Prometheus Set & Location Pictures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 08, 2011, 09:38:34 AM

Author
Prometheus Set & Location Pictures (Read 81,783 times)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gates on Oct 13, 2011, 04:39:14 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Oct 13, 2011, 07:12:52 AM
I gave up trying to explain to people about the sticky thread.  If folks can't take 2 minutes to read previous posts then that's their loss.
Dude, relax...either answer my question or move on...I don't need a lesson on how to navigate a forum...

I don't know why you feel my comment was directed at yourself in particular.  I was merely stating how it can get tiresome continually informing people of the thread marked "read this before posting", especially when I've already reminded folks on page 6 of this thread.  As I previously stated, that remark was not made in response to your post.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Splendid! So we can move along then?  ;)

SM

SM

QuoteIf the ACTORS can't see their surroundings, how the F*CK are they supposed to act??

They're paid (a lot in some instances) to make pretend.  If they can't use their imagination then they're in the wrong game.

ThisBethesdaSea

SM that answer is a bit less than charitable. Yes, they're actors, but they also have to buy what they're going to eventually be selling to us. It's one thing to act when there's an element of a set piece that is green screen. It's quite another when 80 percent of your set isn't there.

SM

SM

Loads of actors pull it off with no problem.  Lots of Star Wars sets were 100% green screen.  While the acting wasn't anything special it was more than adequate for the type of film they were making.

Andy Serkis didn't even have a green screen when he was doing mocap for LOTR and King Kong.  I suspect the same was true for a lot of Avatar.

ThisBethesdaSea

After reading your last post, and knowing what I know of Avatar, LOTR, and the Prequels, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

SM

SM

After reading your bitching about poor actors having to work with little or no set, I don't think you know very much about Avatar, LOTR and the Prequels.

Working against a completely digital character who isn't even in the shot would be way more difficult than working against a green screen and loads of actors pull that off too.

Mark Hamill isn't going to win any acting awards anytime soon, but his talent completely sold Yoda as a real character rather some rubber and Frank Oz's hand.

It's all make believe.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: SM on Oct 14, 2011, 02:26:01 AM
Loads of actors pull it off with no problem.  Lots of Star Wars sets were 100% green screen.

Yes, but whenever you see a close-up shot of Yoda's face to fit the entire screen there isn't anymore room for the real actor to be in frame.  So of course it's easy to pull it off with the it's 100% green screen.

Therefore, ThisBethesdaSea is not very informed about what he is saying and SM is right.

Glaive

Glaive

I swear most of the 'users' on this site can't be older than 15...
There's SO MUCH nonsense being spouted, it's literally off the chart!

Alien³

Alien³

Just poking my nose in to say I've enjoyed reading the last 4 pages of this thread.  ;)

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Glaive on Oct 14, 2011, 07:08:37 AM
I swear most of the 'users' on this site can't be older than 15...
There's SO MUCH nonsense being spouted, it's literally off the chart!

That'll do with the sweeping generalisations, thanks.

ThisBethesdaSea

What sold Yoda was Frank Oz. Period. And the actors on Avatar were there in person, recording mo cap. Obviously their surroundings were green screen but they acted against each other, not a wooden poll. In LOTR, there also were actors and partial sets present, the rest enhanced with CGI. Andy Serkis was also on set, on location with the actors portraying the hobbit. For his more intimate scenes, it was just Andy Serkis by himself, playing off himself.

Valaquen

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Oct 14, 2011, 12:58:57 PM
What sold Yoda was Frank Oz. Period. And the actors on Avatar were there in person, recording mo cap. Obviously their surroundings were green screen but they acted against each other, not a wooden poll. In LOTR, there also were actors and partial sets present, the rest enhanced with CGI. Andy Serkis was also on set, on location with the actors portraying the hobbit. For his more intimate scenes, it was just Andy Serkis by himself, playing off himself.
I think it's as simple as 'Lucas can't direct actors.' Even Portman, a great actress, was flat in those movies. He isn't a good writer either; both things he has admitted to personally. (sets were also built for Avatar)

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Oct 14, 2011, 02:26:01 AM
Loads of actors pull it off with no problem.  Lots of Star Wars sets were 100% green screen.  While the acting wasn't anything special it was more than adequate for the type of film they were making.

Andy Serkis didn't even have a green screen when he was doing mocap for LOTR and King Kong.  I suspect the same was true for a lot of Avatar.

Totally agree with this!  Wether or not an actor buys into what they are paid to do is not the point, if they can't sell what the audience is meant to see they shouldn't be in the game at all, some things should just come naturally.  By the same token, any good actor would make light work of a bad script, something all the Star Wars prequels were guilty of in my opinion. A fine example of this would be the excellent Scottish stage and screen actor Ian McDiarmid, who practically lifted Lucas's lame writing skills single handed, as opposed to the likes of Hayden Christensen, the 'star' of those films, who isn't neccesarily a bad actor, but who was clearly out of his depth when it came to making the audience believe in something just because he couldn't see it.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Oct 14, 2011, 12:58:57 PM
What sold Yoda was Frank Oz. Period.

What sold Yoda was Mark Hamill, even Lucas himself said "It wouldn't matter how good it looked on screen if the actor didn't make you believe it"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed