Opening scene

Started by Ronoc, Mar 30, 2020, 01:57:09 PM

Author
Opening scene (Read 1,547 times)

TC

TC

Also, now that I think about it, without that opening spaceship shot I don't think there's any kind of explanation anywhere in the film as to where the Predator comes from. No one ever refers to it as an alien or speculates about its origin. Am I right?

There's only this:

Anna : When I was little, we found a man. He looked like - like, butchered. The old women in the village crossed themselves, and whispered crazy things, strange things. "El diablo cazador de hombres". Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skin... and sometimes much, much worst. "El que hace trofeos de los hombres" means "the demon who makes trophies of men".

It seems obvious to us now, but in 1987 maybe John McTiernan thought he owed the audience a definitive answer to that question.

TC

The Old One

The Old One

The first time I missed the opening scene.

Kradan

Kradan

Personally, I'd be good without it. It's just several brief shots which doesn't really add much . It would make the reveal more effective, I guess.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I don't think the intro has any real affect on the big reveal at the end, seeing as we get a a few glimpses of the Predator creature beforehand. If anything, it just clues the audience in on the creature being alien, as TC mentioned. He's not just a creature from the Black Lagoon. 

Ronoc

Ronoc

Yeah, though I think I always assumed he was an alien after seeing it. The tech and his face I guess

Kradan

Kradan

This ^^^

PredBabe

PredBabe

True, the tech definitely gives it away if nothing else.

I still don't think it ruins the reveal at the end as that was more shocking due to the impressive design and creature effects. Though maybe it would have been more effective for the med kit scene. It's just foreshadowing though, a quick shot to let people know that something sc-fi-y is going on before jumping into what seems like a typical 90s action flick.

It was probably the best way to include the ship since, at one point, they considered having Dutch and Anytime duke things out right outside the thing.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

It is important for general audiences. It's typical Mcternian direction.

This movie is about an alien hunter. Right up front. The next  half hour of movie is concerned with ratcheting the tension. You know there's something, you're just waiting for it to show up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed