Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 02, 2016, 03:47:44 PM

Author
Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology (Read 118,797 times)

Corporal Hicks

I'll be mailing out for the rest of the world. Always do worldwide on the less heavy stuff, SiL! Only usually the figures and models that are UK only.

BryanThomasS

Ask Hicks.  :shrug:  Oh hey, he answered already.. See above.

GreybackElder

Excellent read! Definitely one of my favorite predator novels.Amazon review completed.Check this out if you haven't.It's a killer!

BryanThomasS

Thanks for reviewing, Grey. Glad you enjoyed it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Pressed on with a couple more last night.

Loved Last Report of the KSS Psychopomp. Possibly my favourite so far. Loads of atmosphere, and the description of the abbatoir/trophy room the Predator had created was wonderfully gruesome - these stories are generally doing a good job of depicting effective gore when appropriate without it ever feeling too much. Also, I really liked the multi-cultural thing the Psychopomp's crew had going on. The Arabic captain in particular made me think of what's-his-face from the first Abrams Star Trek movie who was in command of Kirk Sr.'s starship (I'm not a fan, can't remember names :P) In fact, I read all of Ahmed's lines in that actor's voice :laugh: Is it just me or did the Predator in this one feel like maybe it was a rogue bad blood?

Skeld's Keep was another good read. The Viking stuff could so easily have been cheesy but S. D. pulled it off (I actually missed her credit when I read it - poet - and didn't realise it was her until after I'd finished; if I'd known I would've had higher expectations). I'm not entirely sure "Grow some balls or f*ck off..." is authentic Viking dialect, but I got a good belly laugh out of it all the same :laugh: While it's not my favourite story of the lot, it did contain by far my favourite moment from any of the Predator stories I've read so far, in this anthology or otherwise:
Spoiler
The bit where one of the Predators tore off a man's head with its bare hands and then threw it at another, knocking him down too. 10/10 :laugh:
[close]

GreybackElder

Definitely liked Last Report From The KSS Psychopomp. It was just how I like my predators; ruthless and mysterious!! I also loved Stonewalls Last Stand, Tin Warrior, Three Sparks, The Pilot and Skelds keep! Each individual tale brings about its own predator with a unique personality(even if it's mysterious). Sometimes the alien felt more "human" with names and ranks, while other times they felt almost like a force of nature.Love love loved it! Hoping Eyes of the Demon becomes a reality!!!!!

Russ840

So I am two stories in. Wow. So good so far.

I have not read the Rage Trilogy.  How does the first story fit with that series?

Stonewall's story. Was awesome. Loved it. The predators are quite formidable so far.

GreybackElder

Devil Dogs are the 39th spaceborne unit of marines led by Akoko Halley. This story seems to take place long before the General  Akoko we know and love in Rage Wars. She's only a Major in this story. It seems that this story takes place well before the events of the rage war series and tells her story of the first time she encountered a predator.  Hope this helps.

Russ840

Thanks dude. I started Predator incursion but couldn't get into it. Perhaps I should retry

HuDaFuK

Quote from: GreybackElder on Nov 11, 2017, 03:36:18 PMThis story seems to take place long before the General  Akoko we know and love in Rage Wars. She's only a Major in this story. It seems that this story takes place well before the events of the rage war series and tells her story of the first time she encountered a predator.

I've not read the Rage War either, but I did notice that the Predator short takes place before Lebbon's prequel from Bug Hunt, unless she got demoted sometime in between - she's a Major in the Bug hunt story but only a Captain in the Predator one.

GreybackElder

The Rage Wars trilogy is a slow burn. Much of the first book sets up the plot, establishes mood, atmosphere and characters. It starts to pick up toward the end of incursion. Stick with it. You won't be disappointed!

BryanThomasS

Not bad after 3 weeks. Almost sold half the print run so may get to make another. Thanks for the encouragement and support!

GreybackElder

I hope it sells out and brings some more interest to the predator series. Congratulations to everyone involved with if it bleeds!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Nov 11, 2017, 06:24:25 PMNot bad after 3 weeks. Almost sold half the print run so may get to make another.

Considering how I've seen zero official promotion for this (here in the UK at least), that's good to hear!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 11, 2017, 05:45:06 PM
Thanks dude. I started Predator incursion but couldn't get into it. Perhaps I should retry

It feels completely different to the other entries but once you're used to it, you should be set. The Predators become far more formidable in the next 2 books too. Stick it through, try again and know it's a completely different feel.

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Nov 11, 2017, 06:24:25 PM
Not bad after 3 weeks. Almost sold half the print run so may get to make another. Thanks for the encouragement and support!

Congrats! I'm really glad to hear it's doing so well. I haven't enjoyed a Predator/Alien book as thoroughly as I have this one for a while.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed