Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings

Started by Ingwar, Jan 08, 2019, 09:00:07 PM

Author
Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings (Read 19,986 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: bobcunk on Jan 09, 2019, 04:32:26 AM
Wasnt it longer? I thought the only difference was the the inclusion of the hive scene.
And technically the directors cut was the theatrical cut since Scott had the final say in the edit.

No, it's actually 11 seconds shorter.

The DC's a novelty only.
Both slaps should've been included in the Theatrical Cut-
otherwise the TC's perfect, but you can't have everything.

SM

Quote from: bobcunk on Jan 09, 2019, 04:32:27 AM
Wasnt it longer? I thought the only difference was the the inclusion of the hive seen. And technically the directors cut was the theatrical cut since Scott had the final say in the edit.

It's slightly shorter.  A truncated version of the hive scene was added as well as the transmission scene, but you lose 'do you mind it I put the transmission through ECIU' and the 'what are my chances' scene, and a stack of scenes have a few seconds shaved off.  After Brett is killed it really flies by.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jan 09, 2019, 05:02:20 AM
It's slightly shorter.  A truncated version of the hive scene was added as well as the transmission scene, but you lose 'do you mind it I put the transmission through ECIU' and the 'what are my chances' scene, and a stack of scenes have a few seconds shaved off.  After Brett is killed it really flies by.

I love the Eggmorphing scene so much but all the other snips really hurt that film - especially Dallas and MUTHUR. Also prefer the original transmission, not the DC version too.

SM

I only really noticed it recently because I only ever watch the original version.  It really cemented the original being the superior version for mine.

Valaquen

Alien's DC wasn't so good. Seeing the extra scenes was a nice novelty, though the cocoon scene was truncated and the Jockey SOS audio was pretty underwhelming. I think there was long fan cut that restored lots of footage and shots that was much better. There was an amazing shot of the Alien in the Lambert/Parker scenes that might've been one of the film's best, except it was cut.

Kane's other son

The "what are my chances" exchange between Dalas and MUTHUR is essential in establishing the hopelessness of their situation and is sorely missed in the "director's" cut.

Kimo

Definitely gunna see this, even if I have to travel a little out of my town. I always regret not going to see Alien in the cinema back when the DC cut had a temporary release back in 2004.

Xenomorphine

Never understood why the audio signal was changed from that incredibly unsettling sound in the original scene. The crew's reaction to it made no sense.

The Old One

The Old One

The DC should be called; The Marketing Cut.
Or if that's too on the nose.

The Special Edition.
Or y'know it should actually be scrapped altogether, just replaced with an extended Cut-
With all the extra scenes from the DC tacked onto the TC, with the original transmission-
and the original cocoon scene moved to before the tension ramps up, not in the middle of the escape.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I wonder if this new 4k version fixes any of the issues from the original film such as the Ash head cut, Parker and Brett's mirrored reflections, the raised landing leg while on LV-426 and the Blu-Ray's colour timing errors?

The Old One

The Old One

I bloody well hope so, especially for that Ash head cut.
PLEASE put the Cat smack in the Theatrical version!
The end of that scene is such a bizarre cut off-
the music just abruptly ends.

But I won't hold my breath.

Richman678

If it shows in my area I would go....but I doubt it will.

As for the 4K Discs....I will be waiting till the entire movie set is in 4K.

The Old One

The Old One

Somehow I doubt that AlienĀ³ will get the attention and care it needs
when it comes to the 4K remasters of the Alien series as a whole.

I hope they don't let James Cameron near the 4K of Aliens
with a ten foot pole after what he did to Judgment Day's 4K.

Ingwar

It's only one day. I have to sort my rota out because I cannot miss it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed