New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien.

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

Author
New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien. (Read 21,480 times)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 10:35:50 PM
Everybody can't always agree on everything. The world would be boring as hell if we did. For me, the movies have fallen short in crucial areas. If they haven't for you, that's great. It means there are two more alien movies you enjoy more than I can.

Painful in a way cuz how I would love to talk about Prometheus and Covenant the same way we do about Alien and Aliens. Unfortunately, Prometheus and Covenant were weak movies with Covenant being the weakest of them all. Just thinking about the beginning of Covenant itself pissess me off, like experts on your respective fields but forget all safety precautions and years of study cuz plot reasons.....please stop with the movies being disrespectful to human intelligence, I hate how these characters are written for the sake of story convince.

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 10:30:15 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 05:43:55 PM
Making David the creator of the alien means that it is simply a proxy creation of humanity. It was made by something that we made.

That is cheap, lazy and redundant.

No, it just goes against the grain of what you wanted. It's not cheap, lazy or redundant at all.

I just think they could've put a bit more thought into it than, "the bad guy did it".

They did, but I'll never convince you, so f**k it.

Doesn't the strife that it generates in the fandom feed and sustain you like the sweetest of wines?

D88M

I want him to end his trilogy and i want good Alien, Predator, and Alien Versus Predator movies, the franchises have lots of potential but they do nothing with it.

Local Trouble

Just give it to Taika Waititi.

j0nesy

i wouldn't say no to that, but if we're dreaming, denis villeneuve please

Local Trouble

We aren't that lucky.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 06, 2020, 03:03:56 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 10:30:15 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 05:43:55 PM
Making David the creator of the alien means that it is simply a proxy creation of humanity. It was made by something that we made.

That is cheap, lazy and redundant.

No, it just goes against the grain of what you wanted. It's not cheap, lazy or redundant at all.

I just think they could've put a bit more thought into it than, "the bad guy did it".

They did, but I'll never convince you, so f**k it.

Doesn't the strife that it generates in the fandom feed and sustain you like the sweetest of wines?

Yeah but I'm also not going to put much energy into my own contributions if I can just bait Necro or NA into writing an essay for me.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: j0nesy on Jun 06, 2020, 04:17:50 AM
i wouldn't say no to that, but if we're dreaming, denis villeneuve please

Word!! Right? But I don't know, Denis' stuff is gorgeous and amazing, but a bit too stark sometimes. I'm an unabashed fan of that 70's Métal hurlant aesthetic, highly stylized like "Mandy", or the "Color Out of Space". I'm such a sucker for the fearless artistic diversity of some of the earliest Dark Horse stuff.

The powers that be need to stop banking of massively funded tentpoles and meet somewhere beautifully half way in between the bank-breaking budgets of Hollywood style blockbusters and the modestly funded fan films that came out of the 40th Anniversary shorts. Do a series of Fox Searchlight style artsy takes that explore bold and different visions on indie film production budgets flush in the kind of diversity of storytelling that Dark Horse embraced. You might get some duds, but you're bound to get some absolute gems as well.

If y'all haven't checked it out, take a peek at Blood Engines, I've only seen one ep so far, but it's the perfect vibe for that 70's Space Truckin' junkie in your family. Straight up Classic Heavy Metal style. Less on the Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and more on the 300 or Fury Road style side.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 05, 2020, 06:15:46 PM
As for David the creator, I agree that it lessens the mystery that I loved in Alien. But I appreciate how it enriches the whole concept thematically. The Alien coming from the imagination of a perverted, deranged AI feels totally appropriate for a rapey creature that violates the human body in every way it can, while being perfectly efficient at what it's meant for. It's the equal AI. It fits with Giger's disturbing visuals and neatly ties into Ash's behaviour in the original. It helps that David is a good character, played wonderfully by Fassbender.

I feel the same. On the one hand, I hate the apparent killing of the ancient Lovecraftian elements of the Alien. Can that be resurrected with the accelerant? Maybe! But until then...the making of the Alien as we know it a recent creation is something I really dislike about the prequels.

However, I truly love the thematic elements it introduces. That it was specifically designed by David as a perversion of reproduction that he wants, but cannot do, I think is really fascinating. I love it! It's a film that really has me on both ends of the stick.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 08, 2020, 08:36:33 AM
I feel the same. On the one hand, I hate the apparent killing of the ancient Lovecraftian elements of the Alien. Can that be resurrected with the accelerant? Maybe! [...]

I mean, where do you think the engineers got that crazy goo? Once your arcane science advances far enough to start tearing rifts in spacetime, you never quite know what your race will find in those dark and membranous voids between dimension. It might just be something that could seriously f**k up one's perfect composure; and maybe, just maybe, it's something that will blow your culture's damn mind in the process.

I say long live that new flesh.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 08, 2020, 08:36:33 AM
Quote from: Evanus on Jun 05, 2020, 06:15:46 PM
As for David the creator, I agree that it lessens the mystery that I loved in Alien. But I appreciate how it enriches the whole concept thematically. The Alien coming from the imagination of a perverted, deranged AI feels totally appropriate for a rapey creature that violates the human body in every way it can, while being perfectly efficient at what it's meant for. It's the equal AI. It fits with Giger's disturbing visuals and neatly ties into Ash's behaviour in the original. It helps that David is a good character, played wonderfully by Fassbender.

I feel the same. On the one hand, I hate the apparent killing of the ancient Lovecraftian elements of the Alien. Can that be resurrected with the accelerant? Maybe! But until then...the making of the Alien as we know it a recent creation is something I really dislike about the prequels.

However, I truly love the thematic elements it introduces. That it was specifically designed by David as a perversion of reproduction that he wants, but cannot do, I think is really fascinating. I love it! It's a film that really has me on both ends of the stick.

That about describes my feelings on the films as well.  I think the best way to resolve this is for it to turn out that David duplicated what already existed, and through the same fault in his logic that allowed him to attribute the credit for a poem to the wrong author, he felt that he created the aliens.

razeak

I would be happy if we can just say he put his stamp on the recipe, while keeping the ancient, Lovecraftian mystery surrounding the original.

The themes introduced in the prequels are fascinating, even if I have my complaints with the packaging. It can all coexist.

Perfect-Organism

Yeah, that could work.

But, I'm not inclined with him having anything to do with the derelict on LV-426.  If that ship has not been there for thousands of years, it's a retcon of one of the best elements of the series.

RidleyScott99

I hope and pray for: THE LAST DUEL in 2020. GUCCI in 2021. ALIEN: AWAKENING in 2022. After that, Ridley Scott could make 3 Huge movies. I hope and pray Ridley Scott Directs 6 huges movies before he dies.

Kradan

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed