Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 81,513 times)

Xiggz456

Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 30, 2018, 04:47:53 PM
Is that alot or is it like $25 us lol

It's about $43 million which would put the final box office total to around $170 million.

CristianoRonaldo7

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Oct 30, 2018, 04:51:58 PM
Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 30, 2018, 04:47:53 PM
Is that alot or is it like $25 us lol

It's about $43 million which would put the final box office total to around $170 million.

Bad numbers. Even COVENANT did better than this.

Voodoo Magic

It's all relative to cost.

John Wick only grossed $88 Million worldwide. That doesn't sound great at all, until we learn it only cost $20 Million to make. That's why we got a Chapter 2, with a third film on the way.

So Predator will be fine if they just bring the budget down. More stories on Earth can be made cheaply enough.  Even if the film went off-world, other worldly desert, jungle, and mountain terrain can be found by a crafty director without set creation (although the sets created in some cheap fan films have been very impressive).

skull-splitter

Not saying that I could, but I do think it is possible to make a 30-40 milion film in this franchise that honors the legacy better.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 30, 2018, 08:32:15 PM
John Wick only grossed $88 Million worldwide. That doesn't sound great at all, until we learn it only cost $20 Million to make. That's why we got a Chapter 2, with a third film on the way.

Budgets aside, John Wick is also the new kid on the block, and he's got a lot of shiny toys. Just the gun-fu angle alone has the kids going crazy, R-rating or not. It's new, it's popular, and it has style. It clicks with teenagers, gun guys, action fanatics, etc. I'd dare say it has a much bigger market at this time than Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 12:08:54 AM

Budgets aside, John Wick is also the new kid on the block, and he's got a lot of shiny toys. Just the gun-fu angle alone has the kids going crazy, R-rating or not. It's new, it's popular, and it has style. It clicks with teenagers, gun guys, action fanatics, etc. I'd dare say it has a much bigger market at this time than Predator.

I definitely hear you, yet "John Wick: Chapter 2" finished last year at 171 Million Worldwide and "The Predator" will finish at the same number this year, sooooo....  ;)

Well written and filmed, Predator can definitely survive, even thrive in a slasher franchise model. I just wish Blumhouse owned the property!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 31, 2018, 12:12:34 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 12:08:54 AM

I definitely hear you, yet "John Wick: Chapter 2" finished last year at 171 Million Worldwide and "The Predator" will finish at the same number this year, sooooo....  ;)

Predators only made around 127mil and it was made for 40 mil. Not a bad return, but it's only 127mil worth of movie tickets. And after what happened to Covenant, they should have anticipated a more realistic demand for this film, and the budget should've reflected it. But there's always a chance they thought that because the director of Ironman 3 was helming it, and there was going to be copious amounts of the high-school humor studios seem to think is necessary in order to get anyone to watch these days, that it would be a smash hit.

The mistake was made when it left paper. It was a bad idea, and one for a franchise with less than the highest demand. Why nobody in charge could foresee it, is beyond me.

Corporal Hicks

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 01, 2018, 09:31:55 AM
Not strictly related to The Predator but still interesting and pretty on the mark - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/10/29/box-office-why-halloween-succeeded-where-blade-runner-and-ghostbusters-failed/

Dead on. Fox gambled Big with this one and got good numbers for a Predator film, but not so good numbers for an $88 million dollar movie. The fan film Dark Ages showed us that a solid Predator movie could be made on the cheap. I'd be okay with Blumhouse taking a shot at Predator or Alien for that matter.

The Old One

The Old One

Predator? Sure.

Alien? No thank you.

Highland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 01, 2018, 09:31:55 AM
Not strictly related to The Predator but still interesting and pretty on the mark - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/10/29/box-office-why-halloween-succeeded-where-blade-runner-and-ghostbusters-failed/

A lot of us having been saying the same thing for years. Small budget, good story, it'll make money, it just won't make squillions. I mean it's a guy in a suit.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Highland on Nov 02, 2018, 02:12:18 AM
I mean it's a guy in a suit.

No it's not. It's real. Mama said so.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are.

Xiggz456

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 02, 2018, 01:24:05 AM
Predator? Sure.

Alien? No thank you.

Your opinion. At this point Blumhouse has a proven track record for solid horror/thrillers that make money. And that's what both franchises could use if we want more films.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Highland on Nov 02, 2018, 02:12:18 AM

A lot of us having been saying the same thing for years. Small budget, good story, it'll make money, it just won't make squillions. I mean it's a guy in a suit.

I ate bad seafood once and got squillions. It was horrible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed