Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 306,263 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Oct 28, 2022, 06:00:04 AMKnowing jerry and Leona are on the train? Yes. But he's still going in blind and has no idea what else is there lol
Except all those civilians and gangbangers who probably got on at the same time.

QuoteThe predators, all of them, were basically Jason voorhees with a cloaking device.
Not in the least. Some of them from Predators, maybe. Chopper, sure. Jungle Hunter, City Hunter, Scar -- shit, even Wolf, all showed more personality, emotion, vulnerability and brains than Jason. Even before he died Jason was a lumbering zombie of violent rage with not much else behind the mask (well, after the second movie).

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2022, 06:07:41 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Oct 28, 2022, 06:00:04 AMKnowing jerry and Leona are on the train? Yes. But he's still going in blind and has no idea what else is there lol
Except all those civilians and gangbangers who probably got on at the same time.

QuoteThe predators, all of them, were basically Jason voorhees with a cloaking device.
Not in the least. Some of them from Predators, maybe. Chopper, sure. Jungle Hunter, City Hunter, Scar -- shit, even Wolf, all showed more personality, emotion, vulnerability and brains than Jason. Even before he died Jason was a lumbering zombie of violent rage with not much else behind the mask (well, after the second movie).

Yea he knew about everyone else getting on the train at the same time but still clueless about who or what was already on the train. Still blind; still dumb and not tactical at all. Just running in to slaughter a bunch of unsuspecting people, very Jason-like imo

So, because you didn't like the characterization of feral you think he's got no personality? Weird. I thought he had more personality than we've seen in a predator since P2, because he did spend more time hunting... well, those super preds did a fair amount of hunting too, but feral still sticks out to me over them...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Oct 28, 2022, 06:18:43 AMSo, because you didn't like the characterization of feral you think he's got no personality?
I said "more" personality. Jason has a bit of personality depending on the film -- not a whole lot, but some. More importantly, though, I also mentioned more things than just "personality".

I really really must stress; it's everything together. If we look at any single thing in isolation, there's nothing Feral does that other Predators don't. I know that very well. There's no argument there.

But that's missing the forest for the trees.

City Hunter is very different to Jungle Hunter. Totally different attack styles. New gadgets. Different vibe. Different face, different colouration, even a different voice.

But he still feels like a Predator. There's enough other returning elements -- thanks to returning writers, lead actors, and creature team -- to anchor him as that character. The netting is there, the aesthetic is there, the facial structure is there, etc. etc.

Even Wolf, for all of his many, many shortcomings, feels very much like a Predator. An inept, incompetent one, but still.

I've said it before; there's a lot of leeway with Predators. They're all individuals. But I feel Trachtenberg tweaked too many things at the one time when creating his. It's a death of a thousand cuts; no single thing really ruins it, but the whole doesn't mesh together like it should for me.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2022, 07:14:18 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Oct 28, 2022, 06:18:43 AMSo, because you didn't like the characterization of feral you think he's got no personality?
I said "more" personality. Jason has a bit of personality depending on the film -- not a whole lot, but some. More importantly, though, I also mentioned more things than just "personality".

I really really must stress; it's everything together. If we look at any single thing in isolation, there's nothing Feral does that other Predators don't. I know that very well. There's no argument there.

But that's missing the forest for the trees.

City Hunter is very different to Jungle Hunter. Totally different attack styles. New gadgets. Different vibe. Different face, different colouration, even a different voice.

But he still feels like a Predator. There's enough other returning elements -- thanks to returning writers, lead actors, and creature team -- to anchor him as that character. The netting is there, the aesthetic is there, the facial structure is there, etc. etc.

Even Wolf, for all of his many, many shortcomings, feels very much like a Predator. An inept, incompetent one, but still.

I've said it before; there's a lot of leeway with Predators. They're all individuals. But I feel Trachtenberg tweaked too many things at the one time when creating his. It's a death of a thousand cuts; no single thing really ruins it, but the whole doesn't mesh together like it should for me.

Well, for someone stressing that it's "everything together" now, ya sure did seem to zero in on the bear fight pretty specifically lol

And sure, feral is different from the other preds in a lot of ways, which is exactly why he has more personality (and individuality) than most of the rest. Or, at the very least, his personality and other characteristics were unique enough to make him stand out from the crowd, so to speak. But he was still recognizable as a predator.
(And sorry, but agree to disagree on wolf lol I probably feel the same way about wolf and the other AVP preds as you do about feral).

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Oct 28, 2022, 07:25:46 AMWell, for someone stressing that it's "everything together" now, ya sure did seem to zero in on the bear fight pretty specifically lol
Because that was a specific point for a specific conversation; I never said that was the entirety of what I thought of the movie.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2022, 07:28:01 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Oct 28, 2022, 07:25:46 AMWell, for someone stressing that it's "everything together" now, ya sure did seem to zero in on the bear fight pretty specifically lol
Because that was a specific point for a specific conversation; I never said that was the entirety of what I thought of the movie.
Fair, and the rebuttal still being that, that specific moment wasn't any dumber or smarter than a dozen other moments we've seen with a dozen other predators.

SiL

SiL

The original rebuttal was that he wasn't dumb.

He was. And that's fine. Characters can be dumb. Villains can be dumb.

If his particular brand of dumbness bothers people more than other comparable brands of dumbness, though, it usually means that other things aren't working for them about the film.

We're all willing to overlook "problems" if other things appeal to us and make what we don't like seem minor in comparison. The number of people who think Wolf is the ultimate badass is testament to that.

It's when we don't accept those problems that we need to step back and look at the broader picture to ask why.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Me trying to find a good spot to jump into the conversation, but backing out at the last second.

Great discussion about Prey, fam, keep it up!

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Am I the only one who understands with the name Feral has, he's just the type of Predator that is willing to go in, balls out, in combat compared to the stealthier tactics some of his counterparts had used? Things that we seen in regular human characters in other media, either hero or villainous characters. Keeping on the theme of brute force vs calculating intelligence, what is true strength?

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

We all know that real life predators never jump in to kill/fight their prey :D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 28, 2022, 04:20:28 PMAm I the only one who understands with the name Feral has, he's just the type of Predator that is willing to go in, balls out, in combat compared to the stealthier tactics some of his counterparts had used? Things that we seen in regular human characters in other media, either hero or villainous characters. Keeping on the theme of brute force vs calculating intelligence, what is true strength?
I'm pretty sure everyone in the conversation understands that.

Engineer

Engineer

QuoteThe original rebuttal was that he wasn't dumb.
No no, the original rebuttal was that the specific moment of when he fought the bear wasn't any dumber than a ton of other moments we've seen. But, I'll agree with this conclusion too; no, feral wasn't dumb even though a lot of people seem to think he was... (i.e., he didn't forget how his weapons worked).
Unless you're talking about a much earlier rebuttal. But just to clarify, I was only responding to the remarks about that specific moment at this time.

QuoteIf his particular brand of dumbness bothers people more than other comparable brands of dumbness, though, it usually means that other things aren't working for them about the film.
This right here is EXACTLY where I was trying to get you to. I don't think feral is dumb; not at all, but he has moments that may appear so. All of the predators do, and I mean, realistically, even the most intelligent/experienced fighters/warriors/etc make mistakes in the heat of battle and that doesn't just automatically make them dumb all around. So, feral having a moment that ultimately didn't work for you... Is it really that you think he's dumber than other predators we've seen? Or is there really some other reason it's just not working for you? (Sounds to me like you don't like his characterization, which is fine; I love his characterization... just difference in tastes I suppose...)

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

The only thing that reads as dumb to me with Feral was and still is the bolt gun given it only ever worked once and only did because the guy was stationary. It's tracking feature otherwise never works as intended and I have no idea why he continued to use it other than being the only other ranged weapon he brought. It's just this oddly designed weapon that's a massive liability to use. Like nothing about this weapon is ever depicted as useful and I have no idea why he has it.

That being said if there was ever a sequel that'd be good setup for the plasma pistol. Maybe Greyback has a similar pistol to the bolt gun, Naru thinks the same trick will work twice and it turns out the plasma pistol is literally just a space gun. No bullshit tracking feature, it just fires. Come to think of it that'd probably be the explanation for where his mask went. Naru thinks she can reflect the bolt and it blows up his mask while knocking her on her ass. Could be a funny scene. So on some level I'd accept it if it played into Greyback down the line.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

RoguePred1987

RoguePred1987

several....things....  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed