Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 94,024 times)

Lost_Hunter

Good/ Somber Motion tracker guys. Cooled the jets a bit. Have we heard anything front Illfonic or Trachtenberg? Any posts? Good post Necronoir

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Necronoir on Apr 20, 2021, 02:17:35 PM
Btw, there's a goof in your original article, Voodoo:

QuoteAnd within a couple weeks, a large anniversary update is expected for the upcoming Predator: Hunting Grounds video game.

It's the update that is "upcoming", not the videogame.

Thanks Necronoir. Fixed!

And nice analysis btw!

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Apr 20, 2021, 02:49:56 PM
Good/ Somber Motion tracker guys. Cooled the jets a bit. Have we heard anything front Illfonic or Trachtenberg? Any posts? Good post Necronoir

Thanks brother!

Heard anything from them in regards to this legal situation? I don't believe so. I'd be personally surprised if they do, at this current point of time at least.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 20, 2021, 03:08:58 PM
Quote from: The Necronoir on Apr 20, 2021, 02:17:35 PM
Btw, there's a goof in your original article, Voodoo:

QuoteAnd within a couple weeks, a large anniversary update is expected for the upcoming Predator: Hunting Grounds video game.

It's the update that is "upcoming", not the videogame.

Thanks Necronoir. Fixed!

And nice analysis btw!

No worries. On a related note, I just read the announcement from Illfonic that their next stream will include news of some sort, no doubt relating to the update. Cheekily, they're having it on 4/26, which just so happens to be Alien Day.

I've been banking on Cold Iron doing something significant on that day too, so it makes me wonder if someone is coordinating between them to make sure they aren't stepping on each others' toes.

Lost_Hunter

The waiting game, we need a Mole in Alberta

Proteus

I'd have to think Disney is advising Dan to not say a word about the situation. He hasn't posted a thing since his tweet about scouting. I believe it was the very next day the news about the lawsuit came out.

I'm curious though, are they still working through pre-production until May 27th or until an injunction, or have they halted already? That would be a bit telling right there. If they've currently stopped working, the assumption would be Disney feels they might be stopped anyway, so why waste money.

The Necronoir

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 20, 2021, 03:27:16 PM

I'd have to think Disney is advising Dan to not say a word about the situation. He hasn't posted a thing since his tweet about scouting. I believe it was the very next day the news about the lawsuit came out.

I'm curious though, are they still working through pre-production until May 27th or until an injunction, or have they halted already? That would be a bit telling right there. If they've currently stopped working, the assumption would be Disney feels they might be stopped anyway, so why waste money.

From the little I know about how film productions work, they may not save much money by temporarily halting the project though. Lots of staff, locations, contractors, etc would potentially still require payment during the downtime, on top of then paying even more when it presumably starts up again. Might be less lost simply by forging ahead, even if it does end up cancelled.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Necronoir on Apr 20, 2021, 03:37:03 PM
Quote from: Proteus on Apr 20, 2021, 03:27:16 PM

From the little I know about how film productions work, they may not save much money by temporarily halting the project though. Lots of staff, locations, contractors, etc would potentially still require payment during the downtime, on top of then paying even more when it presumably starts up again. Might be less lost simply by forging ahead, even if it does end up cancelled.

Speaking of downtime...

Before Kyle told us he was training for a big film, that we assume is Skulls.

So what kind of "down time" is his tweet 11 hours ago reflecting perhaps? 🤔

https://twitter.com/geno604/status/1384363406929457152?

Proteus

Another thing I'm curious about: if an injunction is passed and the date of termination is considered not valid pushing the next date to 2022, does that injunction remain is or is voided?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 20, 2021, 04:14:15 PM
Another thing I'm curious about: if an injunction is passed and the date of termination is considered not valid pushing the next date to 2022, does that injunction remain is or is voided?

That's what I hope is a good argument not to have a preliminary injunction.

Say the court finds the April 17th date is not really the valid date, and say June 14, 2022 is really the true termination date, what good is that extra time if the ruling is made *random guess* by December 2021?

Hey all, Disney was right! They do have the copyright until June 2022!  But sorry Disney, you only have 6 months to make a movie now!

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 20, 2021, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: Proteus on Apr 20, 2021, 04:14:15 PM

That's what I hope is a good argument not to have a preliminary injunction.

Say the court finds the April 17th date is not really the valid date, and say June 14, 2022 is really the true termination date, what good is that extra time if the ruling is made *random guess* by December 2021?

Hey all, Disney was right! They do have the copyright until June 2022!  But sorry Disney, you only have 6 months to make a movie now!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a preliminary injunction can be enacted prior to the hearing date, right? So from now until 27th the court could order that injunction? But if nothing is passed along prior to the hearing, that has to feel like SOME glimmer of hope. I'm only speculating because of the brothers really didn't want this new film to move forward, they would have already passed the injunction. Unless it already has been and we aren't privy to it, which is why you're getting a cryptic tweet from Kyle and no word from Dan. All speculative of course. This stuff drives me insane! Tough time to be a fan right now. Ugh.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 20, 2021, 04:51:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a preliminary injunction can be enacted prior to the hearing date, right? So from now until 27th the court could order that injunction? But if nothing is passed along prior to the hearing, that has to feel like SOME glimmer of hope. I'm only speculating because of the brothers really didn't want this new film to move forward, they would have already passed the injunction. Unless it already has been and we aren't privy to it, which is why you're getting a cryptic tweet from Kyle and no word from Dan. All speculative of course. This stuff drives me insane! Tough time to be a fan right now. Ugh.

It says May 27th is just a Motion Hearing for the Preliminary Injunction, allowing legal council on both sides to prepare to make their case for or against.

Motion Hearing [12] MOTION for Preliminary Injunction set for 5/27/2021 at 9:30 AM in San Francisco – Videoconference Only before Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler. This proceeding will be held via a Zoom webinar.

So I believe it is safe to assume it won't occur before this date. I don't believe the Judge could/would make such an order without hearing from both sides.

The actual trial gets scheduled sometime afterwards.

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 20, 2021, 05:11:08 PM
Quote from: Proteus on Apr 20, 2021, 04:51:40 PM

It says May 27th is just a Motion Hearing for the Preliminary Injunction, allowing legal council on both sides to prepare to make their case for or against.

Motion Hearing [12] MOTION for Preliminary Injunction set for 5/27/2021 at 9:30 AM in San Francisco – Videoconference Only before Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler. This proceeding will be held via a Zoom webinar.

So I believe it is safe to assume it won't occur before this date. I don't believe the Judge could/would make such an order without hearing from both sides.

The actual trial gets scheduled sometime afterwards.

Thank you. Completely overlooked that it was a date set for motion of injunction. Not sure what I thought it was initially for.

Kradan

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 20, 2021, 10:45:01 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility that the Thomas brothers aren't interested in the money?  Maybe they're just using this as leverage to wrest a settlement from Disney that includes a legally binding pledge to never use ADI's crabator designs ever again.

I suspect VM is their silent partner in this whole affair.

Sounds reasonable to me

Enjoy

That predator looks like he commited some serious crime and is freaked out   

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 20, 2021, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 20, 2021, 10:45:01 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility that the Thomas brothers aren't interested in the money?  Maybe they're just using this as leverage to wrest a settlement from Disney that includes a legally binding pledge to never use ADI's crabator designs ever again.

I suspect VM is their silent partner in this whole affair.

Sounds reasonable to me

Ugh! You guys are so crustaceaphobics ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed