Sterling K Brown in talks to join Shane Black's THE PREDATOR!!!

Started by ace3g, Jan 20, 2017, 01:29:33 AM

Author
Sterling K Brown in talks to join Shane Black's THE PREDATOR!!! (Read 39,387 times)

Whos_Nick

"Shane has his whole take on it and it's very different than the original Predator. It's got a really wicked sense of humor to it, which I love about it. And it's got a real camaraderie amongst the main characters"

So just like the first Predator?

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

To be clear: This movie takes place in the exact same universe as all the others. Dutch Schaefer is name-checked more than once. It's only a 'reboot' in the sense that this film is intended to jumpstart the franchise again.

Quote from: Master on Jan 24, 2017, 09:12:59 AM
I'm stating my oppinion as fact and claim I have read the script and/or have inside source I totally can't confirm.  I so cool! No body tried that before, Yeah!

K

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Apr 12, 2017, 08:47:51 PM
I'd love to know what your thoughts on Predators is. Don't think I've read them yet.

I've talked about it before on here. I think it is a passable but unremarkable sequel which looked and felt cheap and kind of tossed-off by the studio. It could've been much more. I liked Brody and some of the cast (not all - there was a point in those years where Alice Braga was the mediocre actress they'd throw into any genre movie) and I had a nice enough time but I was left a bit deflated.

Predators is also part of the reason I don't believe another jungle action/typical hunt movie a la the original would be a serious hit today. People saw that movie and didn't care; it's time to change things up. This is a much more committed effort on the studio's part to give the franchise to top talent, but it is very different. Whether people like it or not is down to them.

BishopShouldGo

I agree with you. On paper Predators was promising, but the planet shouldn't have been jungle-like. And there should've been more of the new elements e.g. the falcons, the dogs, the river hunter, etc.

There was no wonder and the cinematography was awful. It looked like a backyard movie and in essence it was. "Make it at TroubleMaker studios, keep it away from our meddling!" So, a Texas backyard. I did enjoy the casting of Brody, Grace, Fishburne, and Goggins though.

A Predator film that is not a hunt is refreshing and novel and so so so welcome. Shane being inspired by Spielberg, Hawkes and Cameron makes me very happy. All I could remember were Antal and Rodriguez talking about their sole inspiration for Predators: Predator. And boy did they ever get inspired, but not in a good way.

And why do you think a lot of the top talent they courted all turned it down? I heard it was because Predator is not seen as a cool franchise and kind of shopworn at this point, even with a talent like Black at the helm. And there was even surprise that they managed to snag Del Toro.

SpeedyMaxx

I'm personally not convinced Del Toro was intended for the Holbrook role like some people think. It just never read like a character he does in any way. I think it's likely he could've been up for Nebraska Williams, or the human antagonist - or a military intelligence role that is heavy in the third act. (I think Edward James Olmos may be playing that role now, but it's just a guess)

Whos_Nick

Predators was a disappointment, it lacked a solid director among other things.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 12, 2017, 09:54:46 PM
I'm personally not convinced Del Toro was intended for the Holbrook role like some people think. It just never read like a character he does in any way. I think it's likely he could've been up for Nebraska Williams, or the human antagonist - or a military intelligence role that is heavy in the third act. (I think Edward James Olmos may be playing that role now, but it's just a guess)

Olmos plays general Woodhurst.

SpeedyMaxx

Then my guess is correct.

D88M

the disney style jokes in IM3 were terrible but that is obligatory in the mcu, both Predator movies had humour but it was little and dark, i hope they dont go overboard but i dont have good expectations with this movie anyway

brokentusk420

Predator is the ONLY sequel that worked. The people who dont like it dont have any ground to stand on in their reasoning. Predator 2 put Predators to shame. That movie was just one giant homage to the first movie with hacky elements like that falcon, the dogs, and those awful "super" predators.

bobcunk

I was very satisfied with Predators, i loved the characters and thought the humor was great, I also loved alien resurrection because it had a different tone and had alot of comic book stile fun, The Predator needs that Joss widen sort of comedy in it.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Apr 13, 2017, 12:52:50 AM
Predator is the ONLY sequel that worked. The people who dont like it dont have any ground to stand on in their reasoning.

• Danny Glover, a talented actor who was middle-aged even then and who plays every action role as though he is about to asphyxiate and die, fighting the Predator

• The world being some sort of goofy futuristic dystopia in "1997"

• "Jamaican drug lords"

• Whatever the deal was with Maria Conchita Alonso's character and a Predator sparing her because she's... pregnant?

• Bill Paxton showing up to transparently cameo as Hudson the cop

• Gary Busey's random scene with his tinfoil suit

I could go on. Sorry, if people like it that's their prerogative, I've just always hated it.

Master

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 04:16:11 AM
Quote from: brokentusk420 on Apr 13, 2017, 12:52:50 AM
Predator is the ONLY sequel that worked. The people who dont like it dont have any ground to stand on in their reasoning.

• Danny Glover, a talented actor who was middle-aged even then and who plays every action role as though he is about to asphyxiate and die, fighting the Predator

• The world being some sort of goofy futuristic dystopia in "1997"

• "Jamaican drug lords"

• Whatever the deal was with Maria Conchita Alonso's character and a Predator sparing her because she's... pregnant?

• Bill Paxton showing up to transparently cameo as Hudson the cop

• Gary Busey's random scene with his tinfoil suit

I could go on. Sorry, if people like it that's their prerogative, I've just always hated it.

1. He played thogh as nails cop. Not super commando. He was believable, also it really doesn`t matter if you are in good shape or super shape. Predator will kick your ass anyway.

2. Similar world as in Robocop, falvor of it`s time.

3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_posse
   Do reserch before posting bull.
4. See that`s one of this small quirks that gives Predator it`s character. He is no Jason and I love it.

5. Standard Bill Paxton role, as in Terminator or True Lies (always Love you buddy, hope you`re in better place)

6. Bullshit argument

SpeedyMaxx

Nice link about 'posses' in the 1980s, but the idea that Jamaican druglords have overrun organized crime in Los Angeles in the '90s was both laughable then and now as well as cartoonishly racist.

Quote2. Similar world as in Robocop, falvor of it`s time.

RoboCop was dealing with a broadly fantastical future. This was supposed to be our reality with a few extra years. The movie came out in 1990 and posited that in seven years LA would be overrun by rasta dudes and looking like a demilitarized zone.

You can call my take bullshit all you like, it's how I've felt since the first time I saw it. I think it's a shit sequel, sorry. And I don't think it's ever made much of a huge impression with the general public either, beyond the alien skull near the end.

Master

I can`t convince you, you can`t convince me either. As far as I`m concerned it`s regarded as very good sequel and negativity towards it (paradoxically) I first encountered on AvPGalaxy. To each own I guess.

Going back to present time. I still don`t get, how going throught the most generic way, with new film, it`s going to enrich the franchise? Same goes with Super Predator concept. People didn`t like it in 2010, why go back to it?

Xan21

You know I just love Predator 2... with all it's whacky elements it still is miles ahead of the dreadful PredatorS which was just an awful homage to the original. I hope the new film goes for the same kind of music that the first 2 films had.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed