The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Feb 11, 2013, 02:17:39 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 143,526 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 13, 2013, 07:53:06 AM
EGM - 9/10

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

Sorry someone already posted it

OMG, this person might as well have shown a video of a f**kton of cash being handed to EGM for this review, f**king insane. I used to love EGM so much, and I was so happy when they came back after being shut down...now, I can't even bother to care. Gamespot did the same with that whole Kane and Lynch debacle, all credibility f**king lost forever in my eyes.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 13, 2013, 09:19:34 AM
I understand where you are coming from. But, to me, I am not, nor are most people, being hostile. Myself and OpenMaw are on two different sides when it comes to this game, but I know I could PM him right now and we would be the buddies that we are.

Its kinda like being brothers. There are going to be disagreements. We all love the franchise dearly here.

I appreciate that sentiment Prime, and I think it's true. My anger is not directed at members at this point, so much as it is directed at the developers and at the idea which walls in developers from ridicule. The idea that suggests that critical opinion is somehow a harmful thing for this game. It's not. It's to the games benefit. It might be harmful for the developer, when critical opinion shreds their reputation. That's how it should be, though. If left unchecked, they'd just as soon give us the bare minimum for the maximum amount of money, if through our actions of purchasing ANYTHING allowed them to do so. That's what so many people are fighting against. 

Gearbox dicked around on this, in a very big way. They need to either fix what they did wrong, or suffer the wrath of angry consumers. That's how it works. It's not a friendship. Close relationships between gamers and developers only work when the developers really care about the game they put out. That can only be measured in the developers actions. The atmosphere at the 3D Realms forums for the better part of ten years was very full of good will. We had very loose and cool communication with the guys actually developing Duke Forever at the time. It was fun. It was neat. ... But look how that mess ended. Everybody got fired, a small group of developers held on and worked out of one guys house, Gearbox picked things up and patched it together and put it out there. It was a mess, and not at all up to the incredible potential it could have have. Indeed, very much DID had, now that we've heard what some of the content of early versions of Duke Forever featured.

The same is true of the Alien franchise. It has such a high level of potential for great games. Games that will actually last many years, if they are done right. That's what I wanted for Colonial Marines. A strong and healthy community, and incredibly good single player game experience. What did I expect from Gearbox? I expected them to do what they did with Opposing Force. Something that good, only with the benefit of modern everything.

See, we can smile and all geek out about Aliens, but when the time comes to put down 50 to 60 bucks on a game, that is being hailed as "Oh so faithful, and up to the standard of a true canonical sequel to Aliens." (Really think about the balls of that claim. Really.) It better be worth every penny. If you went in, and all you wanted was a walk down memory lane. Good for you. I'm glad it satisfied you in that regard. ...I think it's clear that many of us are not satisfied by that.

Quote from: ScardyFox on Feb 13, 2013, 09:29:22 AM

Can I be the eldest brother so I can slap either of you around on a whim? It's what the eldest does...

How old are ya Fox?  :)

Dusk

Dusk

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 13, 2013, 09:40:38 AM
EGM - 9/10

OMG, this person might as well have shown a video of a f**kton of cash being handed to EGM for this review, f**king insane. I used to love EGM so much, and I was so happy when they came back after being shut down...now, I can't even bother to care. Gamespot did the same with that whole Kane and Lynch debacle, all credibility f**king lost forever in my eyes.

I guess Microsoft didn't pay them that one day, because they gave Halo 4 only a 7/10. Yet CM gets a 9/10. Just wow.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 13, 2013, 09:47:14 AM
I guess Microsoft didn't pay them that one day, because they gave Halo 4 only a 7/10. Yet CM gets a 9/10. Just wow.

If there was ever any doubt that they got paid under the table...THAT right there is all the proof anyone needs.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 13, 2013, 09:41:55 AM
How old are ya Fox?  :)

A seasoned  36, handsome.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: ScardyFox on Feb 13, 2013, 09:56:30 AM

You can be my big bruh then. If you were, like, seven, i'd have to throw you in a dumpster and roll you down a hill or something. Like my brother used to do.

Spoiler

Not really.
[close]

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 13, 2013, 10:07:45 AM

You can be my big bruh then. If you were, like, seven, i'd have to throw you in a dumpster and roll you down a hill or something. Like my brother used to do.

Spoiler

Not really.
[close]

Excellent. :)

And don't you put that not really citation. I bet it happened - its the cycle of life and thats fine. I was the youngest in my family so I know how these things work, lol.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 13, 2013, 10:07:45 AM

Spoiler

Not really.
[close]

Oh...that didn't happen to everyone?  :(

Elicas

Elicas

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/#comment-page-1

RPS trashed it, even though it's John Walker and he talks out of his ass 95% of the time.

The comment section also had my favourite quote so far.

"How many games is this for you, Gearbox?"
"Thirty eight... simulated."
"How many *decent* games?"
"Uh, two. Not including this one."

HappyAlien

HappyAlien

Maybe people are bitching but they should have brought out a better game. With Aliens so much has already been done for you (the developer). The world, characters, enemies, weapons, sounds and music. You have such a great base to start from that it shouldn't be hard to make a game that will make most fans happy and have non-fans enjoying it and maybe get a average review score of 80 plus.

As i mentioned in another post look what they did with XCOM they took something many people were not familiar  with (but had a hardcore fanbase) in a style of gameplay that wasn't too popular now days and brought out a game that made old fans happy and got new fans into the game. It also managed to get an average score of 90%.

These films deserve a good or great game.

Salt The Fries

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/02/07/aliens-colonial-marines-gives-us-the-bleakest-trailer-ever/

pathetic fan review by some geek-girl who isn't an official journalist of Forbes but a blogger, a contributor...

Oh and she thought this trailer was "awesome":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLbMHkNwTI

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

"How many games is this for you, Gearbox?"
"Thirty eight... simulated."
"How many *decent* games?"
"Uh, two. Not including this one."

Great quote which that sums up gearbox the best..

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 13, 2013, 09:47:14 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 13, 2013, 09:40:38 AM
EGM - 9/10

Brandon is a piece of shit,he represents everything wrong with gaming Journalism.

ShadowPred

Blaze

Blaze

Wonder what Randy Pitchford is thinking right now about all the negative feedback ACM got! Even more curious the top executives over at 20 Century Fox!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed