New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien.

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

Author
New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien. (Read 21,957 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Rudiger on Jun 05, 2020, 08:03:40 AM
Scott's judgement always felt off to me. The idea that the Alien was created by a robot just isn't scary. The idea that it could exist in nature is the stuff of nightmares.  Equally terrifying was the original cocoon scene that he cut... being absorbed slowly into an egg / face hugger is a fate far worse than death. The focus on David is just so underwhelming and dull.

Hard disagree to all of that, except the egg morphing.

aliens13

We can discuss if Prometheus and Covenant are good films... If Ridley should direct the next Alien movie... But the thing that we all must be agreed is that Prometheus should had been like  the Jon Spaihts script, the direct Alien prequel.

But talking about the two movies that we get, I really liked Covenant. It's easily the best film since Alien 3. Prometheus O want to like it but it was a big disappointment and the troubles that it have aren't easy of ignore. About David being the Alien creator, I don't think so, I always looked it like David only copied and continued the work of the Engineers.

Necronomicon II

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 09:05:46 AM
Scott's judgement always felt off to me. The idea that the Alien was created by a robot just isn't scary. The idea that it could exist in nature is the stuff of nightmares.  Equally terrifying was the original cocoon scene that he cut... being absorbed slowly into an egg / face hugger is a fate far worse than death. The focus on David is just so underwhelming and dull.

Hard disagree to all of that, except the egg morphing.

Ditto. Give me satanic, perverted, psychosexual A.I. baby. The future is biomechanical.

razeak

razeak

I'm not a fan of certain elements of the prequels, but David is pretty excellent IMO. He's Skynet and xenos are the nukes.

When Scott is finished, I would love to see someone with at least a few good films under their belt take a shot at the universe. No first timers, no music video directors, just someone who has made some beautiful film and has shown the ability to keep things intelligent and cohesive.

Rudiger

The egg morphing scene was wonderfully distressing.

A fast and violent death at the hands of chestburster or fully grown xeno would seem like a blessed relief.

But slowly morphing into an egg / face hugger, while still alive and conscious??? Damn, that's a hard way to check out.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Rudiger on Jun 05, 2020, 12:55:26 PM
The egg morphing scene was wonderfully distressing.

A fast and violent death at the hands of chestburster or fully grown xeno would seem like a blessed relief.

But slowly morphing into an egg / face hugger, while still alive and conscious??? Damn, that's a hard way to check out.

That sounds like "we haven't seen anything in 1979's Alien, that was the tip of the horror territory...but there is more!!!"

Sometimes less is more, though. 

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 04, 2020, 10:49:00 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Jun 04, 2020, 08:38:08 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 07:41:23 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 04, 2020, 01:38:30 PM
Ridley has no obligation to stick around if he doesn't have any interest. He clearly does–his interest just doesn't align with the interests of some groups of fans.
You mean majority of fans and movie goers.
Very doubtful.
How so? I recall the voting from here coming to the conclusion Covenant was at max a 6, which isn't good
Casual movie goers also didn't like the movie much, and from a boxoffice standpoint, Covenant did a bit over half of what Prometheus did
That's also not mentioning how turning the Alien into the child of a sexually frustrated robot is a direct downgrade of it's earlier vague origins

You can go to the covenant fan reviews thread and the poll results clearly say differently.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=57277.0
55% of voters found it good and 45% found it average, so no it doesn't say that much differently.

I really don't understand how people like the idea of the Xenomorph being this recent bastard child of an Earth robot, it completely destroys the mystery that made the first movie so good, less is more, specially in a Franchise about horrible creatures from space, the fact Ridley went out of his way to make Alien's origins tied to Earth is already a huge let down, even more when now they aren't even the main threat in these movies anymore, they are just forcibly inserted in the movie in it's last act to push useless undeveloped characters out of the script and then die while the real antagonist, sexually frustrated earth robot with daddy issues proceeds to throw creepy one liners around
That's also not mentioning the inconsistencies in Covenant itself, facehuggers being able to impregnate people in seconds? No need for them at all as David already has a Xenomorph embryo in hands that is also already shaped like a human spawned Xeno?

Huggs

Huggs

Making David the creator of the alien means that it is simply a proxy creation of humanity. It was made by something that we made.

That is cheap, lazy and redundant.

Voodoo Magic

Fair argument.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 05, 2020, 04:53:26 PM
55% of voters found it good and 45% found it average, so no it doesn't say that much differently.
It does say differently, actually. The majority voted for okay, good or loved it. Even then, people on the internet are more likely to complain so it isn't a really good indication.

As for David the creator, I agree that it lessens the mystery that I loved in Alien. But I appreciate how it enriches the whole concept thematically. The Alien coming from the imagination of a perverted, deranged AI feels totally appropriate for a rapey creature that violates the human body in every way it can, while being perfectly efficient at what it's meant for. It's the equal AI. It fits with Giger's disturbing visuals and neatly ties into Ash's behaviour in the original. It helps that David is a good character, played wonderfully by Fassbender.

Kradan

I wouldn't love Covenant as half as much if not for Covenant fans

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 05:43:55 PM
Making David the creator of the alien means that it is simply a proxy creation of humanity. It was made by something that we made.

That is cheap, lazy and redundant.

Yep.

Kradan

Local Trouble

Kradan

Kradan

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed