Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over.

Started by Ingwar, Oct 06, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

Author
Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over. (Read 34,286 times)

Mr. Clemens

As SM pointed out, Alien itself already 'failed' in that regard - the SJ's a lot smaller when Dallas and Lambert get right up next to it.

That said, I agree with you: keep the SJ/Engineer at Luke n' Jake scale, please!

Rudiger

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 12, 2017, 02:08:26 PM
As SM pointed out, Alien itself already 'failed' in that regard - the SJ's a lot smaller when Dallas and Lambert get right up next to it.

That said, I agree with you: keep the SJ/Engineer at Luke n' Jake scale, please!

Yeah, but there was no "sinister" intent. Didn't they use children dressed in space suits for the establishing shots to enhance the illusion, and then a different model for the close ups. All that means was that the scale was off. That's just a simple continuity mistake.

What's clear though is that the jockey is significantly larger than David (or an other human), as well as the engineers in Prometheus.

SM

The scale was off because they used the same model for close-ups.

Where was there 'sinister intent' in any of the films?

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 11, 2017, 10:52:02 PMI never bought the derelict housed the massive chamber with the eggs. I always liked the theory of a facility under the ship.

Originally the egg chamber was in a separate building, belonging to aliens who once lived on the planet.
And the derelict belonged to other aliens who visited the planet and went to the building.
But it was too expensive so they merged the ideas.

The creators always said Alien is a b-movie with an a-movie budget.

Quote from: Rudiger on Oct 12, 2017, 10:59:25 AMI mean that the original space jockey is huge in relation to Dallas, Lambert and Kane, as well as David and the engineers we see in Prometheus. You can see that in the long shots and the close ups. If they don't stay faithful to that, they will have failed in my book.

It's easier to cast tall actors for Engineers, instead of using cgi to enlarge them.
It's cheaper to build sets suitable for those taller than the average human, but not giant-sized.

I'm sure if special effects were better and if money was no object, we had giant Engineers, giant ships, giant buildings,...

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Why even think about size difference? The juggernaut in Alien has even much larger halls and rooms, there wasnt any stairs, hyper sleep chambers or control panel with green energy in it. Ridley needed Engineers smaller, because now its not some creatures inside some telescope device, but the actual human actors. The fact is, that Space Jockey has mouth, teeth and eyes. . Jesus its clear enough, it meant to be an extraterrestial animal looking creature. . maybe even without any legs, and not some white looking humanoid. Is it not evident? Original Space Jockey could be propably made by CGI, it should be much bigger than Engineers and it would be a challenge for whole creative team behind the film.  :'(

HABIT

Quote from: Petr Švancara on Oct 12, 2017, 10:26:58 PM
Why even think about size difference? The juggernaut in Alien has even much larger halls and rooms, there wasnt any stairs, hyper sleep chambers or control panel with green energy in it. Ridley needed Engineers smaller, because now its not some creatures inside some telescope device, but the actual human actors. The fact is, that Space Jockey has mouth, teeth and eyes. . Jesus its clear enough, it meant to be an extraterrestial animal looking creature. . maybe even without any legs, and not some white looking humanoid. Is it not evident? Original Space Jockey could be propably made by CGI, it should be much bigger than Engineers and it would be a challenge for whole creative team behind the film.  :'(
Mhm.

SM

The halls in the Derelict and both Juggernauts are much the same size.

Alex Delarge

Alex Delarge

I have been a fan of alien since the first movie came out but since I watched the latest movie I have given up on the series and gradually thrown away or sold everything alien related. What a disappointment, :(  ???  ::)

If Scott didn't want to make another another movie, then why didn't he just make a completely different movie? Why sign on to the Alien franchise just to turn it into something else entirely?

markweatherill

Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 06, 2017, 11:32:03 PM
If this means David turns Origae 6 into "Planet H.R. Giger Painting" I'm in.

Would you settle for Planet 'Dane Hallett et al'?

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2017, 06:06:11 AM
The halls in the Derelict and both Juggernauts are much the same size.

Isn't that because the two ships are identical?

Marcus9000

Quote from: irn on Oct 07, 2017, 05:24:37 PM
Quote from: Marcus9000 on Oct 07, 2017, 01:19:52 AM
We all know that whatever happens in the next Alien film we need to know what caused LV426 ship and eggs....

No, we really don't.

I think it is a stick on we will find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcus9000

Quote from: Naissus on Oct 11, 2017, 01:10:58 AM
I just hope in the next movie we find out that David recreated the Xenomorph.  The Xenomorph, we know, being a forbidden weapon that has not been used or allowed to be used for thousands of years (Alien 1 Derelict) resulting in the complete extermination of David and any loose ends.

That would be far more satisfying I think.

I want the alien universe to be widened not narrowed by humans or androids creating the xenomorph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Crusher

I've never been happy about David being the creator of the xenomorphs. The franchise can still be fixed by reversing this. Alien 1979 held so much mysterious darkness, that I feel like that has been ruined by Alien Covenant.

Rudiger

Quote from: The Crusher on Oct 31, 2017, 02:09:23 PM
I've never been happy about David being the creator of the xenomorphs. The franchise can still be fixed by reversing this. Alien 1979 held so much mysterious darkness, that I feel like that has been ruined by Alien Covenant.

Totally agree. Some mysteries - like where the alien came from - should remain intact.

Corporal Hicks

Personally, I still don't agree with that. I just think it's the direction that the prequels took their creation. If it'd have been some ancient tool of destruction created by some equally ancient and God-like race, I'd have been happy. Just not keen on it being a roundabout creation of mankind and made a decade or so before Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed