Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,462 times)

Darkness

Alien 5 is totally dead according to filmmaker Neill Blomkamp. We last heard from Ridley Scott himself a couple of months ago that Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 project was never going to happen. Scott indicated back then that there was never a script in place contrary to previous reports and that 20th Century Fox decided not to press ahead with the project.

Today, technology news site The Verge have posted an interview with the man himself Neill Blomkamp and asked him about his experimental filmmaking venture called Oats Studios. Of course, they managed to have a question about what happened to the doomed Alien 5 sequel. Unfortunately, Blomkamp puts the final nail in the coffin – Alien 5 “is totally dead” despite him putting a lot of work into the project.

You’ve been asked about this a lot, but I'm guessing that your Alien concept is completely done, right?

I think it’s totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point.

It's sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it's gone now, and the way that it all is — it's just not going to live.

The Return of Ripley and Hicks

Blomkamp goes on to say that he wanted to be respectful to Ridley Scott’s films and the world he created with Alien. He almost implies that Ridley Scott himself put the brakes on the project because Blomkamp’s ideas were too close to Ridley Scott’s films.

As in studio politics?

Yeah. Ridley [Scott] was one of my idols growing up. He’s so talented and he’s made this film that really set me off in a direction. I want to just be as respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he created. I think that if the circumstances were different, and I didn’t feel like I was getting too close to something that he obviously feels a massive personal connection to, that things that may have played out differently. But I did want to be as respectful as possible.

Have you seen Alien: Covenant?

No I haven't seen it yet. But I definitely want to check it out.

So there we have it, whether it was 20th Century Fox or Ridley Scott himself, Alien 5 is dead in the water. Neill Blomkamp originally posted some Alien 5 concept art in January 2015 and the story would have brought back Ripley and Hicks, played by Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn. There was a huge amount of reaction on the Internet about the project and within a month, 20th Century Fox had greenlit the project. By the end of the year, the Alien 5 sequel had been put on hiatus. You can check out the concept art that Blomkamp had posted below:

Melting Man
Garden
Costume
Costumes
Xenomorph Concept
Newt Concept Art (Carrie Henn)
Xenomorph Concept
Xenomorph Concept
Xenomorph Concept
Costume

I know fans had their reservations about ‘resurrecting’ Ripley and Hicks but I think it would have been a cool movie to see. Unfortunately, with Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn getting older and older, the project seemed less likely as the days went on. I guess now we’ll never know what Blomkamp had in store for us – maybe he’ll post some more Alien 5 concept art in the future.

DwayneHicks

Jigsaw85

Thank god. Long live Alien 3!

marrerom

0321recon

Good. For most Aliens was the perfect ending for the Ripley character while others it was Alien 3. Time to move on.

SuperM

Glad to hear it. Franchise needs to go in new directions, not repeat old stuff...

Anakin21

Anakin21

Maybe it won't change anything, however all people who still want Alien 5 should sign the Alien 5 petition:
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/neill-blomkamp-for-alien5/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=button

Hughughug

Quote from: SuperM on Jun 03, 2017, 05:01:26 PM
not repeat old stuff...

Say, like Covenant did?

As someone who hates Alien 3 with a passion, this is sad news. Clearly Scott didn't want to share and killed the project or at least forced Fox's hand to do so. Thanks for that Ridley.

Salt The Fries

And good! That's because Ridley blew it out of the goddamn airlock!

The Alien Predator

Neil Blomkamp is all talk, Alien 5 is happening!

I'm joking.  :laugh:

I was never a fan of this concept to re-use Ripley, Newt and Hicks so this is good news to me personally. I didn't mind Blomkamp having an original idea without these characters which was before Weaver stepped in.

So, I look forward to seeing what Ridley Scott does with future movies.

Rankles75

Rankles75

A real shame, as it would have been nice to finally get a decent follow up to Aliens, but the writing has been on the wall for some time. Guess the series will just have to end with Aliens in my canon then...

Wonder if he will ever reveal where he would have gone with it? Would be very interested to find out...

Jacku

Shame because this could have worked as a big budgeted work of fan fiction that wouldn't recton alien 3 but just be it's own 'what if'

I think it could still happen. Maybe we have 5 years before it wouldn't be possible to bring back Weaver and beihn.

Captain dallas at Thedus

Captain dallas at Thedus

Help us Neill Blomkamp,you're our only hope!:) ::)

Vrastal

Im quite relived to hear that. I liked the final cut of alien 3 and never wanted ripley newt and hicks to cpme back. Their story is done and over.  Though i did enjoy aliens outbreak-female war. I like that they changed the name of the characters.  But hopefully if we ever get a new post alien 3 film i hope we get new characters  actors and locations.

I wouldn't mind if things moved to video games, havent had a good alien perspective  game since  avp2

Whos_Nick

Someone needs to give Scott a wake up call, he doesn't own the Alien franchise. There's so much potential for it, and we're stuck with his vision of infinite prequel films that retcon his own canon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed