Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,678 times)

RakaiThwei

Am I the only one thinking this will be Deacons vs Predator rather than Aliens vs Predator?  :-\

Master

Master

The1PerfectOrganism@ AvP design wasn't thesame as A:R one. They were similar but changes were made (mainly legs). I really like those Aliens. Deacon? Not so much.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 26, 2014, 07:35:40 AM
Am I the only one thinking this will be Deacons vs Predator rather than Aliens vs Predator?  :-\

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Remember that the Mignola AvP variant cover had a traditional xeno, and so did the Aliens #1 variant I found on Comic Book Resources a while ago. I think it'll be more like " Predator vs Xenos/Deacons/Engineers/other black goo monsters"  ;D

Rambo

Rambo

Does anyone know a good way to secure a copy of the Predator #1 Variant? Is it likely to be something that is included when a comic shop orders 10 copies of the issue? Or are there other tricks these days to order them specifically?

And I have a feeling it won't just be the Predator series that gets an issue #1 variant.

Ultramorph

Quote from: SSj_Rambo on Jan 26, 2014, 09:08:00 PM
Does anyone know a good way to secure a copy of the Predator #1 Variant? Is it likely to be something that is included when a comic shop orders 10 copies of the issue? Or are there other tricks these days to order them specifically?

And I have a feeling it won't just be the Predator series that gets an issue #1 variant.

The best way I know would be to check Things From Another World when the series comes out. They always seem to have the variants, including the retailer incentive ones. Shipping costs can be a pain, though.

http://www.tfaw.com/

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Master on Jan 26, 2014, 09:19:24 AM
The1PerfectOrganism@ AvP design wasn't thesame as A:R one. They were similar but changes were made (mainly legs). I really like those Aliens. Deacon? Not so much.

It takes some balls to say you like a shitty design, like a bad variant of Freddy Kruger or Jason. But kudos.

MrSpaceJockey

I don't see how this:

is any better than this:

Both equally ugh.  Maybe you think the AvP design is worse because the film could've used Giger's superior design, well ok then, but I think plenty of superior designs for the Deacon were passed on as well.

On a different note I hope they keep the Deacon tailless, unlike what we've seen in some concept art released for the comics.  I'd prefer a more human-like silhouette, which would better differentiate it from the Aliens anyway.

RakaiThwei

You and me both.. I thought the AvP Aliens were fine, much better than the Requiem Aliens anyway!

As for the Deacon... Someone had likened them to the alien creature from Alien vs Ninja, and surprisingly... that description sort of fits for the Deacon.

Master

Master

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 26, 2014, 10:23:54 PM

It takes some balls to say you like a shitty design, like a bad variant of Freddy Kruger or Jason. But kudos.

You tend to state your opinion as fact and create pseudo objective narration to strictly subjective matter. Still it doesn't change the fact I like nearly ever one Alien design, and think they fit films they were used in. You can really do nothing about it. I would have understood you being purist and discrediting other designs then Giger's original, but putting Deacon as argument is where you really fail.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Master on Jan 27, 2014, 08:43:15 AM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 26, 2014, 10:23:54 PM

You tend to state your opinion as fact and create pseudo objective narration to strictly subjective matter. Still it doesn't change the fact I like nearly ever one Alien design, and think they fit films they were used in. You can really do nothing about it. I would have understood you being purist and discrediting other designs then Giger's original, but putting Deacon as argument is where you really fail.

Well, first off the Deacon isn't exactly meant to be a Xenomorph just something resembling one.

It's more eerily human than any-one of the designs from AVP/AVP2, the only thing closer in spirit to Giger's original is the design from Alien3 and arguably Aliens.

I'm not saying the Deacon couldn't have been better, in fact making the design as it is translucent would've made it a lot better.
But that's really down to Scott wanting it to look less Alien and more parasite.

It still retains it's own sense of eerie beauty, close to the original Alien. Although the design is completely removed of bio-mechanics it has none of the problems that the AVP design has such as the fleshy shoulders, arms and the worst offender of all, the neck which has barely a semblance of symmetricality, never mind biomechanics. 

The Deacon also doesn't have: The unrealistic tail or dopey monster hands, although the Deacon's hands are admittedly quite large that is likely due to it being a cross-breed of human and Engineer.

In terms of the Xenomorph I am a Giger purist when it comes to impregnating humans.
But the Deacon can't qualify exactly as the traditional Xenomorph, nor can anything spawned by the Engineer's Vases.

And your correct about AVP design serving the film it was in, it does, a bad design serves a bad film.

Above is a Xenomorph.

This is in no-way a Xenomorph, maybe a cousin species that resembles it somewhat, perhaps even grows to be it but not as it stands.

And as for AVP, tubes teeth and a phallic shaped head does not a Xenomorph or Alien make.

MrSpaceJockey

Just asking, why is the ALIENS alien "arguably" closer in spirit to Giger's original than the deacon?  Besides changes made to the hands and feet, a few removed ribs and dome, it is practically is the original suit.

And your point about Ridley wanting the Deacon to seem less like the Alien by making it opaque instead of translucent confuses me.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 27, 2014, 05:03:52 PM
Just asking, why is the ALIENS alien "arguably" closer in spirit to Giger's original than the deacon?  Besides changes made to the hands and feet, a few removed ribs and dome, it is practically is the original suit.

And your point about Ridley wanting the Deacon to seem less like the Alien by making it opaque instead of translucent confuses me.

No, Alien3's compared to Aliens' design. Is closer in spirit.
The sexuality, the lips, the smooth dome etc

He thought it would feel too unrealistic, when it's directly birthed by humanoid creatures.

Master

Master

And when did I said Deacon is na Alien? Another one of your problems, you make big wall of text but most of it is gibberish not related to disscused subject.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Master on Jan 27, 2014, 07:03:54 PM
And when did I said Deacon is na Alien? Another one of your problems, you make big wall of text but most of it is gibberish not related to disscused subject.

What?

It's a reply to MrSpaceJockey's comparison between the two.

And I made the argument of the fact that in technical terms the Deacon in the last shot of Prometheus beats the AVP shlock by a mile, re-read my post maybe? 

Ultramorph

Slow on the news front as far as the reboot is concerned. Dark Horse whetted our appetites so far in advance with this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed