien" and "Predator" are desensitized sociopaths who are most likely obese little bastards. These people are probably still dealing with emotional problems as a result of their parents divorce or being molested as a child.

I AM an a fan of both Alien and Predator BTW. I am in no way trying to say that all fans of these sagas are defected or even desensitized. Although, it is incontrovertible that many are.

Also, no one on this forum can say that music, film, or video games aren't somewhat responsible for certain behavioralism they may have. I don't care what anyone says, those columbine f**ks were directly influenced by "Marilyn Manson". I've read an accumulation of testimonies from people who were there who have reported both of the killers saying statements like," This is just like out of a Marilyn Manson video." and " They'll make a video game based on this one day". The truly unfortunate thing is that there is a video game in which you play as those two disturbed teenagers killing as many kids as you can.

We are social creatures, much like the primate. We were not meant to kill, or even fight unless it meant to protect our families or territories. I hate f**ks who cheer for serial killers and praise them as some sort of genius. They have mental defects, and are flawed in their ability to cope with the living conditions of the human society.

ShadowPred

I want this movie to actually make me give a damn about the characters, I want some damn development!!! >:(

Bishop2

Quote from: CelticP on Sep 07, 2007, 01:46:37 AM

You can't really root for, or care about, a couple of alien monsters that kill the shit out of people.  So personally, yeah, I'm paying to see Aliens and Predators fight.  But it's all useless and stupid if I don't care about the humans.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:15:37 AM

You can't really root for, or care about, a couple of alien monsters that kill the shit out of people.  So personally, yeah, I'm paying to see Aliens and Predators fight.  But it's all useless and stupid if I don't care about the humans.

THANK YOU!!!!

CelticP

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:15:37 AM

Uh...yes I can.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Mymphisgold101 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:11:34 AM
Many fans of franchises such as "Alien" and "Predator" are desensitized sociopaths who are most likely obese little bastards. These people are probably still dealing with emotional problems as a result of their parents divorce or being molested as a child.

I AM an a fan of both Alien and Predator BTW. I am in no way trying to say that all fans of these sagas are defected or even desensitized. Although, it is incontrovertible that many are.

Also, no one on this forum can say that music, film, or video games aren't somewhat responsible for certain behavioralism they may have. I don't care what anyone says, those columbine f**ks were directly influenced by "Marilyn Manson". I've read an accumulation of testimonies from people who were there who have reported both of the killers saying statements like," This is just like out of a Marilyn Manson video." and " They'll make a video game based on this one day". The truly unfortunate thing is that there is a video game in which you play as those two disturbed teenagers killing as many kids as you can.

We are social creatures, much like the primate. We were not meant to kill, or even fight unless it meant to protect our families or territories. I hate f**ks who cheer for serial killers and praise them as some sort of genius. They have mental defects, and are flawed in their ability to cope with the living conditions of the human society.

Ok, I don't know how you got all of that from this topic, but you touched on a subject that I feel strongly about.

The media may influence us to a degree, but to say the Columbine kids became killers because of a musician is moronic. It was the kids that tormented them that caused them to crack. Not music, not video games.

I love how the Jack Thompsons of the world say videogames and movies cause violence. Really? We have less violence than any period before us. Was Billie the Kid affected by video games? Was Ghengis Knan a ruthless, killing ruler because he played Counter-Strike? Violence is human nature, not the cause of outward influences. Get a clue. ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed