Alien: Covenant Soundtrack *possible spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 06, 2017, 09:19:34 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Soundtrack *possible spoilers* (Read 54,384 times)

Citadel

Impressive. A sense of impending doom. This has me hooked.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Urgh.  I absolutely hate it.  It's a bad remix of Jerry Goldsmith's original score for 'Alien', spliced with the opening music sting from 'Gremlins' (a soundtrack also by Goldsmith) - @3.22...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9MntLiaV4&t=3m22s

Yet more nostalgia based 'member berries...

"Ooohhhh. 'Member Jerry Goldsmith's 'Alien' theme?"

"Oooh, yeah. I 'member that!"

I would have infinitely preferred a totally original soundtrack for this movie.  After all, that's what gave us the fantastic scores to 'Aliens' and 'Alien 3'.  The sooner this nostalgia craze ends; the better, in my opinion.  Here's hoping the rest of the soundtrack has a little more class than this.

Evanus

^ Yeah, I kinda agree.

Though I wouldn't say it's bad. I still like it. It's just not very original. But we've only heard two tracks, so who knows. The rest could be brilliant, for all we know.

SpeedyMaxx

Totally original scores? IIRC Aliens repurposed elements of Horner's other scores - he did that a lot throughout his career - but hey, let's not quibble.

Like it or not Alien is now a massive franchise. These films are prequels. It only makes sense for a prequel more closely tied to Alien than the rest to use elements of the classic Goldsmith score. I think damning the film for it is ridiculous, and I am far from this film's biggest booster.

Bad Replicant

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PM
These films are prequels. It only makes sense for a prequel more closely tied to Alien than the rest to use elements of the classic Goldsmith score. I think damning the film for it is ridiculous, and I am far from this film's biggest booster.

Truth.

For all we know, this could be the extent of Alien material being reincorporated, like the droplet of the theme used in the briefing in Prometheus. Honestly though, I hope it isn't.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PMTotally original scores? IIRC Aliens repurposed elements of Horner's other scores - he did that a lot throughout his career - but hey, let's not quibble.

Yes and Ridley Scott repurposed Jerry Goldsmith's score from 'Freud' for the awakening from hypersleep sequence in 'Alien' (much to Goldsmith's chagrin).  It's not quite the same as taking an existing soundtrack from the same series though and I fail to see the point, other than coasting on sheer nostalgia.  Is the Nostromo theme now just a general spaceship theme in the 'Alien' universe?  I guess not because it was also used for Weyland's hologramatic speech in 'Prometheus'.  So what exactly does this melody signify in terms of thematics?  Perhaps it's the theme for Weyland/Weyland-Yutani?!  I don't know and quite honestly, I doubt the composers/Ridley Scott do either.  I suspect it really was just repurposed for nostalgic reasons.  Thematics/significance of use... this stuff matters.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PMLike it or not Alien is now a massive franchise.

Aye, to be fair; I don't like that it's become a "franchise".  I preferred it when it was art.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PMI think damning the film for it is ridiculous...

Where did I say that I was damning the film entirely?  I merely said that I hated this particular track, for the reasons which I stated.  That has little bearing on whatever my overall thoughts on the film will be.  It works both ways, you know? It would be equally silly to say "I think praising the film for liking this one solitary track is ridiculous".  I'm 100% fine with other people enjoying the track; good for them I say but the fact that such a sentence hasn't been said towards the positive reception and only in response to my negative feelings towards the track reveals your bias towards liking the track and not liking people whom don't share your opinion.

Aren't people allowed to have their own viewpoints?  Can't we just respect each others views without resorting to calling out differing thoughts as "ridiculous"?  I respect those whom like this track.  I merely ask that my own opinion (and another, whom was asked "what are you doing here?" in this thread) be equally respected.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: St_Eddie on Apr 18, 2017, 06:43:13 PM
Yes and Ridley Scott repurposed Jerry Goldsmith's score from 'Freud' for the awakening from hypersleep sequence in 'Alien' (much to Goldsmith's chagrin).

Oh, he reused a lot more of Freud than that.

QuoteIt's not quite the same as taking an existing soundtrack from the same series though and I fail to see the point, other than coasting on sheer nostalgia.

For me, I think that music lasts because it evokes the similar themes of space exploration and the haunting unknown. That's why I've always wanted to hear it used more.

QuoteAye, to be fair; I don't like that it's become a "franchise".  I preferred it when it was art.

Well, that was 40 years ago. And even then Ridley was calling it a B-movie done classy, Texas Chainsaw in space. And reusing Freud.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PMI think damning the film for it is ridiculous...

QuoteI merely said that I hated this particular track, for the reasons which I stated.

Bit much brah, it didn't kill your cat

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:52:14 PMFor me, I think that music lasts because it evokes the similar themes of space exploration and the haunting unknown. That's why I've always wanted to hear it used more.

That's a fair enough interpretation.  Personally speaking, I can't say that I share your opinion though.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:52:14 PMWell, that was 40 years ago. And even then Ridley was calling it a B-movie done classy, Texas Chainsaw in space.

Well, I consider 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' to be art but I see you're point.  None the less, it doesn't mean that I have to like the fact it's been turned into a cash cow franchise (much like what's been done to 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' series for that matter).

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PMBit much brah, it didn't kill your cat

Is it a "bit much" for people to say that they love the track?  Again, it works both ways.  People are entitled to love/hate/be indifferent towards anything they please.

Richman678

He used a lot from Freud. He also rolled the credits to Howard Hansons Romantic Suite. If I remember right I think he convinced FOX to buy the rights to Freud's music so they could do that.

Now while I like they included Goldsmith's Alien Music....What I really wanna know is if they are gonna sample Freud or even the Howard Hanson suite for the credits.

Examples:
Freud Music (Used When Dallas Dies in the Airshaft)

Howard Hansons Romatic Suite (Credits Music)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Richman678 on Apr 18, 2017, 07:23:55 PMNow while I like they included Goldsmith's Alien Music....What I really wanna know is if they are gonna sample Freud or even the Howard Hanson suite for the credits.

Personally, I hope not.  Again, it would be nice if they go with a different classical piece for the credits instead of just repeating themselves, in my opinion.  That was one of the things I liked about 'Prometheus'; the use of 'Raindrop Prelude' during the credits.  Shame about the proceeding film, even if it did have some positives.

Quote from: Richman678 on Apr 18, 2017, 07:23:55 PMExamples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moW2KNVo3yo

"This video is not available"  :(

EDIT: Here it is...

I had no idea that so much of Goldsmith's 'Freud' score was used in 'Alien'.  You learn something new every day.

SpeedyMaxx

Yep. A huge amount was used, and BTW Freud is a great film.

St_Eddie

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 08:23:28 PM
...Freud is a great film.

I keep meaning to check it out.  I must get on that, stat.

Richman678

Quote from: St_Eddie on Apr 18, 2017, 07:58:49 PM
Quote from: Richman678 on Apr 18, 2017, 07:23:55 PMNow while I like they included Goldsmith's Alien Music....What I really wanna know is if they are gonna sample Freud or even the Howard Hanson suite for the credits.

Personally, I hope not.  Again, it would be nice if they go with a different classical piece for the credits instead of just repeating themselves, in my opinion.  That was one of the things I liked about 'Prometheus'; the use of 'Raindrop Prelude' during the credits.  Shame about the proceeding film, even if it did have some positives.

Quote from: Richman678 on Apr 18, 2017, 07:23:55 PMExamples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moW2KNVo3yo

"This video is not available"  :(

EDIT: Here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4902R56BXCY

I had no idea that so much of Goldsmith's 'Freud' score was used in 'Alien'.  You learn something new every day.

Odd I dont get that message. Well sorry about that, maybe its a region thing.

Jango1201

I think the music is fitting for the movie it's scored for. Alien Covenant is a blend of old and new in itself. Taking fresh ideas and blending it with Alien. Perhaps this will be the only track with a nod. Like how Prometheus used the same music cues for the Weyland hologram scene.

irn

Damn that's nice.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed