Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 81,511 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Nov 02, 2018, 02:42:02 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Nov 02, 2018, 01:24:05 AM
Predator? Sure.

Alien? No thank you.

Your opinion. At this point Blumhouse has a proven track record for solid horror/thrillers that make money. And that's what both franchises could use if we want more films.

Cheap horror films.

Alien doesn't do cheap.

(Sell Predator to Blumhouse, retain Alien.)

Voodoo Magic

"Cheap" is a word that seems to carry a connotation of poor quality.  So replace that word in your rebuttal with the word "inexpensive".

Inexpensive horror films.

Alien doesn't do inexpensive.

Well for Alien fans, they better bloody well better, because otherwise at this declining rate, Alien films will be a thing of the past (unless they plan on bringing Sigourney Weaver back).

The Old One

The Old One

Fair enough on cheap/inexpensive.

I disagree.

You just need a genuinely good story (Alien, Aliens, Vincent Ward's A3, The Cold Forge, Isolation)
and good marketing (Prometheus).

SiL

SiL

You can do an Alien film inexpensively, still set in space, with good effects. You just need a story to accommodate it.

Hell, look at AvP. For all that film's failings, the sets don't look cheap.

The Old One

The Old One

I can't agree, and TBH to a degree I don't want to.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 02, 2018, 03:22:44 AM
Fair enough on cheap/inexpensive.

I disagree.

You just need a genuinely good story (Alien, Aliens, Vincent Ward's A3, The Cold Forge, Isolation)
and good marketing (Prometheus).

Yes you need a good story, but you can also make that great story into a great looking movie without an inflated budget.  Practical claustrophobic interior spacecraft set building won't inflate your budget. And after watching the fantastic special effects created in low budget movies like Ex Machina (15 Million budget), I have the utmost confidence a great Alien film can be made with, let's say, 40 Million dollars!

Side note on Prometheus: I was very suprised when two separate people revealed to me they saw that movie without any idea it actually tied into Alien. I was taken aback when I first learned that. I guess I was just too close to the property. But yeah, going back to the fantastic trailer shown in theaters, it never wore Alien on it's sleeve.  It just looked like a fantastic sci-fi film!  Such a great trailer!

The Old One

The Old One

Ex Machina's not a viable comparison, MOON would be more so- but that only has two-ish people and no monster.
& The original Alien wasn't even inexpensive for the time and it's essentially what you're describing.

Highland

I always wondered how an Alien movie would do now, if you used the same design style as the original. I think it would fly. People are lapping up the 80's retro at the minute.

The Old One

The Old One

It would be bloody fantastic to see IMO.
People loved it in Isolation, and even items were described as chunky and retro in TCF.
The retrofuturism in general reminds people of Alien and Blade Runner.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 02, 2018, 03:48:21 AM
Ex Machina's not a viable comparison, MOON would be more so- but that only has two-ish people and no monster.
& The original Alien wasn't even inexpensive for the time and it's essential what you're describing.

Even though the Alien Universe has synthetics, I didn't bring Ex Machina up as a direct correlation to Alien, other than to marvel at what they were able to accomplish for 15 Million dollars including wonderful cgi effects.  (And Alien obviously would mostly require practical effects).

Quote from: Highland on Nov 02, 2018, 03:49:45 AM
I always wondered how an Alien movie would do now, if you used the same design style as the original. I think it would fly. People are lapping up the 80's retro at the minute.

Indeed!

The Old One

The Old One

Regardless, I don't think the budget or creation of Alien under Blumhouse would make nearly as much sense as Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 02, 2018, 04:12:15 AM
Regardless, I don't think the budget or creation of Alien under Blumhouse would make nearly as much sense as Predator.

Indeed.  While I believe both could work, I do agree with you that it would suit Predator more.  Cheers!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 02, 2018, 03:35:34 AM
I can't agree, and TBH to a degree I don't want to.  :laugh:
Put AvP's $40-$50ish million into a smaller scale movie without the attempt at globe-trotting spectacle and why not?

Alien had a good budget at the time, but Aliens had a very tight budget for what they were trying to do. A creative team and a good story that works within the confines of the budget could produce brilliant results.

Whos_Nick

Blumhouse works for slashers but not Alien/Predator

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Nov 02, 2018, 03:33:14 PM
Blumhouse works for slashers but not Alien/Predator

Yet Blumhouse films like Whiplash, Get Out, The Gift, Split, etc., etc. are not "slashers", sooo....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed