David Woodruff Talks Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 13, 2015, 10:33:17 PM

Author
David Woodruff Talks Alien 5 (Read 43,468 times)

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 20, 2015, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 20, 2015, 11:29:09 PMNo they don't.

Alien 3 quite blatantly says they do.

And the faults with the later movies is more the actual designs rather than the execution, and we've no idea to what extent they had those dictated to them.

No, it doesn't. Woodruff and Gillis much like a certain director/producer who will remain unmentioned, do quite fine when they are reigned in and told in very exacting terms what is needed and what is not. When they're allowed to have free reign on "improving" already established designs, they suck gangrenous donkey balls. A:R was their show, and we got a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy and Giger's design turned into literal melted cheese.

No thanks.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 21, 2015, 05:53:12 AM
Really? I thought I was poking fun at ADI.

Ah, my mistake. I did not detect the sarcasm at play.  :)

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 21, 2015, 06:15:36 AM

And the faults with the later movies is more the actual designs rather than the execution, and we've no idea to what extent they had those dictated to them.

No, it doesn't. Woodruff and Gillis much like a certain director/producer who will remain unmentioned, do quite fine when they are riegned in and told in very exacting terms what is needed and what is not. When they're allowed to have free reign on "improving" already established designs, they suck gangrenous donkey balls. A:R was their show, and we got a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy and Giger's design turned into literal melted cheese.

No thanks.

Why do you feel the need to over exaggerate.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Well... I think it's usually true that special effects professionals make for crappy directors. They're just very different art forms. *Cough* avpr anybody.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Feb 21, 2015, 07:24:52 AM
It's Xhan's usual approach to things. :P

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 21, 2015, 06:15:36 AMA:R was their show, and we got a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy and Giger's design turned into literal melted cheese.

You realise it was actually Jeunet who wanted a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy? He specifically told ADI to make the Newborn more human than Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

And given what the Newborn was, that made sense.

Xhan

Xhan

No, it doesn't. Woodruff and Gillis much like a certain director/producer who will remain unmentioned, do quite fine when they are riegned in and told in very exacting terms what is needed and what is not. When they're allowed to have free reign on "improving" already established designs, they suck gangrenous donkey balls. A:R was their show, and we got a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy and Giger's design turned into literal melted cheese.

No thanks.

Not the one exaggerating things here.

literal. melted. cheese.

it's what's for dinner.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 21, 2015, 09:11:27 AM
Quote from: Xhan on Feb 21, 2015, 06:15:36 AMA:R was their show, and we got a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy and Giger's design turned into literal melted cheese.

You realise it was actually Jeunet who wanted a fat albino hermaphrodite with scurvy? He specifically told ADI to make the Newborn more human than Alien.

We've all watched the same documentaries, read the same articles. The final visual thematics were in their hands, hence the eidting done post-wrap. More human than Alien is a very broad swath, and so is "make it delicate but dangerous".

razeak

razeak

No thanks.

It looked like a pretty accurate description actually. Melted cheese and scurvy were especially on point.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 21, 2015, 04:15:22 PM

No thanks.

Not the one exaggerating things here.

literal. melted. cheese.

http://media.giphy.com/media/bWVDG7IJxr8ME/giphy.gif

it's what's for dinner.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 21, 2015, 09:11:27 AM

We've all watched the same documentaries, read the same articles. The final visual thematics were in their hands, hence the eidting done post-wrap. More human than Alien is a very broad swath, and so is "make it delicate but dangerous".

Aside from the context of the film itself, and opinions about texture, the mechanics of how the alien works are far superior to that of Alien, and depending on scene, Aliens. The opinion you have is about texture, and what material they used to present it.

It's not a bad animatronic at all. It's actually really well built. The point of contention here is aesthetic difference, not performance. If you've seen ADI's other work, you would realize they're capable at their job, you just disagree with how they pulled the films off, over a decade ago.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

No, I think some of it has to do with performance, and the way that performance is presented too.

One thing I utterly hate is the roaring they gave to the aliens, and in all the films post Resurrection, the really silly looking lip quivering.

PsyKore

PsyKore

There's something lethargic about the aliens in AR. And I find they tend to just walk at their victims like they don't care. There's none of this attack-from-the-shadows business like in the prior films. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, I dunno, they just seemed more... unimaginative than usual.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

They're just as slow as the first Alien.

They're fast when they want to -- see the underwater scene. Something that does bother me is how the Alien on the ladder does not just pull Wriess and Christie down with ease once it gets a good grip.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh good god that alien drool...I don't remember it being that bad in other movies. Didn't ADI twerk the aliens for convenience in A|R, such as that fin they added to the tail so it would make the swimming look more legit? Plus they were just so damn slimy in A|R. They added a lot of crap that was not needed.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 22, 2015, 08:27:45 AM
They're just as slow as the first Alien.

I mean the first one, and even Cameron's and Fincher's, had more wraith-like qualities at times, and they moved with real purpose. The Res-aliens really lack those aspects; they feel kinda aimless and it feels like they just happen to run into people now and then, even though it's probably not the directors intention. I dunno, it's just the impression I get from that movie, haha.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed