Prometheus 2 To "Begin" Answering Questions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 17, 2015, 09:12:13 AM

Author
Prometheus 2 To "Begin" Answering Questions (Read 25,703 times)

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 23, 2015, 08:34:11 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 23, 2015, 08:04:23 PMWhy did it make the worms sexy hammerpedes and Fifield a butt ugly zombie?

Because it was gonna make Fifield a sexy Alien but then they changed it into something else that makes significantly less sense. Basically like the entire movie.

When I discovered this after seeing Prometheus, going home and jumping online the high I was on from seeing the film immediately evaporated.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 23, 2015, 08:47:27 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 23, 2015, 08:04:23 PMWhy did it make the worms sexy hammerpedes and Fifield a butt ugly zombie?

Because it was gonna make Fifield a sexy Alien but then they changed it into something else that makes significantly less sense. Basically like the entire movie.

Zing! But yeah.
Well just like tmjhur said; it's a 130 million dollar prologue.

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Sep 23, 2015, 09:29:23 PM

When I discovered this after seeing Prometheus, going home and jumping online the high I was on from seeing the film immediately evaporated.
The high never arrived for me. Neither did it for the entire audience... I think one or two people started to clap but then that silent awkwardness crept in. You know it doesn't happen to me often; but I was at a total loss for words for quite some time. :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Just to sort of go back to the main point, my biggest issue with Prometheus was that nothing was explained with any sense of satisfaction (or at all). I'd really appreciate the sequel answering some questions and not being another setup entry. I found it quite frustrating as a viewer.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 24, 2015, 07:50:49 AMJust to sort of go back to the main point, my biggest issue with Prometheus was that nothing was explained with any sense of satisfaction (or at all).

I don't know if it was so much that nothing was explained - there's nothing wrong with leaving questions unanswered, look at Alien - but I had issue with the fact the questions Prometheus posed made no damn sense.

Why would the Engineers make us just to decide to kill us all at a later date?

Why would they leave us directions to a biological weapons depot if they simply plan to return with said weapons and wipe us out?

Why would David decide to infect Holloway when it could, in all likelihood, endanger Weyland, whose survival is the entire point of the mission?

Why is Shaw heading to the Engineer home world alone in search of "answers" when they apparently want to batter her to death with their bare hands on sight?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 24, 2015, 07:59:40 AM

I don't know if it was so much that nothing was explained - there's nothing wrong with leaving questions unanswered, look at Alien - but I had issue with the fact the questions Prometheus posed made no damn sense.

I agree with the sentiment but when they make a big deal of a movie asking and answering questions I'd expect them to actually answer them.  :P

But I completely agree with the other points too.

david8

david8

I agree that Prometheus didn't answer its questions in a fulfilling way, and that it never really intended to is all the more frustrating, but I disagree that many of the pertinent questions don't make sense. "Why did they create humans only to decide to destroy them?" Assuming the engineers on lv-223 actually did purposely create human beings, and let's assume they did, they either changed their mind about the worth of humankind and thus decided to wipe the slate clean with a new biological creation (guess what), or they simply wanted to create something else in an old petri dish just because they could, but it's important to remember that the question rests solely on what Shaw has extrapolated. It's the same as asking why some parents hate or don't care about their children, and David represents the inverse of this theme; where he wants his parents dead, and so while he does serve Weyland, it's clear what his ultimate motives are. Heck, he's the first to assure Holloway that the air is "perfectly breathable", thus his efforts to expose the crew to infection was evident before he dipped the goo in Holloway's drink. That this could put Weyland at risk wouldn't phase David; Weyland merely told him to try harder, and with that he could doubly serve Weyland and his own motives.  Also, the star maps don't point specifically to lv-223; there would be multiple worlds they could have landed on in the star system, they simply chose an earth-like planetoid in that system, but alas it turned out to be anthrax island and not the home world of the engineers. That the star maps were an "invitation" is also just Shaw's assumption. I prefer Fifield's assumption - "bullshit".

whiterabbit

Prometheus answered one big question from alien and that was what was the space jockey. It was a giant albino humanoid. So... there's that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: david8 on Sep 24, 2015, 08:54:08 AMThat the star maps were an "invitation" is also just Shaw's assumption. I prefer Fifield's assumption - "bullshit".

But if the facility is making/housing biological weapons that are earmarked for our destruction, why would the Engineers leave us any clue as to where it is? That would be like Assad emailing the Syrian rebels with the locations of his chemical weapons stockpiles.

Xenomorphine

Could just as easily have been something else and then repurposed.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 25, 2015, 12:10:26 AM

Seems like a stretch. It was just another issue with the narrative.

Xenomorphine

Well, being a different kind of building might actually explain why it had those pseudo-religious engravings all over the place... Might have been turned into a storage area at a much later time.

For somewhere which was speculated as being where they made the stuff, it seemed to lack anything even approaching what could be recognised as a series of laboratories, much less production assembly.

come to think of it, that might be why they were meant to be painted as pointing to that constellation: It was originally some sort of centre for cultural understanding/teaching, which their cultural 'missionaries' assembled at to leave in their spaceships for various different worlds. Then it later got turned into somewhere for keeping the black ooze (or was taken over by a different faction). That big giant head might have just been somewhere they later decided to store some of the urns, rather than having any symbolic relation to them.

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 24, 2015, 08:04:29 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 24, 2015, 07:59:40 AM

I agree with the sentiment but when they make a big deal of a movie asking and answering questions I'd expect them to actually answer them.  :P

But I completely agree with the other points too.
I feel like the whole presentation was as another member put it; a prologue. I really feel that his sequel will be a better movie in every aspect.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 25, 2015, 09:05:25 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 25, 2015, 12:10:26 AM

Seems like a stretch. It was just another issue with the narrative.

"Paradise Lost" implies there could've been a civil war if it's based on the actual poem which explores a civil war in the heavens.

What if that Engineer pointing at the stars was saying "if you go out there, don't go near these stars."

However, if that facility is truly 2,000 years old, then I don't see how Xenomorphines' suggestion is a stretch as 2 millennia is a lot of time for things to change.

On the other hand, that could have belonged to our creators, and then taken by force from this other faction, or it was found abandoned and then occupied by this faction.

Hopefully the sequels begin answering questions as I'd like to find out as well some of these questions.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Sep 26, 2015, 06:24:44 PM
What if that Engineer pointing at the stars was saying "if you go out there, don't go near these stars."

"You said go there!"

"We said DON'T go there!"

:D

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Sep 26, 2015, 06:28:48 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Sep 26, 2015, 06:24:44 PM

"You said go there!"

"We said DON'T go there!"

:D

Ha!  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed