[Exclusive] Noah Hawley's Alien Series To Start Filming March 2022 in Thailand!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2021, 01:10:26 PM

Author
[Exclusive] Noah Hawley's Alien Series To Start Filming March 2022 in Thailand! (Read 19,707 times)

SiL

Being about anything effectively makes it about nothing. The IP becomes meaningless -- when you pick up an Alien title are you getting a story about Aliens, or are you getting another generic scifi?

General public sees Alien, wants Aliens, which is how IPs work.

Immortan Jonesy

A series could delve philosophically into synthetic people. Not necessarily like in Blade Runner, but as its own thing. Also, I wouldn't mind something like existential horror in Alien's world.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 17, 2021, 08:39:27 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 17, 2021, 05:14:23 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 17, 2021, 04:31:27 PMArcturians confirmed?

:laugh:

With some poontang, even better.

The idea of Arcturians as future transgender people rather than aliens was always stronger in my mind.

skhellter

Alien series is now about acid-blood monsters; ANCIENT ALIENS IN SPESS and gay androids.

It's not going back to being purely about acid-blood monsters, no.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Nov 18, 2021, 12:04:26 AM
Being about anything effectively makes it about nothing. The IP becomes meaningless -- when you pick up an Alien title are you getting a story about Aliens, or are you getting another generic scifi?

General public sees Alien, wants Aliens, which is how IPs work.

Yes that's an issue I have with Prometheus as a single film.  (Four Seasons of Black Mirror beg to differ in terms of the general concept though of the subject matter changing substantially episode by episode.)

Besides I never said it can be about just anything, just that Prometheus' indecisiveness opened the door a lot wider, for all that room in the genre itself.

As for the public wanting Aliens... and yet Prometheus still struck gold financially anyway.

It's enough to have the "DNA of the Alien" in it, if you can not find an appropriate place for it, we will all have to get used to this being the status quo going forward anyway:

Because the Aliens will not be appearing episode by episode, so you will hopefully have great episodes that by necessity will not feature the Alien once at all, and like a recent horror on Netflix that might even be the best part.

And if it follows the structure of Fargo as I expect it will to a degree as an Anthology as originally reported years ago, and it is successful enough to continue on, you will inevitably get whole seasons without an Alien to be seen.

SiL

Black Mirror is a terrible example. It started as an anthology - that was the expectation from the outset.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

But as already said... I used it as an example of that kind of science fiction being good and also being successful, nothing more, I thought putting it in brackets might make it clear that it's an addendum not part of the main response- my bad on that.

Immortan Jonesy

I believe something with the Prometheus scope would have worked better as a TV series, than as a 2 hour movie, and you definitely can't have hours and hours of TV show centered around an acid-blood monster. I agree, however, that the themes shouldn't undermine the Alien, but you need to use other concepts for wolrdbuilding and character development.

https://twitter.com/BFI/status/537718213736296449

I put that quote since I couldn't find the one about exploring the people of the future, who walk around in dirty sneakers aboard a spaceship.  :laugh: But seriously, I cannot omit my personal taste for anthologies, since it opens up the possibility of exploring different tropes of the universe. Also, I wish someone like Alex White were a creative consultant, as it would be superb.

skhellter

skhellter

as much as i like Alex White, i fear that a lot of their contributions to the series would be... "why don't we make this a bit closer to the Expanse?"
which is exactly what Into Charydbis feels like before the aliens show up.

And that was a wonderful book.. as a one-off.

That's not what the ALIEN IP as a whole ought to be: the space politics of faction X vs faction Y.

Pretty sure this first season is gonna be about WY conspiracy stuff.. and.. that's fine... as a one-off.
After that, if the 2nd season doesn't go somewhere out into space and explores some actual cosmic horror mystery (a big part of the appeal of the first alien movie...) then it'll be a gigantic waste of imagination.

BlueMarsalis79

It's funny you say that actually, because Legion, already did conspiracy in the middle of the show inside a building, with androids, a brother finding out his sister's inhabiting someone else's body... black insect like monsters... a giant pervasive burecratic entity they all live under and a retro futuristic aesthetic...

...hold on!

Kradan

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 18, 2021, 02:12:13 PM

That's not what the ALIEN IP as a whole ought to be: the space politics of faction X vs faction Y.

Well, settle in, 'cause that book sets up a whole goddamn galactic war !

skhellter

looking forward to never reading that junk

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 18, 2021, 05:56:11 PM
Quote from: skhellter on Nov 18, 2021, 02:12:13 PM

Well, settle in, 'cause that book sets up a whole goddamn galactic war !

Adored Into Charybdis. Without a doubt in my mind, the best Alien novel I've read.

I have zero interest in that followup book from another author with the family members of Shy and Ripley.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 19, 2021, 01:18:53 PMAdored Into Charybdis. Without a doubt in my mind, the best Alien novel I've read.

My sentiment as well!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 19, 2021, 01:18:53 PMI have zero interest in that followup book from another author with the family members of Shy and Ripley.

Agreed.

I was stoked for a galactic conflict follow-up, but then I found out White wasn't writing it and it was full of an improbable number of relatives of people we've met before :(

(No disrespect to Barnett, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I feel like White did such a good job building that world it kinda belongs to them.)

skhellter

that new book is 100% gonna feel like "licensed Alex White fan fic"

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 19, 2021, 01:18:53 PM
I have zero interest in that followup book from another author with the family members of Shy and Ripley.

who have some incredibly funny names too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed