The Weyland-Yutani Debrief - Videos about Alien Lore

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 13, 2018, 07:32:57 AM

Author
The Weyland-Yutani Debrief - Videos about Alien Lore (Read 11,752 times)

426Buddy

These are some great videos! I'm really enjoying them so far.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bad Replicant on Jul 15, 2018, 11:38:29 AM
Finally watched a few of these, happy to see AVPG getting into this and they're nicely put together.

Thanks man. We're aiming to really put out the best videos we can. Otherwise, what's the point?

QuoteMaybe it's me, but I feel like I'm noticing more scrutiny than ever with the xenomorph thing. I always just took it with an assumed amount of license in-universe. Gorman uses it generally as mentioned anyways, but I guess it got messier from there.

It seems to come in spurts. Every now and again an article or forum post about it will make the round.

QuoteAnd hey, Alien is a broad term too, but we give that one a damn pass just because it was the name of the film and looks pretty on officially licensed coloring books...!

Xenomorph: The Colouring Book just doesn't have the same ring!  :P

Bad Replicant

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 15, 2018, 05:37:04 PM
Xenomorph: The Colouring Book just doesn't have the same ring!  :P

I'd buy it. In fact, I'd buy two. Please talk to your contacts at Fox about this.

SM

Decent vid.  You've murdered the pronunciations there though.

What's the background music?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2018, 06:08:08 AM

Yeah, figured I would be. I'm not good with names at the best of the times.

QuoteWhat's the background music?

I'll check when I get home.

The Cruentus

Nice vid Hicks, I am surprised you didn't get tongue tied there  :laugh:

Be honest, how many takes did you have to do?  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Have there ever been any videos guest-starring SM?

Huggs

Huggs

Wow, just watched the last two of these. Darn fine job Hicks, very informative and entertaining. I could watch this stuff all day.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 16, 2018, 06:33:27 PM

Have there ever been any videos guest-starring SM?

Legend has it he was hiding somewhere in

Spoiler
Sir Mix Alot's "Baby Got Back" video. SM...Sir Mix Alot...hmmmm?
[close]

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2018, 07:25:23 AM

Yeah, figured I would be. I'm not good with names at the best of the times.

QuoteWhat's the background music?

I'll check when I get home.

Fair enough - but when your main focus is on Linguafoeda Acheronsis and Internecivus Raptus, I think the incorrect pronunciation detracts a bit.

Mind I tend to find I can get to anal about stuff that others either don't pick up and/ or don't care about.

426Buddy

Yeah, I don't know how to pronounce either name. Hick's version sounded better than anything I had come up with.

SM

SM

There's the point though.  AvPG is the biggest Alien fansite on the web.  BE the authority.  Don't just guess.

Local Trouble

What is the proper pronunciation?

SM

SM

Lingua-foyda ack-er-on-sis  (you could also get away with Lingua-fohda I think).

Inter-nee-si-vus (again I think you could also get away with inter-nes-i-vus)

I get that it's one thing to type a word and another to say it, particularly unusual ones like this.  I pronounced Giger as guy-ger forever until I heard it pronounced properly on making-of docos as ghee-ger (to rhyme with eager).  And even then I had trouble getting my head around the proper pronunciation.

Local Trouble

Apparently you went through the same thing as I did with Giger's name.  I was even in a state of denial at first and refused to accept that they were pronouncing it correctly.

Nowadays the mispronunciation of his name triggers me.

Has anyone ever mispronounced "SM?"

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 16, 2018, 01:09:53 PM
Nice vid Hicks, I am surprised you didn't get tongue tied there  :laugh:

Be honest, how many takes did you have to do?  :laugh:

I didn't count, I just left the recording going and kept re-doing bits until it sounded alright. I did redo it completely a few times too. Not enough times, though!

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2018, 11:57:49 PM
There's the point though.  AvPG is the biggest Alien fansite on the web.  BE the authority.  Don't just guess.

That's fair enough and a completely valid criticism. I didn't expect to get it perfect but I wasn't expecting to get it that wrong either. My fault for not checking beforehand. I'll endeavour to re-record and re-edit this again soon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed