Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,460 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Tonyhartmorph on Jun 05, 2017, 05:36:37 PM
"Blomkamp was definitely smart with the way he went around getting everyone excited"

He wasn't smart at all, he acted like an arsehole if you actually think about it for a moment. Now people have the gall to moan about Scott 'taking away' their favourite Aliens movie that doesn't exist? It was all pointless, short sighted, obnoxious and... just plain c**tish behaviour. 

I've got zero respect for the fellow now, he thinks he can wrangle a film together knowing he'll get the rabid online presence of Aliens fans backing him? What a silly twat.

Yup!

SM

"Blomkamp was definitely smart with the way he went around getting everyone excited"

He wasn't smart at all, he acted like an arsehole if you actually think about it for a moment. Now people have the gall to moan about Scott 'taking away' their favourite Aliens movie that doesn't exist? It was all pointless, short sighted, obnoxious and... just plain c**tish behaviour. 

I've got zero respect for the fellow now, he thinks he can wrangle a film together knowing he'll get the rabid online presence of Aliens fans backing him? What a silly twat.

What's silly about trying to pimp a project?

Hughughug

Oh, cry me a river.

JohnnyChimpo

I meant more in relation to the way he whipped up a bit of a frenzy online. He knew the nostalgia/retro angle was going to create a buzz and get him a foot in the door. It may have been an arsehole move, but it was a smart arsehole move. It was extremely cheeky and it was arguably out of line, but it was a bold move that almost paid off. It looks like he won't get to make an Alien movie, but it got a whole lot closer by going the route he went than he ever would have by sitting on the sidelines waiting for the call. He took the initiative into his own hands and it never paid off.

Arsehole? Maybe. But smart all the same.

Kel G 426

It doesn't make him an asshole.  Neill made the choice not to be chained by Alien 3 continuity. Good for him!

FHGD

anyone responsible for causing this movie NOT to be made should be ashamed of themselves

zoidy

Blomkamp may have been cheeky to do what he did (I think so), and perhaps that makes him an arsehole. But the film isn't being canned for that reason, if it was going to be good for Fox it wouldn't matter. That's how it got as far as it did.

Lots of people, Scott, Blomkamp, being blamed for this.

It's Fox. Making a commercial decision. The rest is tittle tattle and irrelevant.

The_Old_Marine

The_Old_Marine

:'(  :'(  :'(
That's so sad. We had a chance to see a proper ending to the series but mr Ridley had other plans.
Alien Covenant was such a bad movie because  it didn't respect the franchise,  and it destroyed the potential of the Prometheus. I wasnt waiting to see Ridley Scott deal so bad with Alien and scrapping Blomkamp's project .

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

ALIEN 5 (or ALIENS II if you prefer) may have been killed off, never to be resurrected, alas...but here's a glimpse of Sigourney in the latest trailer for Blomkamp's upcoming sci-fi/horror shorts.  And things are gonna get quite gory in some of these mini features it seems...

www.io9.gizmodo.com/sigourney-weaver-pops-up-in-a-weird-new-trailer-for-nei-1795830348

(just noticed that she was also briefly seen in the first teaser trailer linked to in that article too, at the 0.41 secs mark)

XenoHunter99

If the Blomkamp who made District 9 showed up, I think he could have done a good job with an Alien movie. I was not excited for a return of the Aliens survivors, but I'd have liked to see what he could do in the universe. As it is, it will be okay if the movies go away for a while. No one with the power to make an Alien movie seems to know what to do or how to do it, not even RS. It is unfortunate.

newagescamartist

I wish someone would leak the plot. I really want to see what this movie would have been about. The one piece of concept art that intrigues me is the ship in the warehouse.

locusta

Funny trailer. Is this Alec Gillis in the end?

bb-15

Quote from: JohnnyChimpo on Jun 05, 2017, 12:29:49 PM
Logically, I wouldn't like to see this film get made. I'm not for anything that will retcon Alien 3.

Agreed. I have my problems with A3 but do I really want to pretend that it didn't happen in the main timeline?

Quote from: JohnnyChimpo on Jun 05, 2017, 12:29:49 PM
Resurrection I wouldn't mind losing, because it feels very disconnected to the first 3 films anyway.

It still has some connection with the franchise. I feel uncomfortable dumping any of the Alien movies as part of the main story.

* Also what really galls me about the A5 project is that Cameron wanted to make another sequel right after "Aliens" with Ripley, Hicks and Newt.
And Sigouney vetoed the idea.
Weaver approved of A3 and A4 and now she wants to get rid of them from the timeline?
smh

Quote from: JohnnyChimpo on Jun 05, 2017, 12:29:49 PMI would love to read a draft of the script, or a novel/graphic novel based on the idea of the film, ...

That might be the best place for this Alien story, as an alternate version in an EU novel.

;)

Scorpio

The only way Alien 5 will get made now, is if James Cameron returns to do it, which would not be for a while yet.  Given he was going to do Alien 5 before AVP came alone.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 06, 2017, 10:32:50 AM
The only way Alien 5 will get made now, is if James Cameron returns to do it, which would not be for a while yet.  Given he was going to do Alien 5 before AVP came alone.

Could be another decade. He's consumed with Avatar for the foreseeable future.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed