Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film

Started by aliens13, Apr 09, 2019, 05:24:37 PM

Author
Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film (Read 28,603 times)

The Old One

The Old One

A Female lead is a submission condition.
No Male lead, no robot animal lead.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 14, 2019, 02:25:16 PM

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Was there any official explanation behind that condition?

The Old One

The Old One

I don't remember.

SuperiorIronman

According to what I can find on the website it seems to be a condition that is a deliberate callback to Alien.

Though there isn't necessarily a rule for it (as in you wont find it in the requirements) it seems to be a thing that Fox and Tongal are looking for in the shorts which is probably why the last three shorts did it.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2019, 02:53:52 PM

The Force is female?  Wait, wrong franchise

SuperiorIronman

I'm going to be honest, I understand that being a thing they're looking for.

While the Prequels definitely have an overarching story for David, there hasn't really been an Alien film that didn't have a female lead. And even the AVP crossovers had one in Lex, and while Requiem being an ensemble even that had a deliberate Ripley callback. There is a precedent for it I'd believe.

The Kurgan

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 05:16:57 PM

The "Force is Female" shirt, had nothing to do with Star Wars. It was part of a Nike campaign for the celebration of the "Air Force One" shoe line and that they (and a couple of other companies) where celebrating woman who came at the top at their profession.

And now to the photo of KK. It was taken at the Archer Film Festival, an event aimed at young woman who are interested in the film business and want their future job in the movie industry. She was invited to speak at it because she is one of the most succesfull producers in the industry.

They are all wearing that t-shirt. Why? Because Nike was a sponsor to the festival (a festival organized by a school). What better way for a company to promote their line of shoes with a campaign about strong, succesfull woman, then at a festival that was aimed at young woman.

Naginata

Is the only character-related caveat that the lead be female? Because, really, that isn't much of a restriction; it describes everyone from Elizabeth Bathory to Mother Teresa.

Huggs

Huggs

I've said it before, the Alien films having female leads doesn't bother me, and I'm a dude.

The franchise kind of relies on the ensemble cast anyway. It's never really just Ripley or Shaw, etc. The lead almost changes by the moment.

The character balance is truly excellent. Plus, the male roles have hardly been lacking. Hicks, Hudson, Clemens, Dillon, Parker, Dallas, David, Andrews, Ash, Apone, etc. Even the avp movies and Resurrection had plenty of strong male characters. Us dudes, have been well represented.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Kurgan on Apr 14, 2019, 05:31:05 PM

The "Force is Female" shirt, had nothing to do with Star Wars. It was part of a Nike campaign for the celebration of the "Air Force One" shoe line and that they (and a couple of other companies) where celebrating woman who came at the top at their profession.

And now to the photo of KK. It was taken at the Archer Film Festival, an event aimed at young woman who are interested in the film business and want their future job in the movie industry. She was invited to speak at it because she is one of the most succesfull producers in the industry.

They are all wearing that t-shirt. Why? Because Nike was a sponsor to the festival (a festival organized by a school). What better way for a company to promote their line of shoes with a campaign about strong, succesfull woman, then at a festival that was aimed at young woman.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Engineers creates xenomorphs, Engineers destroys xenomorphs. Engineers creates Man, man creates android. Android destroys Engineers. Android creates xenomorphs. Xenomorphs kill man..... Woman inherits the space.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 14, 2019, 05:58:05 PM
Engineers creates xenomorphs, Engineers destroys xenomorphs. Engineers creates Man, man creates androids. Androids destroys Engineers. Androids creates xenomorphs. Xenomorphs kill man..... Woman inherits the space.

Jokes aside, it doesn't bother me in the least whether the lead is male or female as long as the story, and characters are good

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 05:56:17 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Apr 14, 2019, 05:31:05 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/y62P0aQUYLYAg/giphy.gif

Sorry then. I have seen way too much people actually think it had anything to do with SW and get mad about it.

Drukathi

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 06:01:28 PM
Jokes aside, it doesn't bother me in the least whether the lead is male or female as long as the story, and characters are good

No jokes. Natural selection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed