Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy

Started by ajm, Feb 10, 2010, 10:17:49 AM

Author
Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy (Read 171,675 times)

ajm

Hey All;

As the game is now nearly out and there's been a lot of questions it's been getting harder to track everything that's going on and making sure that actual facts about the game are seen by as many people as possible.

To help me out with this we (Rebellion) have empowered the Multiplayer Producer, Eric Miller, to speak forth as a representative on this very board.

Over to...

[REB]Trigger

[REB]Trigger

Hi All,

I'll follow on from Alex and give a small intro about me, and what I do;

My name is Eric Miller, I work for Rebellion Oxford as an Assistant Producer on AVP for Multiplayer and Animation.  Alongside our Multiplayer designers Phil Gresley (Lead) and Stephen Elkins and our Code team, we have been working very hard to bring you the best possible experience we can when it comes to lovingly ripping other players in half online.

We recognise that there has been a lot of confusion lately since the release of the Demo, and as such would like to engage in a dialogue with the community about issues or questions that people have - to that end, we have decided to directly engage with you through the magic of the internet ;) in order to provide feedback where possible to the questions that have come up.

To that end, I will be posting statements on this board in an attempt to answer questions about the game that occur in broad categories.  I will not be responding to private messages, and I will not be engaging in forum thread discussions.  This is not because I or Rebellion do not care, but simply because I do not have the time (in the case of private messages) nor do we want to influence the discussions that have occured to date without our invovlement.  Discussions have the ability to be derailed or ended simply because a "dev said X" and while answering your questions will to some degree have that effect anyway, we want the community to be able to discuss their desires and opinions without an official Rebellion response coming along to end such a discussion prematurely.  You've managed quite well without us before now, and we don't want to change that through our involvement.

I aim to post such "round up responses" on a regular basis, but of course this depends on the volume of questions that are asked.  If I don't post a response to your question, it could be for a number of reasons;

- I didn't see it
- Only one person asked, and as a result it was deemed to be a low priority question to respond to
- An answer is not currently available at this time (I will endeavour to point this out)
- The question asked was not gameplay related  (i.e. Aesthetics, Story, Audio, etc.)

Please try to not read too much into any lack of response to a question - you are of course free to speculate, but it's more than likely not the end of the world if a question does not get a response immediately.

Why here, and why now?  Well, we've been lurking on this and other boards for over 3 years now (3 years ago, there were less AVP dedicated sites to go to) - some of us have posted privately before, others simply watched ;).  With the release of the game imminent, we felt that this was a good time to get involved - and yes, the issues with the Demo made it more desirable as well.

Finally (sorry for the wall of text!) I'd like to thank you for reading this, Rebellion as a whole would like to thank you for your support of the game so far, and we look forward to the release of the game in 6 more days (USA).

If you see someone in a game who has a [REB] Tag, it's possible they're a rebellionite, especially if they're a member of our steam group :)

Cheers,
Eric

webley13

webley13

firstly - welcome - how good is it to see the devs entering the fan base arena - its good to hear your going to be keeping a close ear with us

I have a few questions:
will predators combi stick be ready for melee by final release and will the smart gun sound change?
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=28934.0
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=28930.0

can we expect more weapons or does the demo showcase them all?

will there be a class building aspect - i.e. defining your loadouts instead of picking them up old school? will the ranking system unlock more than just skins?

do you have any plans to decrease the range of stealth kills?

will controls be any different on the pc version than they are now in the demo (i.e. preds jumping indicator)

will the dedicated server allow for admins to disable weapons and or classes?

will it be possible to disable motion blur and head bobbing and swaying so its not so hard on the eyes if you play for hours on end?

will multiplayer scores show death counts, people like to go by K:D ratios to measure their success against those who just mindlessly "E" their way to the top of the score board

why is predators focus mode in "normal vision" not as good for pounce as it is in other visions?

many thanks :)

and by the way - brilliant job with the 3d engine - avp2 had a clunky 3d engine and avp1 was good but just outdated

i must say this engine is very sleek and cant wait to see some of the dx11 code

Kane

I don't have any questions to bring up yet, so i just welcome you to AvPGalaxy.
That being said.

Welcome to AvPGalaxy Eric. :)

Ghost Rider LSOV

Ghost Rider LSOV

Welcome and thank you for being available so we can ask things. :)

One of the newest concerns for the PC(I think) is the matchmaking only ranked games.
If people request for dedicated ranked games, can there be a change through a patch?

Edit: There have been some lengthy discussions and many tests regarding Aliens melee and the Predator's melee.
The Predator has the edge there, not by much, but he does.

Why does the Alien get stunned/dropped down so easily and is bested by the Predator while it's the one being the melee-only species?

Huol

brb just putting [REB] in my steam name.  ;D

WinterActual

Hi guys! I have only 2 questions - Is the game in Gold status? and Is there any difference between Aliens skins? You see a Pretorian is bigger than regular Drone.So maybe they are not just skins,maybe different models or ??

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to come on here and get involved with the community. Same goes for Alex and the others (I'll leave you nameless). It nice to see folk caring.

And now, to our members. Eric is here to answer our questions and provide us with a service. I realise some of you maybe sensitive about certain things but I expect you all to handle this in a respectful and mature manner. Anyone who comes in here and flames or causes trouble will promptly see their posting ability removed. I don't care if you're a veteran member of the community or a new member. I want to see people acting like adults not children.

I'd also like to point out that people should also ensure they read Eric's post and see what he put.

Quote- The question asked was not gameplay related  (i.e. Aesthetics, Story, Audio, etc.)

If your question does not relate to gameplay, don't post it. I or the other mods will only delete it to keep the thread clean.

Elude

Elude

How much larger will the maps of the full game be in comparison to the demo level? 18 players is quite a size for a tiny map like seen in the demo.

Also will the pulserifles muzzle flash be toned down a notch?

[REB]Trigger

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 10, 2010, 10:40:53 AM
I'd also like to point out that people should also ensure they read Eric's post and see what he put.

Quote- The question asked was not gameplay related  (i.e. Aesthetics, Story, Audio, etc.)

If your question does not relate to gameplay, don't post it. I or the other mods will only delete it to keep the thread clean.

Thanks Hicks (and everyone else so far!) :)

To clarify that point, by saying "gameplay related" I didn't mean to exclude questions about Multiplayer in general - i.e. technology or matchmaking questions, these are of course questions we would like to answer.  The general rule of thumb would be questions about the game, that have resulted from you guys being able to play the demo, but we cannot get into the granular detail about everything, and why we chose to do something the way we did.

Sorry for any confusion.

HutzDani

Small list of questions regarding the PC release for you eric :

1. Will we be able to disable the auto-aim function in the final release ?

2. Will we be able to have a toggle wall walk option like AVP/AVP2 instead of Auto/ Button press ?

3. Will the special MP maps that are included in some pre-orders become DLC at a later date ?

4. The issues with the LAMEthrower as i like to call it, will they be adressed ?

5. The problem regarding predators throwing disc, its unstoppable it returns and then they can re-throw it instantly, will there be some cool down period to this attack ?

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

First, I would like to thank you and the other Rebellion staff members (silent or otherwise) for coming here, and for answering our questions and concerns. It means a lot to the staff and to the members.  8)

Second, here is a group of questions that I find to be most prominent in the forum.

-Could the Smart Disk be rebalanced with some sort of cooldown or warm up period to prevent "disk spamming?" How about making it so preds are more vulnerable to melee (ie: being stunned) while using weapons? If "yes," would any of those options be something that Rebellion would be willing to look into?

-The Predators Heavy Attack has a very fast wind up and release and deals a lot of stun to the alien, while the aliens Heavy attack wind up takes a bit longer and deals little stun. Would it be possible to equalize this and give a bit more balance to the Alien/Pred melee pairing? Would this be something Rebellion is willing to look into?

-Heavy attacks large range in the demo, hitting you even when you seem to be well out of range (several meters away). Is this deliberate or a collision detection error?

-Many fans are displeased with the new Smartgun sound. Would it be possible to replace the current sound with the sound from Aliens? Would this be something Rebellion is willing to look into?

-The flamethrower doesn't seem to deal much damage (something I personally find rather appropriate given movie canon, if tedious from a gameplay standpoint), and many fans have dismissed using it altogether. Would Rebellion be able to adjust its damage to make it more of a viable weapon? Would this be something Rebellion is willing to look into?

-Many fans had hoped to see weapons, abilities and/or equipment such as the net-gun, spear gun, alien acid spit, Marine IR etc. in the game. I assume they were discussed in development, but why were they not implemented? Balancing issues? Would it be possible to have some weapons/abilities, these or otherwise, appear via DLC? Would this be something Rebellion is willing to look into?

These are the most common questions / concerns I can recall.

So far the game looks and plays great, fantastic work!

Thank you again for taking time out of your schedule to come and speak to us, and answer our questions. Cheers!

nyce

nyce

Hello there, here are a few questions:

- Will the auto aim, lock-on-target system removed from the PC version?
- Does Rebellion plan to release Mod-tools for PC, so we can make fresh content or mods?
- What other things can we set on dedicated servers other than the usual time, score limit, maps? Like: Allow trophy/stealth kills, number of Aliens, Preds, Marines in matches, votes like next map, remove players...
- Are the aliens going to be faster as we've seen in the Marine gameplay movie, as you set the difficult level higher, so they won't just walk like a chilled-out-dude.

Thank you for Your time for being aware of the forums!

yaji

Hi guys, I have 2 questions. The first one is about a motion blur. Is there any way to turn it off ? It's very annoying for some people. The second one is about the pulserifle. Why its muzzle flare is so huge ? I can't see anything through it.

MadassAlex

So that explains why I've had that odd sense of being watched during my time on this forum.

I'd like to reiterate everything Eidotemit asked. I have no contribution other than to stress the importance of his questions, especially the ones relating to the smart disc and the balance between Alien and Predator melee.

Thanks for taking the time out to do this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed