What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 33,213 times)

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

In all honesty what did it in for me was the predators dying really fast, though I didn't mind it when I was young but now I imagine what if they lived?

Oh and the alliance at the end.....F**K DAT

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Paul Anderson also said on that dvd that the Predators in P1 and P2 were even younger and less experienced than the teenagers in his AVP and no one takes that seriously.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 09, 2015, 01:09:47 AM
Paul Anderson also said on that dvd that the Predators in P1 and P2 were even younger and less experienced than the teenagers in his AVP and no one takes that seriously.

As much as I love AVP, I've always thought inversely about that statement.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 08, 2015, 09:54:59 PM
In all honesty what did it in for me was the predators dying really fast, though I didn't mind it when I was young but now I imagine what if they lived?

That bothers me even less now. Because I think it represented the creatures quite rightly. Chopper went down due to the Alien's stealth (which is how it should be) and Celtic went down due to his own arrogance (which is another showcase of getting the Predator's right).

SiL

SiL

In-character or not, it's still pissweak when you've had 14 years of expectations and you kill two of your three Predators in the space of 10 minutes. It's part of the third act feeling rushed: 55 minutes of excruciating build to 30 minutes of rushed action.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just saying that correct representation is one of the things I actually like now-a-days. I completely agree that the conflict comes too late and rushed though.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 08, 2015, 09:40:39 PM
So they are their own canon, an AU, or were never canon in the first place.

I think it was made to fit into the timeline, but it wasn't intended that future Alien and Predator films should adhere to their continuity.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 09, 2015, 08:15:46 AM
Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 08, 2015, 09:54:59 PM

That bothers me even less now. Because I think it represented the creatures quite rightly. Chopper went down due to the Alien's stealth (which is how it should be) and Celtic went down due to his own arrogance (which is another showcase of getting the Predator's right).

I get where you are coming, maybe from a biological standpoint or logical standpoint the predators should have died like that.

However, it's a film, it's not real. They should've kept at least one of the other predators alive to develop the story more and create more fight scenes rather than using scar for the rest of the movie.

If they did that then the film probably would have been twice as long, twice the action, and twice as good.....not to mention a lot more fans would have evolved.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: overthere on Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PMWhat makes AvP bad?

For me, it's mostly the the fact that the characters are all so amazingly bland and forgettable. The only one who stands out at all is Weyland, but even then that's only because it's Lance Henriksen playing him, and not because of how he's written. I mean, come on, this guy is the founder of Weyland-Yutani, he should be far more memorable than what we got!

The rest of the cast are all varying degrees of faceless or bad cliché. ("Hello, I'm knock-off Ripley, except I'm also black because that blatantly makes me my own character." "Hello, I'm white male Vasquez, because I'm an angry soldier.") Of course, you can be cliché in a movie, so long as you have personality. But none of the characters in the film did.

To make things worse, all the dialogue - especially the dialogue that is attempting to be "cool" - is just crap, and the fact the film had its fair share of bad acting only served to make the dialogue problem worse.

More than anything, those things kill it for me, because I honestly give zero shits about the people I'm watching, which means I give zero shits about how the film turns out.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

What was bad for the movie was:

- One sided matches. A xeno takes out three Predators like it was nothing was crap IMO
- The movie is very dull to sit through for the second time. Each viewing wants me to put me to alseep.
- All of the human characters suck and are forgettable.
- The girl and Predator bond with each other was bad since there was no chemistry with each other
- The acting was bad and the dialogue sucked
- The PG-13 rating hurt the movie too given that the series needs to be dark and violent.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

It's just a very poor film with an admittedly interesting and quite original concept, and that for me is the most disappointing thing. The idea of Aliens and Predators fighting it out in a dark, mysterious, shape shifting pyramid is an appealing idea and far removed from anything we've seen before. But aside from this core idea, everything else is terrible.

First off, the present day earth setting is completely pointless. I believe this was John Davis' wish and part of the reason he ended up going with Paul Anderson's script is because it fitted this idea. Straight away this is a kick in the teeth to the character of Ripley who lost everything precious to her and even her own life in an effort to prevent the alien ever reaching Earth. But then again, the Earth setting is a false threat because the story is set 2000 feet underground an island off the coast of Antarctica, meaning the Aliens have literally no way of ever reaching civilisation. Paul Anderson even said himself that his story was set in Antarctica because it was the closest thing on Earth to a hostile alien planet, which kind of begs the question why it wasn't just set on an alien planet to begin with. Throughout the film, Lex whinges about them not letting the alien reach the surface otherwise 'everything everwhere could die'. This threat is meaningless and therefore as an audience we simply don't care.

The characters are all poor, which is a common trait of any Paul Anderson script. People have already mentioned how dull and uninteresting they are and therefore we simply don't care. Some of their actions are ridiculous too. Can someone tell me how Quinn, in the middle of a blazing snowstorm at night, somehow spots a fully-clocked Celtic Predator standing unmoving on a roof 30 feet above him?

The creatures. I thoroughly dislike ADI's work in this franchise. Their Predators are just beyond awful and are just completely laughable when compared to P1 and P2. They are far too bulky to the point of looking overweight and you can clearly see their wrist blades and dreadlocks are made of rubber. They are so far removed from what came before it's untrue. Why was the vision changed? Why the triple heart beat removed and the sound effects changed? They are such a staple trait of the character. When the Predators run in this film they look as though they are going to keel over from a heart attack. Where is the cunning, graceful and imposing creature that stalked and cut down Dillon from P1? These creatures are not even distant relatives. And of course, I'm not even going to mention their faces or the ridiculously big plasma casters.
As for the Alien, again I'm not a fan of ADI's work and there is too much needless CGI when practical effects could have been used.

The pacing. Sil was spot on with his reasoning. 55 minutes of slow burn is all well and good but then the movie literally ends 30 minutes later just as it gets started. And to have 55 minutes of slow burn and still not give a shit about any of the characters takes some doing.

The team up. It just doesn't work. The concept may be fine on a comic book page, but it should be kept off the screen in my opinion.

The fights. The main fight between Celtic and Grid just looked like two piss heads having a brawl in a back alleyway. It was so poorly choreographed.

Lack of blood. Then CGI blood. PG-13 rating.

And for all the hate that AVPR deservedly gets, the story of aliens infecting a present day American subburb with teenagers running round with guns is a result of that pointless present-day earth setting the first film gave us.

WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. (Wishful thinking I know)

Set about 30 years after Alien 3. WY satellites are actively looking for traces of the alien. The heat bloom should have been found from a pyramid located deep beneath a jungle planet with plenty of nearby human colonies so that the threat of the alien getting out is actually valid.

Charles Bishop Weyland should have been Michael Bishop.

The archeologists should have been accompanied by colonial marines.

Giger's Alien vs. Winston's Predator.

R rating.

Film 60 minutes longer.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

PG-13 rating for AVP makes no sense. Freddy vs. Jason was allow to be rated R and that movie came out a year earlier then AVP.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Different studio, different concerns. Lower age ratings allow for more people to see the film.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 12, 2015, 12:24:20 PMWhy was the vision changed?

Because Paul Anderson told them to. He was responsible for how the creatures looked, not ADI.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 14, 2015, 08:59:17 AM
Because Paul Anderson told them to. He was responsible for how the creatures looked, not ADI.

Yeah I know. But that's the point. Why change it at all when it is such an iconic trait for the character?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed