Should Daniels Survive? - AvPGalaxy Podcast #38

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 22, 2016, 09:14:31 AM

Author
Should Daniels Survive? - AvPGalaxy Podcast #38 (Read 10,421 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 38th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy podcast. In our latest episode, we discuss the recent news surrounding Alien: Covenant, Alien 5 and The Predator.

Podcast regulars RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and I are joined by community guest (and one of the editors of Xenopedia) HuDaFuk, as we recap all the recent news regarding Alien: Covenant, Alien 5 and The Predator.

Artwork by Alien: Covenant concept artist Dane Hallett. Not Covenant related.

Artwork by Alien: Covenant concept artist Dane Hallett. Not Covenant related.

We talk about the surprise news of Noomi Rapace’s appearance in Alien: Covenant, Danny McBride’s revelations about his character and the tone of the film and whether or not Daniels needs to die in Alien: Covenant.

The potential delay in Alien 5 is also brought up and we chat about all the right things that Shane Black and Fred Dekker are saying about The Predator.

We briefly mentioned WETA’s involvement in Prometheus but incorrectly said they didn’t do too much. You find specific details about their work over at WETA’s website. They also created the alternate Fifield Mutation attack.

You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. What did you think of the latest episode? Let us know down below! Thanks for listening.

Scorpio

I hope she lives.  Really.  She could be better than Ripley.

whiterabbit

Surely Daniels will survive this movie; she'll end up being inside of the space jockey in Alien.

Xenomorphine

Boy, you can tell I was feeling lethargic in the heat we've been having...! :laugh:

Nostromo

Cool, will listen to it tonight.

BishopShouldGo

It would almost seem like she'd have to die right. Otherwise Ripley would definitely know some shit.

BringbackJonesy!

Some nice artwork by Dane Hallett there!  Man, I wish that damned 'baby Deacon' had been given a bit more of a bio-mechanical skull-look like this instead...  :P

426Buddy

Pretty great episode, good job fellas. I agreed with just about all of it, was a good recap of recent events.

Should Daniels die? I think her death, if shocking, and in the middle of the film, would rip away the audiences safety blanket by defying expectations and would probably be disturbing. So yah I think it would work.

Also I really hope that the rumor about her being Ripley's mother is false, I think its just a really bad idea.

DUB1

To me, her being Ripley's mom is a bad idea that will require damage control so that her presence doesn't contradict the original movies. She doesn't necessarily have to die during A:C, though. I've come up with a few ideas for her in another thread.

But whether she was Ripley's mom or not, I agree with 426Buddy that killing her off would be unexpected.

Corporal Hicks

Like we said in the episode, unexpected would be good! The female lead has almost become too formulaic.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

It was a nice podcast - Your discussion included anything I would have added to what was said. So that was good.

I'm still having a hard time believing anything anybody inside the production says about this thing. The picture of the hand, while well-sculpted, was laughable. I already described it. Everybody tells the appropriate lies in production and on the promo tour. And Prometheus was crap.

I know, some people think Prometheus was great, but it was just a SYFY movie with a very large budget, and it was the tale of the galaxy's smartest morons. Scott will have to do a lot better than cribbing major plot points from AVP or even just replicating Alien if he expects anyone to care. I'm surprised how readily a lot of people here will just buy whatever is being sold in the runup to this thing. I still expect it will suck. When it comes out, if it's great, I'll eat that crow with a delicious spicy pepper sauce. But until then, burden of proof is all on them.

The unfortunate part is, the movie doesn't have to be good. It just has to make money. If that happens, we'll get more movies. See Michael Bay's Transformers franchise, The Force Awakens, etc. To that end, Waterson's character can live, die, get reborn, whatever. The success or failure of it will depend on the way it's played and the appeal of the overall movie.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 22, 2016, 10:07:36 AMShe could be better than Ripley.

Based on what? We know literally nothing about her character.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Great podcast guys! Really enjoy listening to funny and informative discussions. For some reason I'm always agreeing with the main trio of Hicks, Ridgetop & Xenomorphine. You guys know your stuff.

Also I don't care who lives, dies, eggmorphs or gets facehugged. I just want it done smartly foremost and in a horror rememberable type of way like every death in Alien. Story comes first, Alien scenes next followed by humans who we get attached too because of great dialogue, etc.

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 23, 2016, 09:58:57 PM
And Prometheus was crap.

I know, some people think Prometheus was great, but it was just a SYFY movie with a very large budget, and it was the tale of the galaxy's smartest morons. Scott will have to do a lot better than cribbing major plot points from AVP or even just replicating Alien if he expects anyone to care. I'm surprised how readily a lot of people here will just buy whatever is being sold in the runup to this thing. I still expect it will suck. When it comes out, if it's great, I'll eat that crow with a delicious spicy pepper sauce. But until then, burden of proof is all on them.

You know, I have a lot of crows around my house, Ravens too. I will send you one in 13 months and 2 weeks or so. :)

Yes Prometheus could have been better, but it does open up a whole new world of possibilities now. The way I see it, it was either to introduce Engineers-Xenocreators or Mad scientists and Army freaks. A mad scientist or army wanting the xenos story would have probably hit a brick wall after a movie or two.

With Prometheus we can add so much more to the story, more plots & subplots, more planets, basically more weird Giger shit going on than Army & or mad scientist which can be added too now. It's all going to be good going forward trust me lol. Just get ready to eat a crow or raven.

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 23, 2016, 06:46:52 PM
Like we said in the episode, unexpected would be good! The female lead has almost become too formulaic.
Kind'a weird that a character gender can become formulaic :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 23, 2016, 09:58:57 PM
It was a nice podcast - Your discussion included anything I would have added to what was said. So that was good.

Thanks. We aim to cover as much of the bases as we can.  :)

QuoteI'm still having a hard time believing anything anybody inside the production says about this thing. The picture of the hand, while well-sculpted, was laughable. I already described it. Everybody tells the appropriate lies in production and on the promo tour. And Prometheus was crap.

It's funny because here in the fanbase we see a lot of gripe towards Prometheus. It makes me think that for the fans Covenant will have a mountain of bad will from Prometheus to climb during promotion. The general public didn't seem to agree though.

QuoteThe unfortunate part is, the movie doesn't have to be good. It just has to make money. If that happens, we'll get more movies. See Michael Bay's Transformers franchise, The Force Awakens, etc. To that end, Waterson's character can live, die, get reborn, whatever. The success or failure of it will depend on the way it's played and the appeal of the overall movie.

It's a shame quality and financial success don't always go hand-in-hand. I'd really like to see a very well put together film that doesn't infuriate me that does well at the box office. If it's good, I'd be eager to see more of Scott's prequels.

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 27, 2016, 04:25:23 AM
Great podcast guys! Really enjoy listening to funny and informative discussions. For some reason I'm always agreeing with the main trio of Hicks, Ridgetop & Xenomorphine. You guys know your stuff.

Thanks! I think it'd make for shit listening if we didn't have some small clue.  :laugh:

QuoteAlso I don't care who lives, dies, eggmorphs or gets facehugged. I just want it done smartly foremost and in a horror rememberable type of way like every death in Alien. Story comes first, Alien scenes next followed by humans who we get attached too because of great dialogue, etc.

It's more a case of not wanting it to be paint-by-numbers. It's getting dull seeing the same old tropes because then we're not being surprised.

QuoteYes Prometheus could have been better, but it does open up a whole new world of possibilities now. The way I see it, it was either to introduce Engineers-Xenocreators or Mad scientists and Army freaks. A mad scientist or army wanting the xenos story would have probably hit a brick wall after a movie or two.

With Prometheus we can add so much more to the story, more plots & subplots, more planets, basically more weird Giger shit going on than Army & or mad scientist which can be added too now. It's all going to be good going forward trust me lol. Just get ready to eat a crow or raven.

For all it's flaws and irritations, Prometheus opened up a lot of avenues for future stories to go down. It's like you say, there's only so many mad-scientist stories Alien can do before you're yawning. Prometheus opens up a whole realm of other possibilities while still keeping some connection to the Alien through the biomechanical design or what we assume is going to be their connection to the Engineers.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 27, 2016, 04:37:39 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 23, 2016, 06:46:52 PM
Kind'a weird that a character gender can become formulaic :P

You know what I'm saying.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed